Old 07-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
Hello from NH!!!

Hi Everyone!!!

Just closed on our first RV - a 2017 FR Coachmen 310BHDSLE travel trailer...Should be picking it up this week sometime. We're boating transplants - and have ours actively listed for sale now. This was perhaps the most difficult decision in my life, as boating is my first passion. Long story short, our boat was too far away (Cape Cod - refuse to boat anywhere else), as we couldn't do day trips, and even overnights were sometimes too much hassle. Even the upkeep cost is getting burdensome. So - my early childhood was spent camping via pop-up, so here I am! We've got 3 kids (5 yo twins and an 8 year old), so we feel we'll be able to get out much more often (both my wife and I get generous vacation time) and be able to save a bit of money in the meantime.

So-- early thoughts are trailering should be okay - have an Expedition EL, and I tow my boat now (about 9,000 lbs) - and that's about 40' from props to tongue. Electric brakes will be nice to have though!

Operations should be okay - familiar with 12v and 110v systems as my boat had both with an on-board genset. Will look forward to stuff not being water cooled, like heat, A/C, genset, etc! I ran most everything off 12v and would fire up generator to recharge batteries once a day, and to use stove/microwave etc. - looking forward to having 110v 99% of the time!

Should be "move in ready" too - have all the bed linens, plates, silverware, games for kids, coffee maker, etc. I'm sure that would add up if I had to start from scratch! I think I'll keep my boarding welcome mat too - just to keep a little piece of the boat with me!

Overall - looking forward to the space - each kid will have their own bed, I can sit up in mine now, a full tub/shower, and overall square footage will be awesome I'm sure.

First tasks at hand -
Find some way to transport bicycles - I am an avid mountain biker, and my oldest loves it too!

Find the good campgrounds - we're in southern/central NH - close to 93 and about an hour from white mountains and VT/ME.

Some good activities to do - we have a stand up paddleboard we'll likely keep and an inflatable RIB boat with a 10hp motor on it we can use on ponds/lakes. We'll likely keep those to use while camping.

How long into the winter do folks go? I see some campgrounds are open year round in NH for snowmobilers - but can't imagine these guys keep too much heat in. I'm also an avid skier in the winter, wondering if bunking in the RV is worth it for a night or two here or there rather than $150/night hotel stays!

I'll be sure to get some pictures up when we bring her home!

plusbrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
Congrats on your new TT. Plenty of time yet to enjoy it tho it gets tougher once the kids are in school. Dont give up on the 12v systems yet NH and Vermont have some nice dry SP's

Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Congrats on your new TT. Plenty of time yet to enjoy it tho it gets tougher once the kids are in school. Dont give up on the 12v systems yet NH and Vermont have some nice dry SP's
Yup - noticed with my oldest in school. Twins start kindergarten this year too. hence the move into RV'ing - will have to do some research on places to visit!
plusbrians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new TT.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote