Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Greenhorn Oregon Duck

Hello from Oregon

Why take baby steps when I can just jump off the cliff? I am new to camping, new to RV's, new to Forest River and new to this forum. While I'm mostly filled with excitement, I must confess to moments of panic. :-) The learning curve will be sharp. Thank heavens for places like this, and people like all of you who can help me out--I hope.

I will pick up my new Forest River Sunseeker on April 17 – less than a week away – in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Although I've seen much of the West Coast and a little bit of the East Coast, I've seen nothing in between. This will be my first adventure across the middle of our great nation as well as my first adventure in my brand-new RV. I'm praying for good weather and lots of help.

I plan to spend the first two nights at the dealer, so I can have time to learn about my new RV and to shop for the bare essentials. Any thoughts about the bare essentials? What should I try to pack in my suitcase and what should I plan on buying immediately in Grand Rapids?

After that I will be driving back to Oregon and would love to hear from anyone about the best sights to see, places to stay, and routes to take or avoid. Required stops will be in Rapid City, South Dakota, Salt Lake City, and Boise, Idaho. Stops in between are up to me to discover. I would love any advice on places to stay.

I hope to limit driving to five or six hours a day so I will have time for short visits at various places. Right now I'm trying to figure out my first stop in Wisconsin. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance to everyone.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums from SW Idaho.

I lived in Glenwood for a few years.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Greenhorn Oregon Duck

Ah, the city between. I drive through there fairly often on my way to the freeway. :-) There are some beautiful places there along the river.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Forest River Sunseeker.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerchristi View Post
Ah, the city between. I drive through there fairly often on my way to the freeway. :-) There are some beautiful places there along the river.
City!??

It was hardly a wide spot on the road when I was there in the early 60's.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Greenhorn Oregon Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your new Forest River Sunseeker.

Thank you! I'm so excited to see your beautiful state. Any thoughts on campgrounds? Or sights not to be missed in the day or two I will be passing through?
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #7
Greenhorn Oregon Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
City!??

It was hardly a wide spot on the road when I was there in the early 60's.

Well, it actually isn't a whole lot more even now – but it does have a river running through it. :-)
Old 04-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerchristi View Post
Well, it actually isn't a whole lot more even now – but it does have a river running through it. :-)
And a well used (at that time) set of RR tracks about a block from the house.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum!
I grew up in Eugene, but thanks to 28 years in the army, I now call North Carolina home. Good luck on your trip home!
p.s. last time I visited Eugene, the "freaks" seemed to have taken over the place.
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
Greenhorn Oregon Duck

Laugh out loud – there is still plenty of variety here, must confess... but I think you'd still like it.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM   #11

I likes where I was at there was Mammoth Mall the Pioneer Museums, old graveyards.
TONS of stuff to do and all with in a bicycle ride.