Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 11:51 AM   #1

Hello From San Diego, CA

Hi all,
New members here from San Diego, CA. My wife and I just inherited a 2002 Salem 18' w/rear slide from her parents (they are stepping up to a 36' diesel pusher). They bought the trailer a year ago and used it twice. Good condition, everything in tact and working .
So I am here looking for info and care tips etc. I helped them figure out how to set it up and get everything to work, but now that it is ours I am REALLY trying to learn about it to take care of it.
We are taking out this weekend so I have some searching to do....

See you around!

Josh & Kami
elamsinsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

The worst thing I think you would have to worry about is whether the trailer was stored outside in the open or under cover and away from sun. The sun will do a real number on anything plastic inside as well as the caulking on the ouside and roof. Roof vents become brittle and may need to be replaced and side striping decals wither and die and early death.

If stored under cover and out of the sun the you should be good to go.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #3

Well then, I have just added more to my list. It has been in the sun at least a year that I know of. I am going to be building a port for it on the side of my house, but until then I guess I will buy/fab a cover for it. Thank you for the info. We are total newbs.
Enumclaw, WA... I used to live in Oly! Been missing the PNW and Sound. Will be visiting again in a year or two I am sure.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamsinsd View Post
Well then, I have just added more to my list. It has been in the sun at least a year that I know of. I am going to be building a port for it on the side of my house, but until then I guess I will buy/fab a cover for it. Thank you for the info. We are total newbs.
Enumclaw, WA... I used to live in Oly! Been missing the PNW and Sound. Will be visiting again in a year or two I am sure.
Our last rig was from Arizona, had been there since new and was about 3 years old when we got it. I asked if it leaked, the owner said "leak what?" Yeah of course, it doesn't rain in AZ. I got to central CA with it when I hit a downpour and the seams on the roof all started to leak. I pulled into a hardware store and bought a caulking gun and some marine caulking that could be applied under water. Spent about 1/2 hour in the pouring rain up on my roof caulking the rig. After that the pleated hard plastic shower door fell apart in pieces and some of the plastic trim pieces inside were very brittle.

I wouldn't worry too much just replace things when they fall apart and soon you will be good. I would suggest you bring a caulking gun and some good caulking and keep it in the rig just in case.

Send a note if you plan to be up in this area in the future, perhaps we can shake hands.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #5

Josh and Kami,
Congrats on your newly acquired camper and welcome to the forum. If you have any questions, this is the place to get answers.
Hope you have many fun and trouble free trips with your rig.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome to the forum fellow Salem owner!

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I asked if it leaked, the owner said "leak what?" Yeah of course, it doesn't rain in AZ. .
Funny thing about that is some of the heaviest rains I have ever seen were in AZ. Monsoon season really lets loose sometimes. We are heading to the Grand Canyon soon. Half week at the south rim and a half week at the north rim. Hope the rains stay away...

2010 Nights Camped =14
Old 07-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #8

Welcome aboard! I would guess that caulking will be your biggest concern, San Diego is not as intense as Arizona but the sun does take it's toll. We were in Poway/Ramona for thirteen years and at that time had an 76' Apache Pop-up. It sat outside and did quite well, interior and exterior. BTW, I am originally from Tacoma, WA and still long for the PNW also. Happy camping!
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote