Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #1

Hi everyone!

Jeff and Dana here.
Just came over from the R-Vision site. Sold my TT and am picking up my used 03 Cardinal 312BH today.
I'm a little nervous as this will be my first 5th wheel tow. It's only eighty miles though and 90% interstate so that helps. My TV is a 04 F-250 SC 4X4 Lariat. with a Reese Pro Series 15K slider hitch. I have alot of confidence in this truck, but some of my nervousness comes from my TV having the lowest tow rating of all the F-250 Superduty's. My manual that came with the truck put my 5th wheel towing limit at #10,600, and some of the specs from Fords website puts it at #10,400.

That being said, I was unsure of the variables of my trailer weight or kingpin weight. It will be empty, but I am unsure if the stated weight of #9850 included things such as the spare tire, televisions, battery, etc. I added in approximate weights and figure I'm at #9,950, so I think I'm good, after figuring the hitch weight, approximate fuel weight by the time I get there, me and my wife, I think I am under my limit. I just plan on taking it easy as I'm not a lead foot anyway.

We set up camp full-time with friends at Clearwater Lake Missouri, so we wont be moving it much.
Anyway, I hope to enjoy the site and everyones knowledge and experience here, and maybe share some of my experiences along the along the way.
JeffMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums, Jeff. Congratulations on your new-to-you trailer, too.

Is that 9,850 the stickered weight for your trailer? If so, it is most likely way different considering that its a 2003 and the previous owners(s) very well made mods to it.

Rather than guess, you could plan to take it to a CAT scale on your way home. Even if you do not plan to move it much once you have it on your permanent spot, you might move it someday and its good to know your weights.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - Weigh Your RV - Bridgestone

Good luck with the PDI and your first tow and good to have you here!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #3

Thanks Triguy, The PO says no mods, but....I'm always skeptical. I think I'm gonna hit the scale loaded up and full fuel tank on my way to pick it up, and then hitched up on the way back. Knowledge is power!
Old 04-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

JeffMc,

Congrats on the new rig. I have only pulled a 5th a few times and its a little daunting looking in the review mirror. Take it slow and things will be just fine.
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping

Hauling it the first time by mostly interstate will definetly boost your confidence quickly...no worries, have fun & enjoy your new toy!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

Welcome and congrats on your 03 Cardinal 312BH
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. Due to driving back during St. Louis rush hour, I skipped the CAT scales...they are three miles from my house so...easy access most of the time. Truck fully loaded with fuel, hitch and wife and I was just over #7200. Weighed it before I went. The truck witbout a doubt had more than enough pulling and stopping power. It did squat some but It didnt look or feel excessive. So today its time to clean the barn dust off of it and get familiar with everything!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
MI Camperz

Welcome. Post pics when you get a chance.
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

Attempt at some pictures. May have to resize.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cardinaloutside.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	28053  
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #10

First pic is from the seller. He wanted to keep the goose neck which was fine with me. Second is hitched up at sellers house. Ground was a little uneven as my drivers front was off the gravel drive, but it hitched up good. The new home in our driveway, and a shot of the bedroom and livingroom/entertainment center. Loved towing with the 5th wheel hitch. Hated the fuel mileage as the front of the camper is not very aerodynamic. But...i guess if fuel mileage was a big concern I wouldnt have a Superduty....I'd have a Focus. May add some more photos later.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Physician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMc View Post
Loved towing with the 5th wheel hitch.
Welcome JeffMc!
Yup, once you tow a 5er you'll never want to go back to a bumper pull. It's a much smoother and more controlled experience, assuming your weights are appropriate.
Have fun with your new rig!
Doc

SabreDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #12

Made an album so stop by and look if interested... Will have many more when we start using it somewhere other than the driveway!