Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Hello From Wyoming

Howdy Folks... Brand spanking new RV'ers here. Just bought a 2013 Windjammer 2809W.

Taking it out for the first time next weekend! Pretty excited.

Any first time camper tips?

Andy H.
ahanson82520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Future Archaeologist

Hey Andy, welcome from another newbie!

I would do a test camp-out with your trailer in your driveway and see how everything feels and works. It will also help you to realize what you forgot and need to bring.

My sister in law is from Riverton, and we often go camping outside of Lander. Good to have you here!
arrowhead307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Thanks... We have done that and so far so good.

It's kinda funny but every time I go to Ace Hardware or Walmart I find myself making purchases for the "camper".. It may be getting out of control actually!! Just kidding.. We're having such a great time with it and haven't even been officially out yet.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahanson82520
Howdy Folks... Brand spanking new RV'ers here. Just bought a 2013 Windjammer 2809W.

Taking it out for the first time next weekend! Pretty excited.

Any first time camper tips?

Andy H.
Welcome to the forum and welcome to forest river!

Do a camp out at home is the best suggestion!
It helps u familiarize yourself with you camper and less surprises come up while camping hours away!
Good luck and post up pics!
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Future Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Good luck and post up pics!
Ron
x2 ^
arrowhead307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Site Team

to the forums! Wish I had better news for you but shopping for the RV never seems to stop.

Enjoy your new RV!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #7

Hey there,

to the forums, congratulations on your first Trailer
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #8

Welcome to the Pointy Nose crew! Tips for first campout: full propane tanks, camp near a town so you can run in and buy what you forgot, travel w/ some water in your fresh tanks just in case, full if you are going boondock. You have already camped in the driveway so you should be ready. Are you looking at natl park, state park, full hook-up campground or boondocking?

Wyo roots from Kemmerer. Just up there to see relatives. Have fun!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel702
Welcome to the Pointy Nose crew! Tips for first campout: full propane tanks, camp near a town so you can run in and buy what you forgot, travel w/ some water in your fresh tanks just in case, full if you are going boondock. You have already camped in the driveway so you should be ready. Are you looking at natl park, state park, full hook-up campground or boondocking?

Wyo roots from Kemmerer. Just up there to see relatives. Have fun!
Thanks for the tips....

Our first trip were going to the Falls Campground above Dubois, WY. The have 30 amp service... But that's it. We will fill the tank and see what happens. Then over Labor Day we thought we'd pull through Yellowstone Park and see about camping at an RV park in West Yellowstone. We're pretty excited.

Andy H
Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone
Hey there,

to the forums, congratulations on your first Trailer
Thanks a bunch.. We're pretty excited. I keep telling my wife that I can't wait for Friday to get here.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Site Team

Most major holidays are usually packed with campers. Might be worth checking to see how it looks for your trip although it might open up a day or two after Labor Day.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #12

Check the water heater !! :-) !!

One thing that I had trouble with: I got to my first campsite with our new trailer, got all set up and wanted to take a hot shower (one of the BIG reasons we got our trailer). I had turned on the water heater switch like the guy showed us at the dealership-the little "fault" light went on and then off just like he said it would, so I'm thinking I should have hot water in a little while. I checked to make sure I had water coming out of all the hot water sides of the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and the hot side of the shower. I let it run until no more air, and it was running solid water. 15-20 minutes later - no hot water
I checked the water heater, pushed the 2 reset buttons for the electric..the flame ignited, and I figured I'm good, right? 10 minutes later..still not even warm. Checked the water heater again - no flame, reset buttons won't reset. Just out of curiosity, I pull the TP (temperature/pressure) blow off lever to see if maybe there was an air pocket that was "fooling" the thermostat - all I got was a tiny 'pfffft' of air and then nothing. Huh, I'm thinking to myself "how come there's no water in the water heater? I've got water everywhere else.." Then I remembered reading stuff on this forum about 'bypassing the water heater'... so I look for all the valves I can find from the city water connection on in..they're all open..that I can see..but I haven't actually seen the water heater connections. They didn't mention that in the walk thru, but then they didn't tell me where the water filter housing was either - I found that just inside the storage compartment behind a small panel held on by 5 screws. So I start trying to figure out where the water heater is on the inside..there's a cabinet door in the kitchen lower cabinet with 3 hinges on it..Makita screw gun and it's open...and there is the back of the water heater, along with 3 valves: hot supply, cold supply, and the bypass valve in between. Hot and Cold were turned OFF, and the bypass was OPEN: My water heater was in bypass mode This explains everything. Open the supplies, close the bypass, run some faucets, go back outside and pull the T&P valve and "burp" the water heater, and voila! I'm in business
I really wish the dealer prep/walk thru guy had checked/showed me this. I did realize after unscrewing the cabinet door, that if I pulled the drawer above it all the way out and off of it's guides, that I could reach in and get to those valves w/o having to use tools, so it'll be easier next time I want to access the bypass valves. ;-)
Here's hoping you have lots of hot water and lots of fun on your trip.

2012 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Package
Days camping in 2012: 20, 2013: 20, 2014: 23, 2015: 10, 2016: 13, 2017: 6, 2018: 17

Kirk Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:05 AM   #13

Definitely suggest reservations if you can get them in Yellowstone during Labor day. Most have to book 6 mos. in advance. We are heading up to Montana in Sept and plan to stay along the Hoback on the way. Fishing, golf and camping out of the heat. Maybe catch some sage chicken hunting on the way back. Keep an eye out for more Pointy noses!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #14

On our second trip to a Provincial Park, found out the furnace didn't work. Had to take it to Recreational world in Thunder Bay, Ontario. They had to replace the circuit, over $500 which we had to pay up front until the warranty cheque comes in. Purchased the WJ in Minnesota and being Canadian it was much closer to Thunder Bay. We love the WJ.
2013 WJ 3008W
2006 Silverado 5.3
JohnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote