Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #1

Hey, taking the plunge

Hi campers,

Gonna take the plunge and buy the Shamrock 183 that is on the lot at my local dealer. It was the first one my girlfriend and I looked at that pleased us. We have had to look at price,size and quality to determine this decision. Checked out the Roo also but can't get one for 2.5 months so being that we are happy with the Shamrock it makes sense to do this.

Anything I need to know about this camper and/or what I need to enjoy this beauty? I will be towing with my 2003 Tacoma 4wd V6. I will be installing the brake controller so that will be handled. To me this camper is awesome, forgetting that I walked a Georgetown while we waited for a price on the Shamrock.

Sam
samsc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #2

We had a Shamrock for years. It was nice to be able to have a hard sided camper and being able to sleep in a tent. Just make sure you don't get to much moisture build up in the camper, otherwise you will get condensation in the bunk ends. Leave the roof vent open and the screens open a bit in cool weather. We now have a Rockwood 2902SS. Have fun, I know we did
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #3

Congrats !!
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #4

Hey thanks a bunch for that info. We can't wait to go tomorrow and let them know that camper is OURS! If there is anything we need to know about this would be great. Like to hear from a owner of this unit or very similar that would be assuring. Forest River seems like it has a great deal of prideful owners. I come to this forum from another group of prideful owners of our Toyota and this place feels the same way.

Sam and Tonya.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #5

Hi,
We have a Shamrock. A couple of years old, I am thinking that the one you are buying is a new one. If it is not new, then there is a bunk end seal kit that is available, as apparently some people had leaks. We have never had a leak, but ordered it anyway, because it was free, so why not beef up the seals.
Everything else on the trailer is really nice quality, and we have loved this trailer more than any other we have had. It is light and easy to pull but also spacious when opened up.

We have done a few fun modifications which I will be posting pics of in a few days. I will title it Shamrock modifications, so you will notice it. These are mostly just modifications that increased storage and efficiency.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #6

Alright! Just put the down payment on it a little while ago. Will be picking it up Monday afternoon and the brake controller installed Monday too. Ya'll stand by. Sure I will have more questions than i can ask when we pick it up.

Sam and Tonya
Old 06-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #7

Congrats! Enjoy!

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

Congratulations! I know the feeling. We just bought a Roo 23ss. Loving it!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Site Team

Congrats on your new toy!
be sure to post questions on the Expandable section here, since the 183 is a hybrid.

you didn't mention if you have a WDH with sway control. if not, you'll need it.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #10

You really think I will need it? The tongue weight is under 300 and total is about 3600 dry. I have not posted that i have upgraded springs(9 leaf Deaver lift springs that are stiff, and external reservoir shocks as well)

Both dealers I inquired purchasing from said I would be okay and if I felt interested in it they would have not recomended it though as the truck looks extremely capable looking at the rear suspension setup.

Sway?
Weight Distribution?
Both?

Suggestion and real life experiences would be awesome.
Equal-I-zer
Old 06-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #11

What Toyota are you pulling with?

I am all for having a tuff set up, and looking at the specs on the Shamrock, I tend to agree with you not needing the WDH or Sway control, depending on your wheelbase and sounds like your suspension is tough enough to hand 400 lbs without any trouble,

My suggestion is hook it up and try it, you can always buy the WDH or Sway control later, just use common sense, if it drops your rear end much, then buy it, if it pulls you around much then get the sway control
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsc03 View Post
You really think I will need it? The tongue weight is under 300 and total is about 3600 dry. I have not posted that i have upgraded springs(9 leaf Deaver lift springs that are stiff, and external reservoir shocks as well)
Sway?
Weight Distribution?
Both?

Suggestion and real life experiences would be awesome.
well, check your owner's manual. usually, a WDH is required by the manufacturer over a certain trailer or tongue weight.

i don't know what toyota requires on their trucks.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:18 AM   #13

the truck is a 2003 4wd extended cab 4wd. Max capacity is 5000 and 500 tongue.

Just gonna have to wait and see. Tomorrow is the big day.

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer
Old 06-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsc03 View Post
the truck is a 2003 4wd extended cab 4wd. Max capacity is 5000 and 500 tongue.

Just gonna have to wait and see. Tomorrow is the big day.

Sam and Tonya
the owner's manual should state how much tongue or trailer weight requires the use of a WDH.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #15

Sam,
Congrats on the new camper and welcome to the forum. You will find that if you need help, this is the place.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 PM   #16

Hey we got it home! Got an avatar pic of it and all. We feel feel pretty good about it. Towed it well, knew it was there of course. Has to adjust the brake controller a few times even though the dealer did it at the lot but once the brakes warmed up I had to adjust the controller a few times and it feels close to what it normally feels like braking but still feeling like its there so I feel like it is right. Can't wait to get it on the road and go somewhere even if it is close. I was exhausted afterwards and all I wanted to do today was get the essentials and try and get relaxed to look at the future. From the way it was described and demonstrated this does more than I thought it would do. Can't wait!

Sam and Tonya
Equal-I-zer