Old 09-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Oh yeah...I forgot our registration was doubled!! For all of the extra financial expenses...we should have just bought a nice trailer for hauling hay...would have been cheaper!!

Jac & Phil in the Northern CA High Desert
2002 Ram 2500 pulling a 2014 Tracer 2640RLS,
7 horses, 0 cats, 1 dog, 2 kids and 1 grandson
2013 2 nights, 2014 34 nights
Jac and Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #22
OIC you put the flat bed on the PU to save the cost of a flat trailer and hauled your hay on the PU.
So if you leave the stock PU bed on you are not close to the commercial license category and can pull what ever.

Sounds kinna like OR.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #23
Originally Posted by Jac and Phil View Post
In answer to the questions re the flat bed....lets see where to start...1)with a flat bed total length bumper to bumper no more than 40ft. (i'm not sure if one has a commercial license if you can go longer...we were limited to 40ft). 2) Flat beds are considered order to haul any kind of trailer we had to declare a weight limit...anything over 15,000 lbs bumped one up into the "commercial" category and you had to have a commercial license. I weighed our small 3/horse trailer, loaded it up with 3 horses, tack and water..I was right at the limit...I could haul my small trailer but not the living quarter (it was too long anyway). 3) Moving up to the "commercial" category, insurance rates go up...any traffic fines are doubled...have to get an annual medical clearance...have to stop at all truck stop weigh ins...have to keep a log book...etc, etc, etc. I'm not a truck driver and I will usually drive 10 miles out of my way to avoid tight turn arounds (I've gotten better, but still don't like them lol). The 1st time you are pulled over for length the ticket is around $2500...the 2nd time they can and do take you rig and trailer. Too much to loose for me. So we parked the LQ trailer. I'm sure I have forgotten a lot of info, but those are the problems I remember. Oh, one other problem...we were limited to within 150 miles away from home, more than that would have put us into the commercial cat again. However, if we moved 15 miles east into NV, no problems!! There you have it, don't put a flat bed on your pickup in CA without a truckers license!
Wow I wasn't even thinking along those lines, my bad because I am licensed for commercial (always have due to coming from a trucking family) though I have never worked at it for a living. You are absolutely correct it puts you right in the 'quick of it" as some say.

Enjoy that grandson they are sooo fun and precious, DW had one of ours (we have 6 + 1 great grandson) here today he is just now taking a few steps.

Dale & Terri, Lulu & Tiki (our Chihuahua's), New rescue puppy Prince - Pom/Pug mix.
2013 Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7, TRD Off-Road, 4X4, Full Tow Package
2013 Wildwood T26TBSS - Sold
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote