Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #21
Now a "Top Member"

Which base at JBSA? Randolph, Ft. Sam, or Lackland? I didn't think Lackland took reservations (they didn't last time we were there), and I didn't think Randolph had anything. That would leave Ft. Sam??
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #22

Joint Base San Antonio which I believe is Ft. Sam.
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #23
Now a "Top Member"

I believe that to be...like I said, Lackland does not take reservations. I don't claim to know how all this new Joint Base stuff works yet, but I think when you refer to Joint Base San Antonio, it encompasses all the military installations in the SA area (Ft. Sam, Randolph, Lackland, even Camp Bullis. I've been away from it all too long to know how it's all supposed to work together. Anyway, let us know how Ft. Sam is, if that is indeed where you will be.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #24

The park I called is located at Fort Sam. They take reservations 1 year out. I am with you as we'll, do not understand all the Joint Base lingo.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #25

I used the U.S. Military Campgrounds Directory website to locate FAMCAMPS in the states. Works great.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:32 PM   #26
Now a "Top Member"

Cool. Let us know how Ft. Sam is. Like I said, I've never been there. Been to Ft. Sam many times, but never saw the FamCamp.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #27

Anything special you would suggest seeing in San Antonio?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #28

I would go see a show at The Majestic Theatre.

Majestic Theatre San Antonio - Majestic Theatre Tickets Available from Official-Online-Tickets.com
Old 02-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #29

Thanks. Will look in to it.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #30
Now a "Top Member"

Well, the Alamo is the obvious place, but be sure and spend some time on the Riverwalk. If the weather is nice, eat a lunch outside and enjoy the people watching. Also check out the missions. Other than that, depending on when you are coming, you have Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 02-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #31

I'm going to be coming through San Antonio sometime during March. I'd really like to check out the Alamo and the river walk. However, I'll be in a 32 Ft Sunseeker 3010. I don't have a toad, so that is the vehicle I will have to park somewhere around there.
I see a big parking lot bordered by E. Houston, Bonham, E. Crocket. At least from Google maps it looks pretty empty and probably big enough for a motorhome ? I can't tell if this is public parking or not ?

I'm open to any suggestions ? Is there good public transport from some of the RV parks around there ? I'll have a wife, 4 year old and 3 month old baby, so walking very far isn't a big option.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroll24 View Post
I'm going to be coming through San Antonio sometime during March. I'd really like to check out the Alamo and the river walk. However, I'll be in a 32 Ft Sunseeker 3010. I don't have a toad, so that is the vehicle I will have to park somewhere around there.
I see a big parking lot bordered by E. Houston, Bonham, E. Crocket. At least from Google maps it looks pretty empty and probably big enough for a motorhome ? I can't tell if this is public parking or not ?

I'm open to any suggestions ? Is there good public transport from some of the RV parks around there ? I'll have a wife, 4 year old and 3 month old baby, so walking very far isn't a big option.
Would bycycles and a baby trailer be an option?
Depending on how far away you would be of course.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #33
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhroll24 View Post

The parking lot you refer to is public parking, but as I zoomed in on it, the sign said "No parking for RV's Buses, or trucks with trailers". I I did however find this for you:

"Where Can I Park my RV or Bus Downtown?
 Out-of-town visitors may park their buses at the Travis Park parking meters or at The Alamodome. Arrangements for parking meters need to be made in advance on a first-come basis with the Traffic Division at (210) 207-7755. For more information on The Alamodome, visit Alamodome :: Home or call 210-207-3663. "

Hope this helps.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 02-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
The parking lot you refer to is public parking, but as I zoomed in on it, the sign said "No parking for RV's Buses, or trucks with trailers". I I did however find this for you:

"Where Can I Park my RV or Bus Downtown?
 Out-of-town visitors may park their buses at the Travis Park parking meters or at The Alamodome. Arrangements for parking meters need to be made in advance on a first-come basis with the Traffic Division at (210) 207-7755. For more information on The Alamodome, visit Alamodome :: Home or call 210-207-3663. "

Hope this helps.
I did a google directions from Alamodome to Riverwalk and it was only about a mile. I saw something on tripadvisor that there is supposedly a walkway from the Riverwalk to Alamodome and it is only about 1/2 mile. I can easily walk with a baby on my back for 1/2 mile. Also, saw something about maybe a Trolley nearby.. In any case, looks like the Alamodome might work well ..

(I personally like the idea of bicycles, but my DW isn't a fan..)

Thanks

rhroll24
Old 02-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #35
Now a "Top Member"

Yes, the walk from the Alamodome to the Riverwalk is not far at all. I've seen trolley's there, but I don't know anything about them. If you want a different kind of experience, they also have horse and carriage rides there. We've never done that either, but always wished we did.

Have fun, and let us know how it works out. You too Chief!
Retired AF MSgt