Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Hello from Southern Ontario

We have just bought a 2012 ROO 233s from RVWholesalers.
We plan to pick it up mid March.

Does anyone have any experience bring a trailer purchased in the US across the Border to Canada?
Are any border crossings better than others?
Any paper work or tax issues?

Other than that we are just trying to sell our '96 Jayco 1207 PUP to make space for the ROO.
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've imported 2 campers into Canada. Dealt with RVW in Nov. 2007.

RVW will provide you with the necessary documents that you need at the border. If you check out their website, there's a section there for Canadian customers.

When you go into customs at the border, an agent will fill out the RIV forms (Register of Import Vehicles). With the HST in place now, I not sure whether you have to pay the 13% there or not. Last time I brought one into Canada, you paid the GST at the border and the PST at the licensing office.

After a couple of days you should be able to go to the RIV website and sign on using the RIV form # of your application. You pay the fee on-line, I think it's $200, and you can then print off the RIV inspection form. Arrange a appointment with your local Canadian Tire for the inspection, which is no more than a 15 minute walk-around. Take the completed form to the licensing office to get your camper plate and ownership.

It's a good idea to arrange for insurance before you head down to pick it up. Depending on the insurance company, this may be easy or not.

Hope you didn't pay for the CSA option that the dealership offers, it provides nothing. All the campers components are already CSA approved.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I can't help you get back into Canada with your new Roo but Dave sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Also want to add that you made a good choice in hybrids. We love our 233S. Feel free to search the hybrid subforum or post specific trailer questions there.

Congratulations on your new trailer!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I've imported 2 campers into Canada. Dealt with RVW in Nov. 2007.

RVW will provide you with the necessary documents that you need at the border. If you check out their website, there's a section there for Canadian customers.

When you go into customs at the border, an agent will fill out the RIV forms (Register of Import Vehicles). With the HST in place now, I not sure whether you have to pay the 13% there or not. Last time I brought one into Canada, you paid the GST at the border and the PST at the licensing office.

After a couple of days you should be able to go to the RIV website and sign on using the RIV form # of your application. You pay the fee on-line, I think it's $200, and you can then print off the RIV inspection form. Arrange a appointment with your local Canadian Tire for the inspection, which is no more than a 15 minute walk-around. Take the completed form to the licensing office to get your camper plate and ownership.

It's a good idea to arrange for insurance before you head down to pick it up. Depending on the insurance company, this may be easy or not.

Hope you didn't pay for the CSA option that the dealership offers, it provides nothing. All the campers components are already CSA approved.

Dave
Thanks for the info it will be helpful.

No we didn't purchase the CSA option. It was an "off the lot" purchase not a special build or even extra options added.

Barney

2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Site Team

RVW is very experienced and knowledgeable about sales to Canadians. they sell a heck of lot of rigs to them.

they should be able to answer any of your questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #6

5 days and counting until pick up day

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #7

Hi Barney1. We got our TT in Michigan from a dealer who also provided the paperwork required and Dave is spot on with his assesment of lack of difficulties. Like him we had two taxes so I can't say how the combined HST thing works either. Insurance before is a good thing and we have found Echelon from an independent broker to be quite reasonable. We brought ours in through Port Huron/Sarnia in the later evening when customs wasn't so overwhelmed and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful but I would imagine all the crossings are good. We have never had problems at a border. Just remember you usually get what you give so be nice to them as they have a tough thankless job to do protecting our best interests. Good luck and happy camping. Old Guys