Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #1

Hello from LI-NY

Hello all! Just registered here looking for some solid advice. My wife and I owned a 28' Dutchman Lite a few years back and really enjoyed taking it places with our boys. We sold it after just one summer season because we needed the money. Well we are looking to get a new one but have some concerns.

The majority of our camping will be done locally here on LI or within 100 miles.

However, a big thing we are looking to do is take the trailer down to Florida at least 2-3 times a year. We already do this trip with our truck but no trailer. Our main concern is are we going to be saving any money towing the trailer to FL considering the reduction in fuel economy? I have ready a lot of threads about this and the answer I have come up with is no. From what I have ready, my truck, 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Black Express Edition, fuel economy will be cut down from the 21/22 mark to about 9-10MPG. We were hoping to buy a 24-27' Toy Hauler but are also considering a large pop-up depending on how and if this will bring our fuel economy back up a bit.

Any advice/guidance would be much appreciated. As luck would have it, and in my last minute style, we are driving down to FL the day after Christmas for a weeks vacation in the sun!

Thanks and glad to be a part of the community!
GoodTimesNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #2

Hi, we're also from Long Island. You're leaving Friday after Christmas and we're leaving Saturday. We're taking our trailer down but we're staying 3 months. If I were staying only 1 week I would fly (even though it scares the hell out of me). What you'll pay for gas and extra tolls (truck and trailer are 3 times the rate of just the truck) gets expensive fast. If I drove I would just stay in a hotel. Whatever you decide have a great trip. Merry Christmas
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
Hi, we're also from Long Island. You're leaving Friday after Christmas and we're leaving Saturday. We're taking our trailer down but we're staying 3 months. If I were staying only 1 week I would fly (even though it scares the hell out of me). What you'll pay for gas and extra tolls (truck and trailer are 3 times the rate of just the truck) gets expensive fast. If I drove I would just stay in a hotel. Whatever you decide have a great trip. Merry Christmas
Thanks for the response jwedell! In the past we've flown but over the past few years it is far more expensive to fly with 4 people and renting a car in FL so we've driven. We are definitely driving this time it's just a matter of if we will be towing something.

Merry Christmas and enjoy FL!!! I can't wait for the day where we would stay a few months over the Winter!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #4

GoodTimes,
Welcome to the forums from a fellow Long Islander! Not sure about the mileage you will get while towing a camper, but I don't believe that it would be cut in half. Even if you do get 10mpg, that would be say 300 gallons of fuel for you round trip. Using even $3 for the price of gas (I'm sure it will be a lot less nowadays especially in Virginia and Georgia) so that would be $900 for fuel. Try pricing airline tickets for 4 around Christmas. I'm sure that you won't be able to come anywhere near the $900 you will spend on fuel for your family of 4 (I'm assuming you have 2 boys when you said that you were going with the 'boys'). That would be getting each ticket for $225/ticket.
That's JMHO. What ever way you decide to travel, good luck and have a great trip.
Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #5

Thanks Tom. You are correct with what the airline tickets (as well as our two boys) would cost upwards of $1300 which is why we are definitely driving. Now it's determining if the cost of extra fuel for the trip is a savings vs hotel costs. We already booked the Shades of Green Disney Resort for February break so we will be driving down to FL again then. We were considering breaking that trip in half where we would spend 3 days in the hotel and 3 days in the trailer. Each year we try to get down to FL 2-3 times and hopefully in the not so distant future more like 4-5 times during the Winter so really it's a debate over hotel vs trailer cost wise.

