Old 05-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post
Here's my water heater flush, whenever I have the anode rod out I usually shoot some water from the hose back in the hole for 10-15 seconds and let is gush back out, then repeat until clean. Cleans all those bits from the anode rod back out so they don't get into the system.
That's what I do after every trip. And there is no need to replace the anode unless it is severely lost a lot of its coating.

Plus, in my opinion, by removing the anode after every trip, it doesn't sieze like some of them have been known to do.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #12

OK, lets just say that someone ran antifreeze thru the water heater when
this someone was winterizing last year. I take it that was not the proper thing to do. How do you drain antifreeze from the hot water tank if that wrong procedure was followed? I too am a newbee.
Thanks

Old 05-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Who winterized it? You could look and see if the bypass valves at the WH are in bypass mode, which would prevent any water and anti-freeze getting into the heater. Depending on the water quality where you are and how often you camp, anodes are good for about a year plus/minus. I'd recommend having at least one spare on hand. I would pull out the existing one and check it anyway. If properly winterized, no water should come out when you remove the anode.

If you have no idea how well it was maintained in the past, you might also want to clean out and flush the black water tank and probably the grey too. Maybe also check out caulking all around and up top. There's some other things you should probably go over too so just ask if you need more info.

Sounds like you might be in eastern Canada? We've been out 3 times now in the banana belt of Canada. Have fun camping and welcome!
The Previous owners winterized the system. they've owned it for 5 years I think and took real good care of it. We had it checked by an RV mechanic and got a spring check up not too long ago. I was going to have them de-winterize it for me but due to the colder temperature's this year they said they wouldn't start de-winterizing RVs themselves until May 17th, which for us is day 1 of our trip. I am planning on flushing the lines out this weekend.

Everything else seems ready to go I just need to get this last thing done (I hope).

-Dimos
Old 05-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by breul View Post
OK, lets just say that someone ran antifreeze thru the water heater when
this someone was winterizing last year. I take it that was not the proper thing to do. How do you drain antifreeze from the hot water tank if that wrong procedure was followed? I too am a newbee.
Thanks
HA! I guess it was a freind's, neighbour's, cousin's, friend's, sibling that did this?

I am guessing a good flushing would do the trick. The youtube videos I've seen use 5 gallons of vinegar to help clean things out. Not sure though so don't trust me. I'm still researching.

Cheers!
-Dimos
Old 05-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

1/4 cup of bleach to 15 gallons of water installed in your fw tank.

Run all taps, faucets, toilets, showers etc till water runs clear.
Let sit over night then drain fw tank and refill with water and flush lines for a few minutes.
Install a new water filter if your unit has one and call er good.

Turbs
Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #16

So, when I speak with this guy who might have winterized my TT last year,
I should tell him to drain the hot water heater tank by removing the anode
rod instead of buying 5 more gallons of antifreeze? This may make some sense.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by breul View Post
So, when I speak with this guy who might have winterized my TT last year,
I should tell him to drain the hot water heater tank by removing the anode
rod instead of buying 5 more gallons of antifreeze? This may make some sense.
Thanks for the info.
Most certainly correct!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
Moderators' Assistant

what new owners fail to realize is that large volume items DON'T need antifreeze. the antifreeze is for the lines that will rupture if it freezes and there's no room for the remaining water to expand when it freezes.
FW/black/gray tanks and water heater, once drained, have plenty of room for any remaining water to expand. so no antifreeze is needed for them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #19

That is good to know. I'll same $ on antifreeze in the Fall when I (or someone else) Winterizes and also in Feb when I drive back from Florida and need to
Re-Winterize again like I have done the last few years. Should be able to save on gallons of the stuff. This forum is great.
Thanks again
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
what new owners fail to realize is that large volume items DON'T need antifreeze. the antifreeze is for the lines that will rupture if it freezes and there's no room for the remaining water to expand when it freezes.
FW/black/gray tanks and water heater, once drained, have plenty of room for any remaining water to expand. so no antifreeze is needed for them.
That makes total sense to me. I didn't do the winterizing last season but this definitely helps for next season. I actually checked the FW holding tank and it is indeed empty. Should I still flush it with a bleach or vinegar solution? I'm assuming the hot water heater/tank is empty too because it looks like the aftermarket anode rod/drain plug is out.

I've attached some photos of my set up. If you or anyone else for that matter point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks all!
-Dimos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2021970898.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	30173   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3517196195.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	30174   Click image for larger version