Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #1

Hello from Iowa

I have raised my 9 1/2 year old twins, it was one thing that my ex husband and I loved to do with our kids and about 10 other couples. Two years ago we got divorced and I didn't wanna fight over our camper so he got it and then sold it. for two years I have missed those times with my kids and now my older boys 25 and 24 each have a child and want my grandbabies to grow up camping. I just bought a 2007 Salem LE, I am pretty sure I stole it at $9000.00 as it was only used about 5 times, it still has the brand new smell and nothing wrong with it. I have alot of questions though, the ex always took care of maintenance so this past weekend when I tried to take the kids camping with my boyfriend that knows nothing about camping, we ended up with pink water and when I tried to let the facets run it out we ran out of water, it was not as smooth as I had hoped. What do I need to do to get the antifreeze out of the camper ? Should I hook it up directly to the hose here at home and open all the faucets and the grey tank ? any help would be greatly appriciated
Old 03-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #2

Hi Shannon - Sorry you had problems on your maiden voyage!! And congrats on the new TT. Yes, you need to hook up your hose to your camper and flush out the antifreeze. Open up all of your faucets and run the water through until it is clear. Then open up your gray tank to drain. Then you'll want to sanitize your freshwater tank. You do this by doing the following:

Fill up your freshwater holding tank. Throw some bleach in it. (Do a search on these forums for how much bleach, since I can't remember). Once your freshwater tank is full, open all of your faucets and let the water/bleach solution run through all of your water lines. Then close your faucets. Let the water/bleach solution sit in your freshwater tank at least four hours, or overnight. The next step is to empty your freshwater tank (find your low point drain to do this easily.) Then fill it up again, run fresh water through all your faucets (don't forget the shower and outside shower if you have one). And finally, dump your gray water tank. Sounds like it is complicated, but it really isn't. You just want to run some bleach water through all of your water lines, faucets, etc. to sanitize.

Good luck!!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

Thank you sooooo much, yes it sounds complicated but also easy to do. I am so happy I found this forum as I am sure this is not going to be the last question I have ! Thank you again
Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Welcome ! From another Iowan to another !
everything trudinator said is spot on !
only thing I can add is if the rv antifreeze was dumped into fresh water tank you need to open your fresh water tank drain and get as much as possible out .
the other thing is there may be a water filter canister installed and you will need to reinstall a new filter which can be found at wall mart .
heres what you will be looking for and at . also there may be a strainer that needs to be cleaned. (last picture)

Name:   water filter.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  11.7 KB

Name:   waterfilter1.gif
Views: 75
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:   strainer.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  5.4 KB

good luck and hope all goes well !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

by the way these all should be located near your water pump !
hard saying where that is but normally its hidden behind a false panel that has 2 hinges on either side of the panel . Or under a cabinet .
once you get water in the fresh water tank and get pump running you should be able to hear it and find it .

p.s dont forget you have to turn hot water heater by pass valves on to fill hw tank when your all finished ! these valves will be behind hw tank
Old 03-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #6

Thank you

Thank you so much, there is so much information that I didn't have any idea I needed !
Old 03-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

your welcome !
at least you know where to get out of a jam !