Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #11
Site Team
Make sure it is a good weight distribution hitch with integrated sway control and not friction sway control. You want something along the lines of a reese dual cam or an equal-i-zer hitch. You will be much happier in the long run this way. As for towing as long as your payload capacity is there you will be fine. With that tt you will likely have a loaded trailer weight of close to 7300-7500 lbs or so depending on how you load (these are based on averages). Ideal tongue weight of that would be 13-15% of the loaded weight or 950-1125 lbs give or take. Look inside your drivers door at the tire loading sticker for "occupants and cargo should weigh less than x lbs". Subtract the weight of any gear, people, and pets that will typically be in the truck when towing. What is left is what payload you have available for tongue weight. If you have more than 1125 lbs left, you should be good to go.

These threads might be of help to you.

how a weight distribution hitch works

travel trailer hitch set up

These are older threads but definitely have some great info. Do not trust your dealership, double check the setup.once loaded and readjust as necessary. The trailer should tow straight and easy with only a tiny bit of tail wiggle and a little push pull from tractor trailers passing you. Any worse then that then you will need to look to your hitch setup and readjust. Enjoy your new trailer!

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
Our 6,500 (empty) TT w/(empty) tongue weight of 650 becomes 8,000+ ready-to-camp with a tongue weight over 1,100... With your Ram 1500, this would only leave 450 lbs. or so for people, tools, WDH, firewood, etc. if you want to stay within payload specs... However, you have the same 5.7 Hemi as our 2500 but with the newer/better tranny, so you are good to go with tow rating & GCVW. We have no trouble towing in the steep hills of southern Ohio/WV & will be traveling to TN this summer...

2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:13 AM   #13
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by Sidew13 View Post
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi w/ a 8-Speed Automatic 8HP70 Transmission

The towing is rated at 10,250 lbs
Are you sure about the Towing capacity?
Sounds high for a half ton.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
Rookie Camper
I went to the Ram web site to verify the towing capacity. They have a section to enter the VIN #and it gave me all of the stats on my truck. That's all I know

Sidew13 is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie, towing