Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

Hello from Wisconsin

Just wanted to drop a note and say hello. I am buying a 2014 Sabre 34tbok next week. This is my first 5th wheel camper. We have rented some pull behinds in the past, but this is a whole new adventure.

My dealer is going to hold the 5er over the winter and I will do my PDI next spring. That will give me plenty of time to read up on what I need to look for.

Quick question, I need to buy some supplies for the rig, like level blocks, chocks, etc. Any suggestions on what are necessities or where to buy them? Any products people really love or dislike? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Again I just wanted to say Hi.
Peter3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

Welcome from Iron River Wisconsin.

Life is a highway!!!!!
jimdd810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #3
WFD

3 must haves in my books are, levelling blocks, X-Chocks by BAL, and a tripod...all can be bought on Amazon and they offer better prices than most, and you can have shipped to your door...many will say you don't any of these items, except for maybe levelling blocks....but the x-chocks and tripod absolutely help with decreasing movement in the trailer.
You will also want extras like more potable water hose than you think you will need, an extension for your power cord, some power supply boxes in some parks are set way back. Also invest in a good sewer hose, like the Rhino hose rather than the crap the dealer provides with the trailer.
oh...and a water pressure regulator as well.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Amazon is my life line for RV supplies. Look under the Automotive title. This will allow you better selections. Everything from water pressure reducers/regulators to drainage hoses/accesories.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

Hello from Minnesota and welcome to the forum! Always good information to be found here.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter3540 View Post
Just wanted to drop a note and say hello. I am buying a 2014 Sabre 34tbok next week. This is my first 5th wheel camper. We have rented some pull behinds in the past, but this is a whole new adventure.

My dealer is going to hold the 5er over the winter and I will do my PDI next spring. That will give me plenty of time to read up on what I need to look for.

Quick question, I need to buy some supplies for the rig, like level blocks, chocks, etc. Any suggestions on what are necessities or where to buy them? Any products people really love or dislike? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Again I just wanted to say Hi.
I would do the (PDI) BEFORE I Paid the Dealer! Since the Dealer is going to store the unit till spring,that would be a (GOOD) time to FIX anything found during the (PDI)! Come spring everything is Fixed and you are ready to Camp,unlike many other Members who are inline come Spring (Waiting for Service/Repair)! Your choice! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

The first mods to my 5r werr JB Stablizers for sway removal. Bottle jacks under the front axel to remove bounce. Vent covers to increase the life of vent covers. Leveling blocks to ensure leveling. And, a bubble level on the front king pin. I removed the bearings on my 5r. and repacked them with grease. Several on this forum will advise that. Their not packed well from the factory. The search bar is very nice on this page to find past modification... Good luck with your fiver and keep those bearing greased up..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0925121105.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	65754  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
3 must haves in my books are, levelling blocks, X-Chocks by BAL, and a tripod...all can be bought on Amazon and they offer better prices than most, and you can have shipped to your door...many will say you don't any of these items, except for maybe levelling blocks....but the x-chocks and tripod absolutely help with decreasing movement in the trailer.
You will also want extras like more potable water hose than you think you will need, an extension for your power cord, some power supply boxes in some parks are set way back. Also invest in a good sewer hose, like the Rhino hose rather than the crap the dealer provides with the trailer.
oh...and a water pressure regulator as well.
Thanks for the suggestions. I understand what a king tripod will do, but excuse my ignorance on one thing. After the camper is level and chocked, in what order I go about stabilizing the unit? My unit is equipped with Tj strong arms too. Would I lock the strong arms after the rear stabilizers are in place or after I have to back and kingpin tripod in place?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Vent covers to increase the life of vent covers.
That sounds like the department of redundancy department, but I know what you mean. What does everyone think of fantastic fans? I have one in the bathroom, but I was thinking of swapping out the ones from the bunks and the master too.

Quote:
I removed the bearings on my 5r. and repacked them with grease. Several on this forum will advise that. Their not packed well from the factory. The search bar is very nice on this page to find past modification... Good luck with your fiver and keep those bearing greased up..
The Sabre's come with the Super Lube bearing setup. Sounds as if it is really easy to keep the bearings fully of good new grease.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I would do the (PDI) BEFORE I Paid the Dealer! Since the Dealer is going to store the unit till spring,that would be a (GOOD) time to FIX anything found during the (PDI)! Come spring everything is Fixed and you are ready to Camp,unlike many other Members who are inline come Spring (Waiting for Service/Repair)! Your choice! Youroo!!
Good thought. Anyone have the "extensive" PDI list. Everytime I find a list, I find another with even more things to check!
Old 11-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
Hello from Minnesota and welcome to the forum! Always good information to be found here.
Gus

Where from in Minnesota? I am actually in Wisconsin, however I can be in the Twin Cities in 30 minutes. Also I noticed in your profile a picture album called first trip to the UP of Michigan. I liked the camping by the stream.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Airmech

Hello from WI. The only things I have on my list, and in my dads 5ver is 2x6's for leveling and under the wheels. The x chocks are on my list. I don't plan on getting the tri pod, but I am getting a king pin lock so no one can run off with my camper. Haven't had any stability issues with my old mans unit to worry about anything else at the moment. Just my 2 cents.
smittyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #13

Welcome from fellow Wisconsinite and Sabre owner. Congrats on your 2014 Sabre 34tbok!
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #14

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Welcome from NE Arkansas.....enjoy when you get the chance.....just traded our 2014 Jayco 30 ft travel trailer bunk house for a 2014 Silverback 33RL fifth wheel.....made our first trip last week in it and we love it.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter3540 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I understand what a king tripod will do, but excuse my ignorance on one thing. After the camper is level and chocked, in what order I go about stabilizing the unit? My unit is equipped with Tj strong arms too. Would I lock the strong arms after the rear stabilizers are in place or after I have to back and kingpin tripod in place?
With the JT's a tripod stabilizer is not necessary. Sold mine as I never use it anymore. One tip with the JT's - level out, tighten them, then lower the landing gear just a bit to take the slack out. Big difference.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote