Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Hello! Looking at an SP-240

Have a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X looking to tow a Surveyor SP-240. I know I'm good on tow weight (4400 dry weight on trailer and my trucks good for 6100) and think I'm good on hitch weight but I'm looking for feedback from those who tow with a smaller truck. I do plan on getting a weight distribution hitch with sway control and a nice brake controller to boot. I did try to search on this but must not be using the best terms so if your the search police I apologize in advance. I'm a total newb to all this but I'm really excited to learn! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Gadgetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Team

i hate to be negative but you're talking about towing a nearly 27' TT with a GVWR of 7505lbs, with a v-6 mid-size truck.
the 240 does have a big CCC but you'll easily be near the max of your Frontier and that's not even talking about the affect wind will have on your short wheelbase v-6 truck.

the 240 has a "dry" weight of 4167lbs. your 4400 number sounds like the factory UVW. this is without the weights of battery, propane, water and cargo.
plus, the "dry" hitch weight of 505lbs., will certainly be closer to at least 650lbs. when loaded for camping. i think that's your biggest issue, hitch weight.
if i remember right, the v-6 trucks have a max of 500-600lbs. hitch weight.
should be in your owner's manual.

anything in your Frontier, other than a 150lb. driver, reduces that 6100 number.
loaded for camping and with passengers and cargo in the truck, you'll be near your truck's max but i think the hitch weight is the biggest issue, along with the trailer's length.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

Maybe this would be a better option: Dry hitch weight of 425 lbs, Dry TT weight of 3804 lbs and a length of 24'8".
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/default22.asp?location=rv&unittype=&page=floorview ertt&model=SP-220&choice=surv&nav=rec&name=4295&series=SurveyorS port
Old 02-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #4

I've been checking with some folks on a Frontier forum and there are arguments for and against. I think my goal will be to keep the trips fairly close and short until I get a different tow vehicle. There are those hauling larger and heavier trailers with the Frontier and with careful planning I'll be okay.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post
I've been checking with some folks on a Frontier forum and there are arguments for and against. I think my goal will be to keep the trips fairly close and short until I get a different tow vehicle. There are those hauling larger and heavier trailers with the Frontier and with careful planning I'll be okay.
There always be argurments for and against because people have different views. Please take into consideration the reasoning & goal behind each argurment.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetech
There always be argurments for and against because people have different views. Please take into consideration the reasoning & goal behind each argurment.

You may also want to run that idea past your insurance agent, I think you'll find that there is clause related to knowingly overloading the capacity of your TV. And should anything happen they will not cover you.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Quote:
You may also want to run that idea past your insurance agent, I think you'll find that there is clause related to knowingly overloading the capacity of your TV. And should anything happen they will not cover you.
I'm sure you are correct. The dry hitch weight is less than the max rating and if I'm strategic, I would think I can keep the hitch weight below my 610 lb maximum. I doubt I would get near the 6100 lb tow rating and my GCWR would be below maxmimums as well. I'm not trying to figure out if I can game the system, I'm curious if there's a way to mitigate tongue weight by storing things behind the axle and keeping the trips short to reduce the amount of stuff that has to be brought along. If I'm below the max ratings and take it easy, why is there any issue? I think my main area of concern is the hitch weight, not the trailer weight or the GCWR so if I can mitigate that by being strategic I think I'm okay, no?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Maybe, maybe not. Weight has to be distributed somewhat evenly with the correct percentage on the hitch otherwise the tow will become unstable, (you get get a lot of sway) the risk will be wind (passing semi) causing the TT to move to far sideways and pulling the TV with it. It becomes even more dangerous on wet surfaces where traction in lower especially with a short wheelbase TV.

It's your family so it your call, we are just trying to point out the possible issues related to a mismatched TV and TT.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #9

Hmmm. Okay, I'll have to look at something else. What about the SP-220? I think I referenced that one earlier above. It's dry weight is below 4k and dry tongue weight is 425.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #10

First, forget dry weight that is even before options are added at the factory. Look at the GVWR that will be the high end number once you load the unit and are ready to camp.
SP-220 is 7,425lbs, your target will be 15% of that to be hitch weight. The rest is just a calculation and comparison to the Trucks MFG specs.
This site will help you out:
Travel Trailer Weight Calculator

If you have any other questions please ask, a lot of people do overload their TV and tow beyond the MFG recommendations I see it all the time at the CG, some do not even know (TT sales guy told them the TV was ok), others are dong it with a plan to change the TV the following year. Just be aware and plan your route so you can travel safe.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #11

So basically the vehicle manufacturers rate their vehicles higher than they should and the trailer manufacturers say their product is lighter than it is. Seems like a lot of liability between the two. What all goes into getting ready to camp that weights 3000 lbs? I sound frustrated and I am. I've never been an overly cautious person but I'm not an adrenaline junky and it seems as though folks only deem a heavy duty diesel vehicle as a suitable tow vehicle. I may not even purchase as it seems as though I will have to make a compromise one way or the other but I do plan on taking the dealer up on the option to tow the trailer before I buy. I appreciate your advice and sorry for the tone of frustration.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetech View Post
So basically the vehicle manufacturers rate their vehicles higher than they should and the trailer manufacturers say their product is lighter than it is. Seems like a lot of liability between the two. What all goes into getting ready to camp that weights 3000 lbs? I sound frustrated and I am. I've never been an overly cautious person but I'm not an adrenaline junky and it seems as though folks only deem a heavy duty diesel vehicle as a suitable tow vehicle. I may not even purchase as it seems as though I will have to make a compromise one way or the other but I do plan on taking the dealer up on the option to tow the trailer before I buy. I appreciate your advice and sorry for the tone of frustration.
It's good that you are asking this now vs. after you made a purchase only to find out you do not like the setup, as others on here have done. There is a difference between being cautious and being safe and understanding the risks before hand.

As for the 3,000lbs. That is the difference between the Dry weight and what the camper frame was built to handle. When you get a new camper it will have a sticker of the actual weight, that number will be more than the published dry weight depending on options, which will lower the 3000lbs available, then you will add propane tanks, propane gas, drinking water - 36 gallons at 8.4lbs per gal, battery, ect before you even add personal items to the unit. If you are thinking load for camping as clothes and food your right in that 3000lbs will not be added. You'll be surprised how fast it adds up but it can be controlled.

I am not in the school that you need some HD Diesel to pull a camper either, but you need to have the appropriate TV to TT and l leave it to the MFG who publish the specs to determine what that is. We just need to understand how to apply them to make the match set work to be safe.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Site Team

the problem is that you have a v-6 mid-size truck, which comes with certain limitations.
having a v-8 full-size truck allows for more choices, but also has certain limitations, too.

we're just trying to give you our opinions from personal experiences.
when i researched for a new HTT and tow vehicle, i asked the same kind of questions. i took all the opinions in and made my own decision.
i found the floorplan we liked and looked for a TV that would easily tow it. i didn't need a diesel but had to forget the v-6 trucks.(Ecoboost wasn't around then)
i live in the West with lots of mountains to go over, so towing at the TV's max and trying to pull over mountain ranges, would not be a good idea.
so, i have about 2000lbs. of extra tow capacity with my truck, which allows me to not worry about the mountains.
i can drive the speed limit and not worry about straining the engine.

so, you have to decide, from all the opinions, what works for you.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #14

I appreciate all the feedback. I am going to wait a bit and see what next year brings. I don't want to compromise on a trailer just to suit my current vehicle. I may try renting a trailer in the meantime.