Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #11

So basically the vehicle manufacturers rate their vehicles higher than they should and the trailer manufacturers say their product is lighter than it is. Seems like a lot of liability between the two. What all goes into getting ready to camp that weights 3000 lbs? I sound frustrated and I am. I've never been an overly cautious person but I'm not an adrenaline junky and it seems as though folks only deem a heavy duty diesel vehicle as a suitable tow vehicle. I may not even purchase as it seems as though I will have to make a compromise one way or the other but I do plan on taking the dealer up on the option to tow the trailer before I buy. I appreciate your advice and sorry for the tone of frustration.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post
So basically the vehicle manufacturers rate their vehicles higher than they should and the trailer manufacturers say their product is lighter than it is. Seems like a lot of liability between the two. What all goes into getting ready to camp that weights 3000 lbs? I sound frustrated and I am. I've never been an overly cautious person but I'm not an adrenaline junky and it seems as though folks only deem a heavy duty diesel vehicle as a suitable tow vehicle. I may not even purchase as it seems as though I will have to make a compromise one way or the other but I do plan on taking the dealer up on the option to tow the trailer before I buy. I appreciate your advice and sorry for the tone of frustration.
It's good that you are asking this now vs. after you made a purchase only to find out you do not like the setup, as others on here have done. There is a difference between being cautious and being safe and understanding the risks before hand.

As for the 3,000lbs. That is the difference between the Dry weight and what the camper frame was built to handle. When you get a new camper it will have a sticker of the actual weight, that number will be more than the published dry weight depending on options, which will lower the 3000lbs available, then you will add propane tanks, propane gas, drinking water - 36 gallons at 8.4lbs per gal, battery, ect before you even add personal items to the unit. If you are thinking load for camping as clothes and food your right in that 3000lbs will not be added. You'll be surprised how fast it adds up but it can be controlled.

I am not in the school that you need some HD Diesel to pull a camper either, but you need to have the appropriate TV to TT and l leave it to the MFG who publish the specs to determine what that is. We just need to understand how to apply them to make the match set work to be safe.

2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant

the problem is that you have a v-6 mid-size truck, which comes with certain limitations.
having a v-8 full-size truck allows for more choices, but also has certain limitations, too.

we're just trying to give you our opinions from personal experiences.
when i researched for a new HTT and tow vehicle, i asked the same kind of questions. i took all the opinions in and made my own decision.
i found the floorplan we liked and looked for a TV that would easily tow it. i didn't need a diesel but had to forget the v-6 trucks.(Ecoboost wasn't around then)
i live in the West with lots of mountains to go over, so towing at the TV's max and trying to pull over mountain ranges, would not be a good idea.
so, i have about 2000lbs. of extra tow capacity with my truck, which allows me to not worry about the mountains.
i can drive the speed limit and not worry about straining the engine.

so, you have to decide, from all the opinions, what works for you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #14

I appreciate all the feedback. I am going to wait a bit and see what next year brings. I don't want to compromise on a trailer just to suit my current vehicle. I may try renting a trailer in the meantime.