Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 12:43 AM   #1
Princess Kelea

Help Please! (Shore Power Cord)

This unit did not come with the power cord that may have been included when new. I'm trying to figure out which power cord I would need. The nearest Camping World is almost 2 hours away and from the pix on the website I cannot ascertain what I need.
I do have an adapter that goes from 30a to 15a but from what I've read that will not be sufficient to run the ducted A/C on this unit.
I am attaching pix of the Furrion 30A 125V (from what I can see from research this is a "marine" connection) that's installed on the unit and the pigtail adapter I have which I'm running on an extension cord to the garage for now.
We just purchased the Champion 7500 RV generator with remote and wheels to use when we're camping in the forest. It might be overkill for what we need but the price was great and I can start it from 80' away. Plus it's on wheels. Thanks for reading, sorry to be such a newbie, this is our first travel trailer.

PS: I think I added the RV to our garage. I'm not sure how to post except for here and I posted a reply to my garage entry.
Yep, I'm new! Thanks for having us!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190628_210626.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	208472   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190628_210649.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	208473   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190628_210743_1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	208474   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190628_210732_1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	208475  
Princess Kelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Howdy and welcome aboard. Electrical connections are best referred to by their "NEMA" assignments.

What you want is a shore power cord with a NEMA L5-30R end to connect to the RV and the other end to be a NEMA TT-30P to connect to the shore power outlet. The R and P at the end of the designation indicates whether its a Receptacle (female end) or Plug (male end)

Like this one on Amazon as just an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Weekender-Foo...omotive&sr=1-4

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Kelea View Post
wheels. Thanks for reading, sorry to be such a newbie, this is our first travel trailer.

Since you stated you were new, this thread may be of help also, as it's aimed at those in your situation (which we all were at one time):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:12 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to FRF!
Please post year, make and model of RV or put that info in your profile.
That way our members can more helpful.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Princess Kelea

WOW! Thank you for that excellent graphic and your reply. Truly appreciate the response and help. Looking forward to helping someone else one day!
Kelea.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
Princess Kelea

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Welcome to FRF!
Please post year, make and model of RV or put that info in your profile.
That way our members can more helpful.
I thought I did that - but I was in the "garage" - hopefully I've got it fixed now. Thank you.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

The twist-lock end on the side of your camper is a standard configuration and is available from a few different well-known brands and some unknown offshore brands. Don't know about Conntek or Furrion, but on the Park Power/Marinco cord, you can get a collar that threads onto the power inlet or is 1/8 turn. We have the 1/8 turn and have had the threaded one in the past. I like the 1/8 turn much better.

The cords can be found on the internet from RV parts vendors or ebay or Amazon. Pays to shop around. You can also find them on CL sometimes. Don't buy a used one if the plug blades are pitted and dirty.

It's not a good idea to run an AC unit on 15 amps, even if nothing else is running. AC units draw around 12-15 amps depending on make & model. A converter will draw at least a few amps. Some will claim it's not an issue, but if you want to shorten the life of an AC unit or cause a cord's plug or connector to melt down, you can try it and find out what happens. New AC units are not cheap.

FWIW, when buying shore power cords or adapters, look to see if they're UL listed. If not, the quality of internal parts is unknown and could cause a poor connection. Unlike just about everything else electrical in this world, cords & adapters aren't required to be UL listed.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #8

Be aware and fearful... just because someone is a licensed electrician they don't all seem to know an 30Amp RV plug is not 250V but always 125V for RV's.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote