Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

Hello from South Dakota!

We're so new at this ... we haven't even picked up our new Forest River Solera yet. We get to bring it home Saturday! We're so excited, but so very new at this. We'll have a million questions, I'm sure. Your forum is interesting and I'm sure we'll find all of your advice to be extremely helpful. Thanks for all you do. Oh, and I welcome any advice on posting on the forum, too!!

Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome board! Take notes during the PDI. Your smartphone can come in handy for taking pictures or video taping when necessary. It's a lot to take in when you are new to RVing but it's a lot of fun too.

I would recommend checking out the FAQ towards the top of the page. I still use it and I've been here a bit. Adding your RV information to your signature can be helpful too.

Happy camping,
Terier

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #3

Welcome. I see you are from Yankton, we hail from Harrisburg, just south of Sioux Falls. Many great and easy places to go on this side of the state if you are looking for weekend trips, just make sure to plan ahead as several can fill up months in advance. Enjoy!
2007 Expedition
2011 Forest River Greywolf 26BH
sundawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new camper. Looking forward to our visit to your state at Labor Day!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new camper. Looking forward to our visit to your state at Labor Day!
Thanks! And SD is a great state to visit! Are you going to the Black Hills or are you visiting the great camping at Lewis & Clark Lake?
Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM   #6

We are come straight north out of Kansas City so we will stay near Omaha Labor Day weekend and then head up to the Corn Palace on Monday (Labor Day itself). Then we will work our way west for the Bad Lands and then 3 days at Custer State Park. One night each near Mitchell and the Bad Lands along the way. Leave Saturday and work our way back to the KC area cutting diagonally to the southeast across Nebraska. We want to be in the Black Hills after Labor Day when hopefully some of the crowds have died down with kids being back in school. DW and I each went with our families back when we were 10 or 11 so we look forward to seeing it together now.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
We are come straight north out of Kansas City so we will stay near Omaha Labor Day weekend and then head up to the Corn Palace on Monday (Labor Day itself). Then we will work our way west for the Bad Lands and then 3 days at Custer State Park. One night each near Mitchell and the Bad Lands along the way. Leave Saturday and work our way back to the KC area cutting diagonally to the southeast across Nebraska. We want to be in the Black Hills after Labor Day when hopefully some of the crowds have died down with kids being back in school. DW and I each went with our families back when we were 10 or 11 so we look forward to seeing it together now.
Hope you enjoy SD as much as we do!! All your planned stops will be great choices! Stop in Hill City for lunch or dinner at the Alpine Inn! Safe travels!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #8

We enjoyed the heck out of SD. We stayed at Mystery Mountain RV Park south of Rapid City. It was a very nice place and reasonably priced.

We used our tablet, smart phones, and GPS while traveling. The GPS was a backup when cell phone reception was weak. The tablet was a great navigator since it has such a large screen.

What you may want to download is YP. When we were about 50 miles from filling up the truck, I would let YP tell me where all the cheap gas stations were. Since our TH is a bit tall, I used Street View to let me see the gas station and what the approaches were to the gas pumps.

Another thing are that the web browsers in tablets and cell phones are handy when you are locating a Wally World to camp at.

If you are new to RVing, I would recommend camping in your driveway for the first night. If you forgot anything you are right there and if disaster strikes you are at your home.

Still you don't realize how much you are going to love it...
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
We enjoyed the heck out of SD. We stayed at Mystery Mountain RV Park south of Rapid City. It was a very nice place and reasonably priced.

We used our tablet, smart phones, and GPS while traveling. The GPS was a backup when cell phone reception was weak. The tablet was a great navigator since it has such a large screen.

What you may want to download is YP. When we were about 50 miles from filling up the truck, I would let YP tell me where all the cheap gas stations were. Since our TH is a bit tall, I used Street View to let me see the gas station and what the approaches were to the gas pumps.

Another thing are that the web browsers in tablets and cell phones are handy when you are locating a Wally World to camp at.

If you are new to RVing, I would recommend camping in your driveway for the first night. If you forgot anything you are right there and if disaster strikes you are at your home.

Still you don't realize how much you are going to love it...
Nice to hear you enjoyed SD!! Thanks for all the great information. I found an app for camping at Wally World - do we have to ask them if it's ok?

We picked up our Solera last Saturday and put it directly into storage for the week (in case of bad weather). But it's sitting in our driveway now and I've been hanging out in it and smiling!