Old 04-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #1

Hello from Colorado

Hello all. My wife and I have been looking at RV's for years and are getting closer to being able to make our move, though it may be another year yet. We had originally started off with bigger dreams, and are having more of a reality and practicality check and are looking at some type of hybrid. At first we were looking at the full size 35-40 foot TT's, but upon more consideration, realize that for weekend local camping and the occasional longer trip, that size RV is not necessary. I'm also registered at another forum, so this isn't new to me. Wife and I have both previously tent camped and in pop-ups as well. We now have 2 children and another on the way (and that will be it). We are going again to look at more units this weekend, and so far have really only been impressed with Jayco, Coachmen, and the Rockwood Roo/Shamrock lines. As far as whether or not we're wanting a "true" hybrid with canvas bed ends, we're still up in the air. We are taking a close look at the rear bed slides like the Roo 23RS and 25RS. There are campgrounds at Yellowstone that I've been told do not allow any soft sides due to bears, as that is one place we plan to go. Our other potential issue is the weather in Colorado - it is possible to camp here year round, and temps can be anywhere from below 0 to over 100 degrees. Though I wouldn't camp in sub-zero weather, we're not sure how comfortable we could keep a soft side hybrid in 100 degree weather (mind you low humidity), and were also concerned about being able to turtle in areas that don't allow canvas. Anyway, I'll be reading through the forums and asking questions as needed. Thanks all!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're really doing your homework.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #3

Just down the road from you and it does sound like you have been reading alot.

Good luck with your search!!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your rv as much as we do. My SIL is from Loveland.
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoCoNoCo View Post
As far as whether or not we're wanting a "true" hybrid with canvas bed ends, we're still up in the air. We are taking a close look at the rear bed slides like the Roo 23RS and 25RS. There are campgrounds at Yellowstone that I've been told do not allow any soft sides due to bears, as that is one place we plan to go.
you've been misinformed, which happens a lot when people talk about camping at Yellowstone.
only ONE campground in Yellowstone, has a permanent ban on soft-sided campers, Fishing Bridge CG.
all the others, including Madison, Canyon, Mammoth, Grant allow soft-sided campers.
because ONE campground does this, everyone seems to hear that soft-sided campers aren't allowed in YNP.

the other less known positive of a hybrid TT, is that you can "turtle" and stay in Fishing Bridge CG.
Turtling is not putting the canvas bunk ends out and sleeping on the dinette or sofa, just like you would in any smaller TT.

as far as keeping the canvas ends cool or warm, it's easily done with solar blankets and Reflectix.
check out Popup Gizmos website. they make solar covers for popups and hybrids. they make a huge difference in temp control and also help keep the canvas clean and the ends darkened for naps or late risers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #6

FoCoNoCO,

What did you decide on? We are in the same dilemea but we cannot even find a 25rs to look at.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Hello I'm new here as well. I'm move around a lot but I'm currently in Parker, south of you. I'm looking at trailers myself. There is a lot to consider once you start researching. Its almost overwhelming for a first timer. Im taking my time and asking lots of questions. Good luck with your new adventure.