Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #1

Hello from Washington!

Hey Everyone!

Picked up our very first travel trailer last night. Decided on a Forest River Cascade 16BHS (most of you know this as a Wolf Pup, but this is a local dealer branded version). Will be taking our first trip next weekend with the wife, daughter, and 2 labs. I've been lurking this forum for several months learning from all your posts and it has been most useful so thank you for that.

One of my biggest concerns was getting a trailer that our TV could handle. I realized in my research that there really isn't a whole lot of feedback about our specific vehicle so I wanted to include some. We have a 2017 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD V6. Had a Primus brake controller installed, a 7pin installed and purchased an Equal-i-zer sway control/weight distributing hitch. By no means would I consider this to be as competent as a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, however it gets the job done. On my way home I had to go up an extremely steep incline, although the engine was at 5500 rpm it held it at 50mph and seemed to have a little more in the reserve. I also tow a 5'x8' utility trailer (no trailer brakes) to haul trash, and besides slower acceleration it felt exactly the same with the 16BHS in the back (i.e. no white-knuckling). Ultimately, we will eventually upgrade our TV but the Highlander can definitely handle this little trailer.

So far I'm super pleased with the overall quality of the trailer Forest River makes. Though I do have some question about the bottom. It appears the only thing between the wood and the road is a tarp stapled to the frame . Someone at the factory was apparently trimming off a piece of the wheel well and cut the tarp around the edges. Noticed this on pickup inspection and they used some heavy duty tape to 'repair' it. Is this common on travel trailers to protect the frame/sub-floor? Is there a better way or is this sufficient to protect against water coming up from the road? Living in a rainy state like Washington this is a concern.

Looking forward to all the adventures!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2018-05-25_18-42-51.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	173403  
blakeitso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:45 AM   #2

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeitso View Post

So far I'm super pleased with the overall quality of the trailer Forest River makes. Though I do have some question about the bottom. It appears the only thing between the wood and the road is a tarp stapled to the frame . Someone at the factory was apparently trimming off a piece of the wheel well and cut the tarp around the edges. Noticed this on pickup inspection and they used some heavy duty tape to 'repair' it. Is this common on travel trailers to protect the frame/sub-floor? Is there a better way or is this sufficient to protect against water coming up from the road? Living in a rainy state like Washington this is a concern.
Yes. That type of protection is common. It's good you found the gaps. We lost part of a floor because we didn't notice it. You might want to inspect the undercarriage frequently and repair with a good waterproof tape as needed in case of damage from road debris.

Welcome to new adventures!
Old 05-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio , enjoy your Cascade TT !
Old 05-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to FRF from Camano Island!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
washington