~Cheers
Old 12-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #6

Have you looked into Disney's Fort Wilderness? Great campground and once you are at the campground, you do not need to move your tow vehicle to go to the parks. They have free transportation to all the parks from the campground. Also, don't forget the price of food when you stay at a resort. You will need to buy 3 meals a day as opposed to 1 or 2. Other meals can be eaten in your camper.
Tom

Old 12-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Have you looked into Disney's Fort Wilderness? Great campground and once you are at the campground, you do not need to move your tow vehicle to go to the parks. They have free transportation to all the parks from the campground. Also, don't forget the price of food when you stay at a resort. You will need to buy 3 meals a day as opposed to 1 or 2. Other meals can be eaten in your camper.
Tom
Yes, we went to Disney last February and stayed at the Allstar Sports Resort. We drove through and checked out the Wilderness Resort while there which was very nice. It seems the spaces there are expensive, very close if not equal to what you would pay at another Resort. But I guess it's more of the experience.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #8

I almost forgot. If you are planning on going to Disney several times a year as we do, look into Annual Passes. Good for a year and you can go into any of the parks as many times as you wish. Also, if you get a Tables in Dining pass (cost is $100/year), you save 10% on meals at most of the restaurants in the parks. We got one on our last trip to Disney and we saved the cost of the pass on just 2 meals.
Just a thought.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
I almost forgot. If you are planning on going to Disney several times a year as we do, look into Annual Passes. Good for a year and you can go into any of the parks as many times as you wish. Also, if you get a Tables in Dining pass (cost is $100/year), you save 10% on meals at most of the restaurants in the parks. We got one on our last trip to Disney and we saved the cost of the pass on just 2 meals.
Just a thought.
Good advice. Our plan is to spend a week at Disney and the other trips at other attractions and the beach. I am in the military and get a great discount from Disney on tickets which really can't be beat, but thanks for the tips.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #10

Any suggestions on nice tow behind travel trailers or toy haulers in the 27' range? We need to stay around 6500 lbs and want at least one slide preferably two.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Also, if you get a Tables in Dining pass (cost is $100/year), you save 10% on meals at most of the restaurants in the parks. We got one on our last trip to Disney and we saved the cost of the pass on just 2 meals.
Just a thought.
Wow lots of fellow Long Islanders here lol. Small correction its Tables in Wonderland and yes WELL worth the money we always end up saving money with it. Annual passes are also great as they entitle you to even more discounts. I'm a Vacation Club owner with WDW and an official Disney addict!
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome from NC. Typically those that get into camping because it's cheaper are disappointed when they quickly learn it's really not cheaper. Remember you now have a tt to pay for and insurance on that tt as well. As you pointed out your fuel mileage drops. There is more wear and tear on your TV and you have maintenance to do on your tt. There are camping fees, tolls, etc. Then there is all the gear people buy. Will you be keeping it at home or storing it somewhere? Storage costs money every month.

Now if you want to camp because you want family time and enjoy camping then that is a completely different story. Camping is an excellent family activity and has brought my family closer together.

As for towing, run the numbers very carefully on your truck payload. What does your tire loading sticker say inside the drivers door... look for "occupants and cargo not to exceed x lbs". This is your trucks payload before you subtract the weight of your family, the stuff they carry in the truck, and any pets. What is left is what's available for your loaded tongue weight. Loaded tongue weight is typically 13-15% of loaded tt weight. Do not shop using dry tongue weights or dry tt weights as you will never tow a dry or unloaded tt.

Looking at your requests for slides etc, I think a toy hauler will be outside your weight limits. I hate sounding this negative because I do love camping but I think it's important to go into this with your eyes wide open.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #13

Hello from a li-er also! I keep all my camping local so far, hate driving through the city! I just picked up a nice coachmen apex 288bhs, nice big bunks for the kids and only weighs 5k lbs!
Def go out of state for a new one if u go new, much cheaper.
Just took my kids to disney for the 1st time, we flew in and stayed at the AK! I would drive every time but the wife cant stand it.
Good luck with your search and if you need any advice on a camper let me know, im on my 3rd new one!
Merry xmas and happy new year!
08 dodgeram current TV
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #14

Thanks Cableman. I think we are definitely going to buy a camper just not sure if a TT or Toy Hauler. My boys have ATVs and bicycles and lots of toys so a hauler is attractive. Then again I am considering putting things in my truck bed and on a hitch off the RV depending on the weight. Just checked this thing out online, looks real nice - 2015 Vibe 272BHS