Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Hello from the Florida Keys

We're new to camping. Next week we pick up our new (used 2010 V-Cross 27VFK) travel trailer. We're excited about being able to travel and having a home on wheels to take our fur family along with us! Our home base is Big Pine Key, FL. Since we're new to the world of camping and travel trailers, I'm sure we'll have some basic questions to get us up to speed. We have an 1800 mile trip to pick up the camper, then 1800 miles to camp to bring it back to home base. We already have reservations at several State Parks along the journey!
happytrailswithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2010 V-Cross 27VFK. Lots of friendly, helpful and knowledgable people here willing to help with questions.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #4

Congrats and welcome!
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
H2oski

WELCOME just 1 question? Why leave??? We love the Keys can't wait to go back!!!!!

HAHA I guess that's the outsider in me talking. Enjoy.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #6

Welcome Sounds like a major trip coming up ~ and a great adventure. My first thought is camp your first couple of nights near a Wally World til you are comfortable with what you have or see what you need.

Have a good trip
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrailswithcats View Post
We're new to camping. Next week we pick up our new (used 2010 V-Cross 27VFK) travel trailer. We're excited about being able to travel and having a home on wheels to take our fur family along with us! Our home base is Big Pine Key, FL. Since we're new to the world of camping and travel trailers, I'm sure we'll have some basic questions to get us up to speed. We have an 1800 mile trip to pick up the camper, then 1800 miles to camp to bring it back to home base. We already have reservations at several State Parks along the journey!
Welcome and enjoy the Keys. My DW and I were down there in Jan and Feb this year. Expect lots of traffic all the way out on mile zero. They were rebuilding the roads when we were there.

If you like fish and chips you have to drive back to Marathon Island and check out this place for lunch.

Keys Fisheries Market & Marina

3502 Gulfview Avenue
Marathon, FL 33050
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #8

Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is Wisconsin that we are headed to for the trailer... my home state where I grew up! The Keys are lovely, but sometimes you want to "get off the rock!" And having a trailer to take our pets along should be great! We'll try out a few short trips around Florida with the pets before any major trips. I like the idea of Wally World camping! I'm sure there's lots of things we haven't thought of that we will need! Keys Fisheries is a great restaurant. We frequent it off season when the lines aren't so long! We're full-timers in the Keys but looking forward to being able to leave for part of the dreaded "H" season! Thanks again everyone!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrailswithcats View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome. It is Wisconsin that we are headed to for the trailer... my home state where I grew up! The Keys are lovely, but sometimes you want to "get off the rock!" And having a trailer to take our pets along should be great! We'll try out a few short trips around Florida with the pets before any major trips. I like the idea of Wally World camping! I'm sure there's lots of things we haven't thought of that we will need! Keys Fisheries is a great restaurant. We frequent it off season when the lines aren't so long! We're full-timers in the Keys but looking forward to being able to leave for part of the dreaded "H" season! Thanks again everyone!
You can alway come to Arizona in the summer as a change in climate.
Its just dry heat here.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You can alway come to Arizona in the summer as a change in climate.
Its just dry heat here.
So is the inside of our kitchen oven!! LOL!

To happytrailswithcats-

Welcome to the Forums and hope you have many fun, memorable and trouble free trips with your new camper!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #11

Thanks! We have done Scottsdale the last two summers and you are correct. The weather is very hot but dry!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #12

If you are travelling through OHIO on the way home and want a break. Deercreek State Park is just south of Columbus Ohio off of Interstate 71. It has 20-30 and 50 amp, large spaces, no water or sewer at the site. However, they have water hydrants thruout the park you can use to fill up your rig. The dump station is easy access. Very quiet and clean and nice showerhouses and comfort stations. The lodge is close and has good food. Mt Sterling is close and does have a supermarket. The price is less than 30 bucks a night. Congrats and have fun, hope this helps.
Plug32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #13

Thanks for the information. This trip we'll not be passing through Ohio, but I will mark Deercreek in our book of campgrounds! We will route ourselves down IL, across KY to GA, then straight down FL to the very end!!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #14

Welcome! Good job making everyone jealous.

We'll be down your direction in July. Can't wait!

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #15

Welcome to the wonderful world of camping. 1800 mile trip for your first one is one heck of a trip, way to get broken in. This forum is awesome. Post any question you have and you will get plenty of answers, wish I had known about this when I first started, but still learn a lot from chatting with others. Sounds like you are on the right track, keep reading, and like anything else experience is the best teacher. Take it out and camp!
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to ShebaGinger
Welcome to the forum and camping.
ShebaGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #17

Welcome. How ironic, we all go to the Keys for vacations and you head north! The grass is always greener.....

Enjoy!

2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote