Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #1

Hello from Illinois

Thought I would drop in introduce myself. I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum for a couple of months now and think it is a great place to share ideas get guidance/advice from other members.

My family and I have been camping for several years now and last year we upgraded from a TT to a Fifth Wheel with more room and a few more "conveniences" and have found it to be a great way to go on several mini-vacations throughout the year. Went with a Sabre 32QBDS with the front bunk house for the kids (they love it!)

While most of our camping has been fairly local, we're finally looking to start broadening our horizons (that and the kids are now old enough to go farther than just 2 hours or so in the back seat

Looking forward to contributing here and happy camping everyone!
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #2

to the forum which is packed full of useful info and helpful members. Enjoy

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome!
We also looked at your model but liked no wait loved the outside kitchen model better.
Have fun this summer !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome aboard! Camping locally is great especially with the short traveling time but it's fun to do a little traveling too. Truth be known I often stay close to home.

Take care,
Terier

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Thought I would drop in introduce myself. I've been reading a lot of the posts on this forum for a couple of months now and think it is a great place to share ideas get guidance/advice from other members.

My family and I have been camping for several years now and last year we upgraded from a TT to a Fifth Wheel with more room and a few more "conveniences" and have found it to be a great way to go on several mini-vacations throughout the year. Went with a Sabre 32QBDS with the front bunk house for the kids (they love it!)

While most of our camping has been fairly local, we're finally looking to start broadening our horizons (that and the kids are now old enough to go farther than just 2 hours or so in the back seat

Looking forward to contributing here and happy camping everyone!

Good to see someone else on here from Illinois! Do you have any favorites locally? We have a 21mo old so we usually try to find places with playgrounds or pools. Amboy Yogi is ok (biggest sites ever), Shabbona, Millbrook Yogi, etc...

What part of Illinois....we are out in Plainfield.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
Good to see someone else on here from Illinois! Do you have any favorites locally? We have a 21mo old so we usually try to find places with playgrounds or pools. Amboy Yogi is ok (biggest sites ever), Shabbona, Millbrook Yogi, etc...

We actually live in the Quad City area, IA/IL border and home to the TugFest which is occuring this weekend. It is a tug of war over the Mississippi River that has been a battle between IA and IL for several years. Both side have festivals and there are great fireworks on Friday night.

I know what you mean about the playgrounds I we have two that are just a few years older than yours.

There is one that is local that is definately our favorite which is Scott County Park near Park View, IA. They have sites to suit nearly every preference and have several different playgrounds. They also have a pool with waterslide and sprayground, hiking/bike trails, and golf course.

There are also several others including West Lake Park in Davenport, IA which actually has even more and somewhat better playgrounds that Scott County and a lake rather than a pool (both are actually Scott County parks) and in IL we really enjoy Morrison Rockwood and Johnson Sauk trails.

We haven't yet tried a Yogi bear campground, however I have heard some great things about the one in Amboy and others that are around. We are actually thinking about visiting the one near the Wisconsin Dells sometime this fall.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy

We actually live in the Quad City area, IA/IL border and home to the TugFest which is occuring this weekend. It is a tug of war over the Mississippi River that has been a battle between IA and IL for several years. Both side have festivals and there are great fireworks on Friday night.

I know what you mean about the playgrounds I we have two that are just a few years older than yours.

There is one that is local that is definately our favorite which is Scott County Park near Park View, IA. They have sites to suit nearly every preference and have several different playgrounds. They also have a pool with waterslide and sprayground, hiking/bike trails, and golf course.

There are also several others including West Lake Park in Davenport, IA which actually has even more and somewhat better playgrounds that Scott County and a lake rather than a pool (both are actually Scott County parks) and in IL we really enjoy Morrison Rockwood and Johnson Sauk trails.

We haven't yet tried a Yogi bear campground, however I have heard some great things about the one in Amboy and others that are around. We are actually thinking about visiting the one near the Wisconsin Dells sometime this fall.
We also spend weekends at Scott county park / west lake .
Mostly Scott county park since I work 8 miles away in eldridge.
I drop off camper on the way to work sometimes .
But enjoy staying there.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #8

Quote:

Very cool. My brother and sister both live in Dubuque so we make it out there often. We've camped at the KOA in Lena, IL. (not far from Galena) and it is really nice. One of the nicest maintained campgrounds i've seen.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
BlakeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #9

Great to hear about other nice CG in the area. We will have to put that on our list to check out.

Not sure what route you take to Dubuque, but if you travel along I80 to 61 you pass by Scott County Park. It is about 2 miles off 61. Next time you head that way take a drive through.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

another illinoisan welcomes you, im down by alton. i remember camping at white pines state park, and all i remember is it was north of us and they had a low water bridge crossing. thought that was the coolest thing ever drivin the car thru the river. what did i know, i was like 7.

anyway, has anybody camped there recently? or for that matter, even heard of it?
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #11

Hey there,

to the forums
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #12

Originally Posted by BlakeB

Welcome to my Illinois neighbors. A transplant from Joliet here, now residing in So. Illinois. As a youngster on weekends we would camp in Marseilles, Yorkville, and Seneca, and a couple outings to Wisconsin Dells on school vacation. Back then it WAS 100% tent camping with 7 kids and the folks in the back of a covered Pickup. Loved every minute of it, but not a tent camper anymore. We have moved on up!
I now know how my father felt about sleeping on the ground. LOL. Our camping has been local in the Randolph County area but are looking forward to venturing abit further in the near future. Started out dry camping, then our local State Park got electricity. Life is good! Enjoy.
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
phat phrog stunt crew

we are in southern illinois near alton. just getting back from mcnair coe park at carlyle. its on the south end of the lake, about 2 miles east on 50 from 127. only 32 spots, but very nice. every other campsite on the lower end has shared water with another site (i.e 1 spigot, 2 hose connections). sites are paved, mostly level and easy to get into.

they do not take reservations, so hazlett is always a fall back.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #14

Welcome! we are headed out by you this weekend, Sunset Lakes Resort in Joslin IL. As far as the Jellystones go...we haven`t found one we didn`t like! and we`ve been to many. We always go to the Amboy IL. Jellystone for Columbus Day Weekend (Halloween weekend). great time! the Jellystone in the Dells is/was one of my favorites, lots of memories from when I was a kid. But now they are overpriced....$70-110 a nite for full hookup with all the add-ons..... no thanks! there is a Jellystone 45 minutes farther north of the Dells in Warrens WI. we used to go there all the time and then we stopped going when we noticed they stopped caring about the place, turns out they went bankrupt. it opened again the next spring under new ownership, but still a Jellystone. we haven`t been back yet, but we want to try it again.

Have fun traveling! lots of things to see and do around this part of the country.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #15

Another one from down state, Mattoon. Just getting started. Just my DW and two DD (in my case that is dear dogs).
unclelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #16

Quote:

We used to travel with a MH and horse trailer. Camped at Morrison Rockwood for years in the equestrian area. We live in Prophetstown. We switched from horses to ATVs now with a toy hauler we camp at Darlington and Gratiot Wisconsin alot. Both of us just resently retired and ordered a Puma 5th wheel toyhauler and plan to discover the country one ATV trail at a time.
toylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #17

Welcome to the forums and I'm sure you will enjoy that Puma toyhauler. We make it out to Morrison Rockwood a couple of times a year with several other families and prefer to take up quite a few of the spots in the loop area with the playground in the center.

Used to ride ATVs quite a bit out in the P-Town area at a friends farm until I got into a little bit of a disagreement with mine........It won.....