Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Hello from Oregon!

Wife and I aren't owners yet, but we're buying in 2017, and we've been doing our research, found the Berkshire 38A, and have fallen in (virtual) love with it! Went to a local RV dealer today who carries Forest River, but they don't carry the Berkshire, so we're still looking forward to checking one out in Real Life sometime soon! We were able to go inside some other FRs, as well as other brands, and we could really tell the quality improvement that going with Forest River seems to give!

We're a family of 5 (3 boys - 7, 9, and 11), so we really like the additional sleeping capacity with a bunk that the 38A would give us.

A few questions:

1. Forest River doesn't seem to have a large presence in the PacNW - or have we just not looked in the right places yet?

2. We're completely new to owning a motorhome - I've been in plenty of TTs before, and I've towed TTs before, but I haven't driven anything as big as a motorhome. What's the best way to learn, prior to buying? We've looked in to moho drivers training courses, but they all require you to bring your own - I'd like to learn how to drive one before I drive mine off the lot!

3. Are we being foolish, with planning to just jump straight in to a 38' diesel pusher? I *really* like the idea of the longevity of the DP vs. gas (and the safety and power benefits, as well!), but I don't want us to over-reach ourselves with our first step in to moho ownership.

Looking forward to making new friends here, and thanks in advance for any advice!

-James
random_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

FR is a east of the Mississippi for the most part company.

Check with local school bus companies or other transportation outfits and ask if they teach how to drive school bus.

When you jump into the pond feet first everything else will follow.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

FR is a east of the Mississippi for the most part company.

Check with local school bus companies or other transportation outfits and ask if they teach how to drive school bus.

When you jump into the pond feet first everything else will follow.
Thanks for the advice - I'll look in to the school bus company idea!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the form and good luck on your search. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #5

I found that lazy days web sit has a bunch of motor home videos to watch, I know their not the same but they sure help, I was in the same boat when we bought our George Town 377xl their not that bad to drive as you think.

kdcamper

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #6

same story....

hey there - we're also in Oregon, three kids 5,8,9 and have narrowed our search down to the 38a. We should work a bulk purchase deal

I haven't had any luck finding a 38a to look at close by. Guarantee in Junction City has a 40BH that I'm going to look at on Monday just to see the Berkshire and get a sense of build quality, bunk layout etc. But we're sold on the 38a with the extra 1/2 bath.
Oregonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #7

Foolish? Oh yea! With the horribly huge depreciation on any new RV it is really a big mistake. Forest River does not have a large presents in the pacific NW. They make trailers in Dallas, but all their motor homes come off the east coast.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonrv View Post
hey there - we're also in Oregon, three kids 5,8,9 and have narrowed our search down to the 38a. We should work a bulk purchase deal

I haven't had any luck finding a 38a to look at close by. Guarantee in Junction City has a 40BH that I'm going to look at on Monday just to see the Berkshire and get a sense of build quality, bunk layout etc. But we're sold on the 38a with the extra 1/2 bath.
Sounds like you're looking for all the same things we are. Whoever gets one first should let the other take a tour!

The closest we've been able to find so far is Boise, but the dealer there has some *really* bad reviews on Yelp. We're considering doing a weekend trip out there anyway just so we can actually see one in person! We won't mind flying in to some more distant dealer when we're ready to buy in 2017, but I'm not wanting to do a 15+ hour trip each way or plop down money for a plane ticket just to look at one!

Keep me updated on your search, and I'll keep you updated on ours!
Old 02-14-2016, 12:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Foolish? Oh yea! With the horribly huge depreciation on any new RV it is really a big mistake. Forest River does not have a large presents in the pacific NW. They make trailers in Dallas, but all their motor homes come off the east coast.
Well, what we're planning to do is to be able to pick up a 2015 38a in early 2017, when we're actually ready to buy! The hope is that we'll either be able to find a used one by then, or a new 2015 that a dealer will make a great deal on to get it off their lot. Don't yet know how realistic that hope is, but we'll find out.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

Welcome from South Georgia.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn Limited
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote