Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

Question Hello from the DFW area of Texas

Hi from the DFW area of Texas,

So we just purchased a 2005 Cardinal 29WB fifth wheel. Like others, I do have some immediate questions. The version that I purchased looks like it may be semi Generator ready in that the front compartment where a generator would sit next to the hydraulic pump has a metal floor.

I'm wanting to install a generator and am looking into doing the work myself. Does any one know where I could get the wiring schematics and service manual so that I can do this correctly and hopefully make it look like a dealer install.

The main difference from a dealer install may be that I want this to be operable while I'm going down the road.

I plan to use the trailer to go to dog shows sometimes and as such may want to put dogs in it while in route. So with that said does anyone have experience with a generator install and especially along the lines that I've discussed?

The particulars on load That I know about are that this double slide unit is equipped with the Dometic 15000 BTU A/C Unit along with their refrigerator and 1/2 time microwave convection oven it also has electric front leveling jacks. It also appears to have some of the satellite prewiring and wiring for two televisions. It has a factory installed am/fm cassette cd player with sound. It may have tank heaters but I've been unable
mtnpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #2

I can't answer any of your questions. But, I can say Howdy to a fellow Texan and welcome!
Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:18 PM   #3

I can't help a lot on the generator situation other than just keep searching the web. How ever, you can wire up the generator where you have a plug that is directly wired to the generator in to the area where your shore power chord is on the camper and when wanting to power the camper off of that just plug into your plug that is wired to the generator. That is very similar to the way my parents MH is.

I would really try to not haul the dogs around in the camper when traveling. I'm pretty sure that it's highly recommended that you don't travel with people or pets inside the camper. I don't want to start a debate, but if you can keep your pets in your tow vehicle I would do so. One example is; say your traveling, and the generator dies for what ever reason, now your pets are without cool air until the next time you stop... could be dangerous, and there are lots more reasons not to.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
Site Team

I'll address the Welcome Mat portion of this post:
Welcome from the countryside of Grayson County, Texas.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnpeak View Post
Hi from the DFW area of Texas,

So we just purchased a 2005 Cardinal 29WB fifth wheel. Like others, I do have some immediate questions. The version that I purchased looks like it may be semi Generator ready in that the front compartment where a generator would sit next to the hydraulic pump has a metal floor.

I'm wanting to install a generator and am looking into doing the work myself. Does any one know where I could get the wiring schematics and service manual so that I can do this correctly and hopefully make it look like a dealer install.

The main difference from a dealer install may be that I want this to be operable while I'm going down the road.

I plan to use the trailer to go to dog shows sometimes and as such may want to put dogs in it while in route. So with that said does anyone have experience with a generator install and especially along the lines that I've discussed?

The particulars on load That I know about are that this double slide unit is equipped with the Dometic 15000 BTU A/C Unit along with their refrigerator and 1/2 time microwave convection oven it also has electric front leveling jacks. It also appears to have some of the satellite prewiring and wiring for two televisions. It has a factory installed am/fm cassette cd player with sound. It may have tank heaters but I've been unable
No such thing as wiring schematics available.

As far as dogs riding in the trailer, why don't you ride in it first and see if you enjoy it.
Unless the trailer has shocks, doubt if they or you will be happy riding in the trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote