Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

Hello to all

Hello folks,

We are new to the forum. We have been avid tent campers for many years. We recently purchased our first pop up. It is a 2004 Flagstaff Classic M-825D. It is in really good shape and all we really want to do is customize a few items. I never realized pop ups could be so large. This one is 23'6" fully open, has a slide, and very spacious inside.

We live in the Atlanta, GA area and have ample 'opportunities' to camp within 2 hours drive.

Since we are new to pop up camping, we may be asking for help when needed. So, you might see a post or two from us soon as we take our pop up out for it's christening camp next weekend.

What we do know now is...we are beginning to plan our off time around using our pop up whenever we can. Hopefully this will never grow old.

Looking forward to being part of the group.

Regards,

Bucket Lister
Atlanta, GA
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

to the forum !!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
to the forum !!
X2

This is a great place for info, and finding out stuff you will need to know or want to know in some cases...
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

Enjoy the site as we have since we joined a few months ago.
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
to the forum !!
Lots of great info available here so visit and post often!!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #6

Welcome...congrats on your pop up...when the summer gets hot, take her to the mountains here in NC where we have tons of great camping and we are just 3 hours away...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #7

Welcome to the forum!
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #8

to the forum and congratulations on the new camper!

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 AM   #9

Welcome! And congrats on the new pop-up. We were also tent campers, for 20+ years. Can't wait for our new TT to come in. We're in our ninth week, so hopefully it should be here soon. Please stay in touch and let us know how your first trip went. You'll find all sorts of invaluable information here. It's no nice to know where to go when you have questions. And remember......there are no stupid questions!!
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #10

Thank you for the warm welcome

Hello campers,

Thanks for the warm welcome. We are on our way to a great learning experience with our camper.

On our way to the first 'christening' camp site, we blew a trailer tire after hitting something in the road. At 70 miles an hour, both TV and trailer handled well and there were no calamities or casualties. I found that I did not have a jack for the trailer (something I forgot to investigate before leaving) and my TV jack could not get low enough to jack the axle. We had to call road service. They showed up and in two minutes the blown tire was replaced with the spare. We left the side of a very busy interstate to meet at a gas station to sign the paperwork. On the way to the gas station, I noticed the tire was smoking. By the time we got to the top of the off ramp, the spare installed had blown.

So, here we are creeping into this gas station ass I did not want to be stuck on an on ramp. We now have no spare. The road service folks went above and beyond to find us two (yes, two) new tire and rim sets. They came back, installed both new tires and rims. When they took off the second blown tire, they noticed that a metal structural piece of the trailer had become impaled into the wooden floor. This metal piece cut the freshly installed spare shortly after we began to roll again.

KUDOS to Stubbs Roadside Service of Covington, GA. They went above and beyond to get us back on the road. Also, we had quite a few folks stopping to ask if they could help. Everyone who stopped was a camper of some sort (pop-up, TT, 5th wheel, MH). It gave me a sense of community actually. Though the folks who stopped were told it was 'under control and we had help', we were actually taken aback by the pouring out of assistance from total strangers.

I know now, that when I can, I will 'pay-it-forward' with like kindness and will stop to assist when I see another camper in need.

Anyway, after the tire learning experience we did have a great camping trip. We went to Hard Laobr Creek SP in Rutledge, GA. The SP is huge and has much to offer and we only scratched the surface by doing some geocaching with success.

We are learning what works, and how things work on our pop up, and are sure we will learn more as time with our camper begins to grow. I am sure we will be reading past posts to learn as much as we can and ask questions if we cannot find an answer elsewhere.

Glad to be part of the forum.

Bucket Lister
p.s. hope my post wasn't too long...I write like I speak...HA!
Bucket Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Site Team

glad it worked out.
by the way, 70mph is too fast for pulling any kind of trailer and i'll bet the tires on it aren't rated for that fast of a speed.
they might be ST tires, which are rated only up to 65mph.

as a suggestion, never post how fast you tow at.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote