Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Hello from Upstate SC

Hi everybody,
Wanted to introduce ourselves and say thanks for letting me join the forum.
The wife and I are getting back to camping and purchased a 2016 Salem 24qbxi lite trailer from Sonny's RV in Duncan, SC.

Love the trailer we have been to St. Augustine, FL for a week and have been to Myrtle Beach twice so far since purchasing our camper in March of this year.

We are planning a couple of long weekends at Table Rock State Park and heading to Cherokee KOA in Oct and Nov.

Our kids grew up camping but they have grown up and moved on so we are in the rediscovering mode of the joys of camping. Our Salem trailer fit's us perfect as a couples camper - no slides but all the basics and a few upgrades that make this unit a joy.

Anyway looking forward to learning all we can about our camper in this group and maybe find some folks interested in doing a camping weekend or mini rally sometime.

Thanks,
Don
HappyCamper134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new tt. Yep our kids grew up camping also and all gone now so DW and I get out and travel now that we are retired. Enjoy Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your TT !
Old 07-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your Salem!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #5

As a fellow Upstate native - Welcome!
CitationDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum from upstate NY. I am curious about the "upstate SC", here in upstate NY we tend to separate ourselves from the NYC area because it's two different worlds. Is there a metro/country clash in SC also, or am I reading too much into it.
Enjoy the new rig, maybe we'll see you on the road, God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Otegoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otegoans View Post
Welcome to the forum from upstate NY. I am curious about the "upstate SC", here in upstate NY we tend to separate ourselves from the NYC area because it's two different worlds. Is there a metro/country clash in SC also, or am I reading too much into it.
'The Upstate' in SC generally refers to a couple counties in the northwest corner of the state I believe. Not real defined although often referred to as 'the Upstate' as opposed to 'the low country' in the Charleston area.

As a side note, our first camping trip this summer involved a side trip to NYC.
CitationDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otegoans View Post
I also live in the upstate of South Carolina. It's a geographical description, not political. The three regions are Upstate, Piedmont (roughly the center of the state) and Low Country (coastal). In the past there have been some nasty regional political disputes. When politicians from one region got control of the state government, they'd stick it to the other regions. Come to think of it, nothing's really changed. I could say more, but I think everyone experiences the same thing.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:43 PM   #9

HappyCamper.

If you can't get into Table Rock State Park, try Keowee-Towaway State Park. We stayed there for our first two weekends. The sites are all back-in and some could be a challenge for an inexperienced driver. There's not as much to do as at Table Rock, but it's not far from Table Rock and Devil's Fork.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #10

Welcome. I'm from just up the hill in Western NC. I travel to the Upstate on a regular basis to enjoy the good golf courses and lower gasoline prices! I looked at some of Sonny RV's offerings but didn't find what I wanted. I commuted up to Indiana to get my 2304DS back in March. I leave Monday for nearly 3 weeks including the FROG Rally in Goshen as well as some golf with friends in TN and back in NC and then onto Columbia to celebrate the Solar Eclipse on the 21st of August.

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #11

WELCOME from The Upstate also. I'm sure you will find this forum enlightening and at times hilarious. Looks like you are getting some good trips in since March. Retired?

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #12

Low Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitationDriver View Post
'The Upstate' in SC generally refers to a couple counties in the northwest corner of the state I believe. Not real defined although often referred to as 'the Upstate' as opposed to 'the low country' in the Charleston area.

As a side note, our first camping trip this summer involved a side trip to NYC.
Funny, you referred to the Charleston area as "the low country" here in upstate NY we call the city folks "flatlanders"! I guess in every state of the union there is a bit of difference from the city and country folks. We're all Americans, loving camping! God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison
Old 07-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #13

Welcome to the forum from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Congrats on your new rig.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #14

Welcome Happy Camper

Also settled in the Upstate...love it here. Heading up to Black Forest Campground next week. This forum is great for sharing info and experiences. Safe travels.
martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #15

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!
Not retired, my job gives me lot's of flexibility for long weekends (cram over a weeks worth of work into 4 days or so) plus we do have vacation time.

I did have a mishap with our Salem regarding the dinette window - long story but having to get it replaced as no one seems to want to replace glass anymore. The replacement window is here, and scheduled to put it. Going to be about 250.00 by the time it's all said and done. I could replace it myself but letting the dealer do it as they have the expertise and all the seals and stuff - since it is a 16 model trailer I am letting them take care of it.

For those going to Columbia for the eclipse, I listen to the local talk radio when in Columbia and they are expecting about 600,000 additional folks in town for the eclipse. Just watch your travel planning as traffic will be a major PIA - that's like 6 games going on at Williams Brice stadium at once!

Have a great day and thanks for the welcome!!
HappyCamper134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:27 AM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

Welcome from Western Maryland... also known to some Marylanders as Mountain Maryland.
Like your state, we have different regions. From west to east (and as simplistic as possible - I'm sure some of my fellow Free State-ers will chime in): Western MD, Metro Balt/DC, Southern MD and Eastern Shore. We have the mountains, Balt/DC is the most populated, Southern MD is below DC and the Eastern Shore is everything on the east side of the Chesapeake Bay. And, yes, it is as political diverse as SC.
Enjoy the Salem. After all, that's what it's all about!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:49 AM   #17

Welcome from Lancaster PA!!

Congrats on your purchase!!

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:54 PM   #18

To HappyCamper123, CitationDriver And RamblerGuy, thanks for the education, Wendy and I want to see all the USA and learn as much about it along the way. We hope to meet you on the road, God Bless.
'13 GMC 2500HD
Duramax/Allison