Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #1

Hello from Texas!

My wife and I are fairly new RVers (2 years) but are enthusiastic. We live in our RV Mon-Thurs while I work (125 miles north of our home) and then spend weekends on our small ranch (just north of Ding Dong, TX). Yes, really. I spend my spare time (what little I have) improving our retirement home. In the last two years, I have added a fourth bedroom and a 900 sq. ft elevated deck around the pool. We love having the grandkids visit (we have 5).

This Sunday, we are leaving for Keswick, ONT, CAN. Three days up, 6 days there with family, and 5 days back sightseeing. 3,200 miles, at 12 miles per gallon and $3.80 for diesel is ~$1,000. But it beats hotels.

Great to be here!

2013 FR Cardinal
2012 F250 King Ranch
Schnooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnooks56 View Post
My wife and I are fairly new RVers (2 years) but are enthusiastic. We live in our RV Mon-Thurs while I work (125 miles north of our home) and then spend weekends on our small ranch (just north of Ding Dong, TX). Yes, really. I spend my spare time (what little I have) improving our retirement home. In the last two years, I have added a fourth bedroom and a 900 sq. ft elevated deck around the pool. We love having the grandkids visit (we have 5).

This Sunday, we are leaving for Keswick, ONT, CAN. Three days up, 6 days there with family, and 5 days back sightseeing. 3,200 miles, at 12 miles per gallon and $3.80 for diesel is ~$1,000. But it beats hotels.

Great to be here!

2013 FR Cardinal
2012 F250 King Ranch
Great to have you. Welcome to the forum. Your trip to Ontario sounds great. Gotta' ask - where is Ding Dong, Texas?
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Thanks, Mike. Ding Dong, TX is about 10 miles south of Killeen, 45 miles north of Austin. Every time the state of Texas posts a "Ding Dong" sign, it is stolen within 3 days. The Ding Dong Volunteer Fire Department is where we vote, but mostly people line up next to the Ding Dong fire truck for pix.
Schnooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum, from your far North friends in Alaska! We had our first snow today, but it didn't stick long.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnooks56 View Post
Thanks, Mike. Ding Dong, TX is about 10 miles south of Killeen, 45 miles north of Austin. Every time the state of Texas posts a "Ding Dong" sign, it is stolen within 3 days. The Ding Dong Volunteer Fire Department is where we vote, but mostly people line up next to the Ding Dong fire truck for pix.
I had to Goggle Ding Dong, Texas to see if there really was such a place.

I wonder if Bob Phillips of the Texas Country Reporter show has ever done an espisode on DD?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #6

Just another Texan unaware of a town with such a cool name! Day Tripper, here we come!
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #7

Born raised Texas... Had to move to Arkansas.

Welcome!!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #8

Welcome to FRF.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #10

Hello fero Texas

Greetings from central Texas, Cleburne to be exact. We now have a 08 Keystone Cougar that we are selling, If it doesn't sell it will be traded. It's a clean unit, nothing wrong but found a Rockwood 8289WS on the internet at RV Wholesalers. We fell in love with the floor plan and after several weeks of decision making we pulled the trigger and ordered the Rockwood. Looks like it will be late November or early December before we get our new Rockwood and will need to travel to Orlando, FL to pick it up. After taking delivery we plan on at least two weeks of camping in the southern states, in the spring we will head north and west. We don't full time in the rv but spend as much time out as we can. I hope that the Rockwood will give us as many trouble free miles as the Cougar has. In all the time we had the Cougar we put one set of tires on it and had one flat on the old set, pretty much trouble free I would say. Maintaining one is the key to many happy miles.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Greetings from central Texas, Cleburne to be exact. We now have a 08 Keystone Cougar that we are selling, If it doesn't sell it will be traded. It's a clean unit, nothing wrong but found a Rockwood 8289WS on the internet at RV Wholesalers. We fell in love with the floor plan and after several weeks of decision making we pulled the trigger and ordered the Rockwood. Looks like it will be late November or early December before we get our new Rockwood and will need to travel to Orlando, FL to pick it up. After taking delivery we plan on at least two weeks of camping in the southern states, in the spring we will head north and west. We don't full time in the rv but spend as much time out as we can. I hope that the Rockwood will give us as many trouble free miles as the Cougar has. In all the time we had the Cougar we put one set of tires on it and had one flat on the old set, pretty much trouble free I would say. Maintaining one is the key to many happy miles.
Welcome from Keller. we brought our Silverback FW from Fun Town RV in Cleburne.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #12

hidee ho

Hello neighbor from northern Arizona!
Sounds like you're living the good life and enjoying it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062013coloradovac 216a2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	40133  

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Welcome from Keller. we brought our Silverback FW from Fun Town RV in Cleburne.
That was the first place we looked at the rockwoods. Got a quote from them, they were $4.2k too high. for that much money we will drive to FL and take our time returning home. They are good people and have an excellent staff
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
That was the first place we looked at the rockwoods. Got a quote from them, they were $4.2k too high. for that much money we will drive to FL and take our time returning home. They are good people and have an excellent staff
Will FT do any warranty work you might need? Send me a PM if you need any service work recommendations.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #15

hi B47, glad to see another member here in the Metroplex. We're in Plano. If you have recommendations, would appreciate them here too. Our deposit is on a trailer at Mays RV in Lewisville. Only dealer in area with the Surveyors

Welcome to the forums presley01. Love your story. Have criss crossed texas more times than I can count and just moved north from the Cedar Park area this year.

2014 Surveyor SPT295
Texasblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #16
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasblue View Post
hi B47, glad to see another member here in the Metroplex. We're in Plano. If you have recommendations, would appreciate them here too. Our deposit is on a trailer at Mays RV in Lewisville. Only dealer in area with the Surveyors

Welcome to the forums presley01. Love your story. Have criss crossed texas more times than I can count and just moved north from the Cedar Park area this year.
I just sent you a PM.