Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #1

Hello from Keremeos, BC, Canada

We are so excited! Yesterday, my partner Julie and I, purchased a 2012 A-122 which will be ready for pickup next week. We got a really good deal on this little beauty which had been sitting ignored in the back lot for a whole year so while it is a year old, it really is brand new. And the best part was that the RV dealership will install our hitch on the Grand Caravan we now drive.

Previously we had a Roadtrek (just too small for us and the dog), and a Class C Gulfstream (just too expensive to sit in the driveway for the best part of the year). After having loads of fun in our previous two RVs, we look forward to being able to put down temporary roots at campsites all over Canada and the U.S. while still being able to drive away to do daily trips around the area in which we are camping. This is what we missed most with the drive-in RVs.

Having NEVER pulled a trailer before I am sure I have plenty to learn so if anyone can give me pointers or head me in the right direction to learn about how to drive safely with a trailer, I would be very grateful.
Lee

Old 02-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2012 A-122.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #3

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new trailer.
I think you'll really like the A-frame. Most of us that have them just love 'em!

I had a quick look online at Grand Caravans. I see two different tow ratings:
1600 and 3600 pounds.
Do you know which one yours is?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Tow Rating

Hi YD

Ok...now I'm nervous. Can you tell me if I have a problem with towing with my 2011 Grand Caravan Sto N Go?
Lee
Old 02-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantripper View Post
Hi YD

Ok...now I'm nervous. Can you tell me if I have a problem with towing with my 2011 Grand Caravan Sto N Go?
Lee
There are people on this forum towing the same trailer with vehicles rated for less (1500 pounds) weight. I'm not familiar enough with Caravans to give you solid knowledgable advice about towing with one.
Have you looked up the towing guide for that particular model?

No need to be nervous -there's plenty of knowledgable types here that'll help get you squared away. .
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #6

Ok from the specs on the A122 it looks like it could have a Gross Vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 3261 lbs. quite heavy for a caravan. You could probably tow it with the caravan however without a tow package and the 3600 lb rating as mentioned by Yukon Don you could be stressing the vehicle. Transmissions get real hot towing, espescially in the mountains, and burn out quickly, don't ask me how I know? Find out which caravan you have!

http://http://www.forestriverinc.com...157&RVType=TNT
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to the forums!

When I am towing I tend to take corners a little wider and a bit slower when possible. As time goes on you will learn to relax and almost forget it's behind you.

Good luck.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

You'll do just fine

My son handles a similar sized trailer with a Ford Escape (lives in Vancouver) and has had no trouble with it. Until you become familiar with your new purchase and the towing capabilities of your van plan to take it easy. Take regular cool down breaks for both you and your van. Iíve driven Number 3 plenty of times and the number 1 is away worse for traffic and steepness. Plan to do your summit driving early in the coolness of the morning. I learnt this after doing the summit at Kamloops in the middle of a hot August afternoon - never again. Spending an extra night or starting very early could save you a new engine or transmission. Watch your gauges and youíll do just fine. We'll likely be in the Trail, Bc. area again this summer doing some fishing so we'll watch for you in the campgrounds.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrazy View Post
My son handles a similar sized trailer with a Ford Escape (lives in Vancouver) and has had no trouble with it. Until you become familiar with your new purchase and the towing capabilities of your van plan to take it easy. Take regular cool down breaks for both you and your van. Iíve driven Number 3 plenty of times and the number 1 is away worse for traffic and steepness. Plan to do your summit driving early in the coolness of the morning. I learnt this after doing the summit at Kamloops in the middle of a hot August afternoon - never again. Spending an extra night or starting very early could save you a new engine or transmission. Watch your gauges and youíll do just fine. We'll likely be in the Trail, Bc. area again this summer doing some fishing so we'll watch for you in the campgrounds.
"We were not placed on this earth to see through one another but rather to see one another through"
2012 Kodiak 242RESL, 2010 Chevy 1500 LTZ