Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Hello from Massachusetts

We just put a deposit to hold a 2015 Freelander 22QB Chevy 4500. I have a few questions from experienced owners about what happens next. We are purchasing from Campers Inn in Union Connecticut. We agreed on a price and I intended to pay cash. The salesman said to get that price I would have to finance it through them then I can pay it off without penalty. Is this a trick to pay them more fees just to finance? I remember we had a similar situation when we bought a car in 2010. Also when it comes time to take delivery, do I have to pay the dealer before I have done the walkthrough? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

This is our first motorhome, we have done some RV'ing with a trailer cross country and snowbirding. After a couple of shakedown trips we'll be heading south then south west for the winter. Love the RV life. Hope to make some new friends while on the road.
roadgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Wait till next year...

Congrats and welcome from Southern Worcester County.They made the same pitch to us when we were looking several years ago. We eventually went elsewhere for our MH and paid cash. They gave us a song and dance about making up the discount we were getting from the lender if we waited a year before paying it off. As I said we found the MH we wanted and at a better price(cash) elsewhere. Really should do the walk thru before completeing the deal ,its your best leverage,easier to say I'll be back when you fix anything wrong before you complete the deal. Do a search in the Coachman forum and the FR MH forums under "PDI" there are a lot of suggestions of which items to check off.
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

Welcome from Georgia and congrats. I agree with n-e-d. We had the same pitch about a car a few years back also. We looked at CW and others for RV's. Then we went to a small RV dealership that was recommended and they didn't play the games. We were paying cash also and we got a very sweet deal when the negotiations were done. Also, might I add that no way in hell would I pay for a unit BEFORE I did my PDI on it. You're giving away your power to control this deal if you do. Gotta be other dealers in your area.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum from MN. We didn't pay cash, but i financed through our credit union. Took the check with me to the dealer, had our PDI, then went into the finance office and paid for the TT.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:42 AM   #5
Wait till next year...

OP any updates on picking up your Freelander?
Old 09-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #6

Haven't picked it up yet but I asked them if it is ok if we have a certified RV inspector to do the PDI. Waiting to hear back. I spoke with their finance person about my reservations about financing. He made it sound like they were doing us a favor but I explained that the numbers didn't back that up. I can still finance and pay it off immediately without any extra cost. They would like me to make 7 payments before paying it off so they can get $1K back. I am not required to do that so we'll see.... Hate dealing with dealers. Will let you know how it pans out.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:02 AM   #7
Wait till next year...

Sounds good. Good luck
Old 09-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #8

RV Inspection went well so we are going ahead and getting the Freelander!

Very minor issues, overall our RV inspector said he thought it was well maintained and in great condition. We will be doing the paperwork on Monday. So we expect to have it for delivery in the next few weeks. I will be adding rear view camera, navigation system and flat towing system after that. Since Campers Inn is 2 hours away from us, we'll opt to find local installers. Do you have any advice on any of these modifications? There is a local truck repair shop that can install the flat towing/braking system (thinking Blue OX) and their per hour rate seemed more reasonable than the RV dealer. I like the Garmin system for navigation but don't see much about the camera they recommend if I want to combine rear-view/back up in the same device as navigation. Would prefer to have one dashboard monitor but would go for 2 if quality is compromised. Hard wiring may be too expensive so would go with wireless. Power for rear camera mount can come from the upper center marker lights in the rear of the MH. Want to be able to see the Toad while driving.... Love to hear your thought on this. Lots to do before we take off this winter
Old 09-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #9

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your Freelander 22QB MH !
Old 09-29-2018, 05:21 AM   #10
Wait till next year...

Congrats on taking the plungeThat is a sweet looking rig,now begins all the fun of outfitting it and making it yoursMy sunseeker came with a RVS system unit for rear and sideview cameras. Haven't had any problems with it and neat part is monitor is in place of rear view mirror(a natural place to look )We have a Jenson radio that includes navigation and plays dvds thru the bunk tv. Really dont use either just found the dash mount display not as convenient as a dash top or windshield mount portable gps.Do a search (upper right hand title box) for wireless rear cameras or anything else you may think of and you'll find plenty of answers. Beside the Coachman forum check out the Forester and Sunseeker forums, a lot of the discusions relate to the same fixtures you'll have in your Freelander. You'll find Amazon and etrailer.com(and other online dealers) a good source for info and a place to spend all your hard earned cash Enjoy the journey! See you on the road