Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 05:14 PM   #1

Hey Folks from Long Island NY.

Picking up my new 2017 2104s this weekend. Had everything from a pop up to a fifth wheel but this is our first travel trailer. Been about 10 years since we last camped and can't wait to get out there again.
rndsommer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #2

Welcome from Missouri.....you just can't let it go can you?

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered and share your experience
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikersarge View Post
Welcome from Missouri.....you just can't let it go can you?
We camped until the kids didn't want to go anymore. Now they're both away in college. Time to pick it up again.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #5

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your TT !
Old 10-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

Welcome from Wisconsin and congrats on your TT.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #7

Hello and congrats on your renewal to the camping subscription.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:35 PM   #8

Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer4 View Post
Picking up my new 2017 2104s this weekend. Had everything from a pop up to a fifth wheel but this is our first travel trailer. Been about 10 years since we last camped and can't wait to get out there again.
Hello - I'm an ex-Long Islander and also looking at getting the Flagstaff 21DS (identical to 2104S). Was waiting for it to come in, and it finally did.
Was wondering how you came about this unit as your choice and any other helpful information. Thanks!
sportbikenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportbikenut View Post
Hello - I'm an ex-Long Islander and also looking at getting the Flagstaff 21DS (identical to 2104S). Was waiting for it to come in, and it finally did.
Was wondering how you came about this unit as your choice and any other helpful information. Thanks!
I did alot of research before I chose a make and then narrowed it down to the model by tow weight. I tow with a 2015 silverado rated for 7400lbs max. The 2104s is around 4300lbs dry so I'm well below that. It's just me and my wife 99% of the time and it fits our needs and pulls really well. Went to look at a few other makes and the ones we looked at didn't seem to have the same fit and finish as the rockwood. Another brand (apex) actually had molding that peeled off and the vanity mirror was hanging on by a thread new in the lot. That said I don't really like the slide operation on the 2104s.....it kind of comes in and out on a slight up and down angle and does not seem smooth but it closes tight and opens up completely. The other rockwood units we saw were the same. It's the first slide unit I've ever been in or operated so maybe it's just me. I could have saved some money had i went with a similar size in a different brand but I paid under $18k for the 2104s so I felt it was a good deal even though I had to drive 8 hours to get it. I could not find one at that price anywhere online. I do have a small drip when it rains coming thru the TV antenna roof tuning dial which is annoying being I bought it new only 4 days ago. Going up on the roof tomorrow with a tube of that self leveling roof caulk while the dealer is on the phone. Hopefully it's something obvious and I can avoid a trip to the nearest dealership. Not making the 8 hour ride back there for warranty issues when there's a dealership in CT. Seems to be a somewhat common place to leak.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndsommer4 View Post
I did alot of research before I chose a make and then narrowed it down to the model by tow weight. I tow with a 2015 silverado rated for 7400lbs max. The 2104s is around 4300lbs dry so I'm well below that. It's just me and my wife 99% of the time and it fits our needs and pulls really well. Went to look at a few other makes and the ones we looked at didn't seem to have the same fit and finish as the rockwood. Another brand (apex) actually had molding that peeled off and the vanity mirror was hanging on by a thread new in the lot. That said I don't really like the slide operation on the 2104s.....it kind of comes in and out on a slight up and down angle and does not seem smooth but it closes tight and opens up completely. The other rockwood units we saw were the same. It's the first slide unit I've ever been in or operated so maybe it's just me. I could have saved some money had i went with a similar size in a different brand but I paid under $18k for the 2104s so I felt it was a good deal even though I had to drive 8 hours to get it. I could not find one at that price anywhere online. I do have a small drip when it rains coming thru the TV antenna roof tuning dial which is annoying being I bought it new only 4 days ago. Going up on the roof tomorrow with a tube of that self leveling roof caulk while the dealer is on the phone. Hopefully it's something obvious and I can avoid a trip to the nearest dealership. Not making the 8 hour ride back there for warranty issues when there's a dealership in CT. Seems to be a somewhat common place to leak.
Thanks for the quick reply. I also wanted to go light, but these are pretty heavy for their length. Mine is actual 4,517 dry. Curious which dealer you went to, possibly RVW in Ohio? I feel like I'm getting a very good deal too with just about every option. I know what you mean about the slide. I tried one of the units at the dealer and it did seem kind of rough and un-level, and then falling into place. But from underneath, it appears to be very stout with a large steel support beam that other units don't have. I agree about the quality. It just feels like a higher grade of components. The roof leak should be very simple unless the plastic housing is cracked, but that could be sealed until replaced. Good luck and thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I also wanted to go light, but these are pretty heavy for their length. Mine is actual 4,517 dry. Curious which dealer you went to, possibly RVW in Ohio? I feel like I'm getting a very good deal too with just about every option. I know what you mean about the slide. I tried one of the units at the dealer and it did seem kind of rough and un-level, and then falling into place. But from underneath, it appears to be very stout with a large steel support beam that other units don't have. I agree about the quality. It just feels like a higher grade of components. The roof leak should be very simple unless the plastic housing is cracked, but that could be sealed until replaced. Good luck and thanks!
I went to Ray Wakley's in PA right near Lake Erie. They were terrific. You know how limited you are on long island RV shopping. I think only a Jayco dealer somewhere out on east end and limited inventory. You got the same model? I wonder where the extra 300lbs comes from on yours? I think I got most all the options except tank heaters and the slide topper that I might add next spring. Good luck with yours also.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #12

Could be that the new model front end with window, weighs more. They also added a large heavy duty tray in front which I did not see on the other models. Do you have that? You could fit 4 batteries on it. And yes, it has the slide topper, tank heaters, ladder etc.. Just about every option. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Could be that the new model front end with window, weighs more. They also added a large heavy duty tray in front which I did not see on the other models. Do you have that? You could fit 4 batteries on it. And yes, it has the slide topper, tank heaters, ladder etc.. Just about every option. Thanks.
No tray in front of mine. Have room for a 2nd battery and that's about it. I have pretty much everything except the slide topper and no tank heater. Just spent a night in it to winterize it and check all systems. Antenna housing cracked and some molding in the slide falling down and no power to the garbage furion back up camera. Dealer in Philly is going to fix everything. Some defects are to be expected not gonna lose sleep over it. Best of luck with yours.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 AM   #14
Camper

Congrats from a fellow Islander!

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote