Old 03-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
Welcome from Alabama. No matter what you pick, just have fun

Pennie and Chuck, Mandi and Polly (the little dogs)
2014 Georgetown XL378, 2013 Honda CR-V AWD Toad
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 49 and counting

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
Moderators' Assistant
well, since you're in Mass., strongly suggest you get a quote from RVDirect, who has a couple of dealerships in NY.
they have both the Roo and the Shamrock 233S and will probably beat any dealer's price.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
A common thread is if the bride and kids are happy, then everyone is happy. It's going to be a great adventure regardless. Enjoy and welcome. BTW, this is all new to us as new 5er owners, and my bride is happy, therefore I am happy! lots of great info here at the forum.
BigandJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Welcome! I am new to FRF also and have already received so much advice and tips! Massachusetts is a great state...I was born and raised in western MA! Also lived in Maine a little before settling here in central PA. We just purchased an 07 Roo 233 and are very excited for Spring so we can rock and roll! No plans on heading to New England this year, but perhaps next. Your boys are going to love camping!
2007 Rockwood Roo 233
2006 F150 XLT Crew Cab

MommaHuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
wow thank you for all the welcomes! and I chuckled at the mrs being happy means everyone is happy LOL!!
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
I would suggest a hard body and no canvass. That still leaves you with many options. Think long term. Your kids will grow fast and you will want the room and easy set up and take down. One of my in-laws had a camper with canvass and it always seemed to rain. When the camping trip was over and packed away, they would always have to reset up their unit at home and let it 'dry out'. They camped like that for 5 years until their eldest smashed a hole into the side.... My sister-in-law said...(not being mad, but very happy). "Oh thank God... now we can buy a bigger and better camper...." it was a Salem with slide out that they bought.
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by hockeyfam View Post
Hi! Just stopping in to say hello!
After 6 months of research and shows and dealers and LOTS of reading online, we are finally ready to put an offer on our first camper!!! I'm still learning the lingo since I've never done any camping ever in my life but I'm really pumped!

I have 2 boys 8 and 5 and I am really looking forward to making family memories!

We have 2 dealers about 10 miles from us in opposite directions. One sells the roo and one sells the shamrock. We have settled on (I think!) the 233s.

So wish us luck as we start the negotiating! So far everything I've read here has taught me a lot!

You're going to love the 233S (we have one, too). Our three girls were also in that 5-8 range when we got this camper. They love the bunks.

Be sure to visit the Roo/Shamrock forum here on FRF for more info.

Good to have you aboard.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote