Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #1

Smile Hello from Wauseon, OH newbie

New to the Forest River family (and from what I see on this forum this is definitely a family). Bought a new 2011 Rockwood 2901SS Ultra Lite from Labadie RV (one of the best dealers I have ever found I might add) in Holland, OH last month and have been out with the trailer three times so far including an entire week at a local state park. We traded up from our Trailmanor 2720 that we loved. We bought the Trailmanor when our TV was a Chevy Colorado, we now own a Chevy Avalanche so it was time for a trailer upgrade. So far no trouble with the Rockwood and we love it! Recently spent a weekend at Tar Hollow State Park (we love the Ohio state park system, great campgrounds) and there were seven of us staying in the trailer. We never could have done that in the Trailmanor! Three more trips planned before the end of the season.

History of our trailers:
1) tent camping
2) popup (so long ago cannot remember brand)
3) Coachmen 25QB
got out of camping for a while when our daughter was born
4) Coachmen popup (used once and remembered why we upgraded from the popup
5) Trailmanor 2720
6) Rockwood 2901SS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Rockwood.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	3283  
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums, nice to have you here.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new camper. Hope you have many fun and trouble free outings.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #4

Small world

Hey neighbor we live up the road from you near the airport. We just upgraded from a rockwood pop up to a roo 23ss. We bought both at Labadie motors. They are a great dealer. One of our favorite camps is Cedar Lane on Catawba Island. Glad to see another north west ohio camper on the forums!
Monclovaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

We also went from a Trailmanor 2720 to Surveyor 263. The Trailmanor is a great trailer, but we now enjoy a walk-around bed, overhead cabinets, a full sized fridge, and being able to go into our trailer to do lunch or use the bathroom without having to "pop up" the Trailmanor. The gas mileage has gone south, though.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 PM   #6

Thanks everyone, we have already found so much useful information on this forum. The biggest for me so far has been the homemade wood/threaded rod version of the X-chocks. They work like a charm to take all the "rock" out of our Rockwood. We couldn't believe how much this thing rocked back and forth with regular wedge chocks compared to my parent's Puma and my brother's similar sized Springdale. Both of theirs have leaf spring suspensions and I think the Rockwood's rubber torsion axles have something to do with it. Our Trailmanor had one also and it rocked pretty bad.

Monclovaman-Greetings from the West end of Airport Highway, We've tented camped on Put in Bay before at the state park but I've never been out to Catawba. We will have to check that out someday. We do not really have a favorite camprgound, we try out a lot of them in the area. Pokagon and Harrison Lake would probably be my two favorites if I had to list some.

mtnguy-I here ya on the gas mileage. I could get 14 mpg towing the Trailmanor, with the Rockwood I am only getting 10 mpg. Price you have to pay for ease of setup and much much more space.
hoffkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

If you OH folks have nothing to do on Wed' evening, you can go down to Napoleon to watch me go by on US 24 as we drive to Indy .

My brother has a pair of the "redneck chocks" for his 5er & I think they might been 1 of the 1st things I made when I got my Rockwood last fall.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote