Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #1

Hi, everyone, from Donut Center, CO

Just bought a 2007 Forest River Flagstaff FLT26FS. This is our first hard-sided camper. In the past, we had a Jayco pop-up and before that, we tried tents. We're gettin' too old to sleep on the ground or a thin mattress.

We had a few issues when we first got it home. There was a water filter under the floor that had a split canister. Flooded the bottom of the unit before I got the water off again. Bypassed that and found the fresh water valve on the toilet broken, sprayed all over the bathroom! Replaced the valve and an hour later, the hot water line spit itself out of the water heater. They were all easy fixes and the plumbing seems to be in perfect order now.

I'm also fighting an issue with the converter cutting out whenever we walk past it. I can get down and tap on the heat sink and cause the problem to come and go. I've had it out 3 or 4 times, looking for bad solder joints or other intermittent problems. Thought I had it a couple times, but the problem kept coming back. I found a new one online and it should be here tomorrow. Of course, as soon as I ordered the new one, the old one decided to work normally! Oh, well.

None of this is major, and repairs are something I can handle. I teach airplane maintenance for United Airlines, so mechanical and electrical issues don't bother me.

Took it on a maiden voyage to Mount Rushmore a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The trailer came fully equipped (dishes, silver, BBQ, hoses, vacuum cleaner, equalizing hitch - probably more but it's not important). Our pickup is a 3/4 ton Dodge with a 5.7 gas engine. It labors a little on steep grades (just need to slow down and use 2nd gear) but that equalizing hitch (also a sway-control unit) made towing this thing a breeze.

In a couple weeks, we're headed up to Salida, CO for a 4-day weekend, and in mid-September we're going to spend a few days on the back side of Pike's Peak (Mueller State Park).

That's about it.

DKListul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #2
2011 Forest River Stealth

Welcome from the central coast of California
rwtdct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your 2007 Forest River Flagstaff FLT26FS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

OK, I'll bite. Where---is your Donut Center, CO?
We are in SW CO with our new-to-us 2005 Flagstaff 22footer. Love the freedom, we went from 36 foot to 32 ft fifth wheel and now we can even make u-turns!
The water filter episode sounds familiar and was a wet surprise for us too.
Shortribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #5

Beautiful trailer. Congrats!
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Very nice trailer! Any and all answers can usually be found here. Don't be shy! If you experience a problem, no matter how small, ask, someone has experienced the same thing!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #7

Donut center. As in, "what's in the middle of a donut?"

I actually swiped it from a Bugs Bunny cartoon. The banner over Main Street said, "DONUT CENTER (what a hole)".

Seriously, we're pretty close to the center of Colorado, in south-central Elbert county. If you have a Colorado map, we're about equidistant from the little towns if Kiowa, Elbert and Calhan.

For us, camping is more like like spending time in the city, rather than getting away from it. We're 10 miles from the nearest blacktop road and our closest neighbor is a ranch about a mile west of our front door.

So why do we go camping?

Simple. To see new places and things.

I reach Boeing 787 maintenance for United Airlines and have seen most of this country, and quite a bit of the world, from 40,000 feet. I'm sick to death of airports, the anal exam I get from the TSA, and being stuck in an aluminum tube (OK, the 787 is plastic) for hours on end in a hard, narrow seat - with no legroom - for which I wouldn't spend $5 to buy for my house. There is so much of THIS country that I haven't seen closely and I want to change that. Retirement, I hope, is only about 8 years away (would have been 2 years ago at age 55 if United hadn't tossed out our pensions in bankruptcy a few years ago).
Old 07-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #8

Welcome to the ground! Familiar with your area and your delimma. Got relatives near you in Bennett. (Front Range Airport really.) We are down here in Cedaredge, CO. I really do suggest to folks,"Retire every chance you get." It has worked for us in a few careers! Enjoy the world up close and on your schedule.
Shortribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #9

I drive through Bennett twice a day on my way to and from work. I grew up in Elizabeth, CO, and back then (the early '70s) Bennett was one of our sports rivals. So I'm familiar with that town. Nice little place (or Big City, in my book).
Old 07-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #10

hidee ho neighbor

Hi!
Welcome from northern Az!
The Mrs. and I were just up in the Durango, Co area for a week on the maiden voyage of our new Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport. What a beautiful area! Looking forward to getting up there again next fall and spend more time poking around.
Happy Camping, we progressed from tents to a popup Aliner then an 18' Jayco Ultralite 197 and now our 25' FR.
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062013coloradovac 216a2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	36048  

2013 Forest River Surveyor SP220 Sport 25'
2012 Ram 1500 4X4, 5.7L Hemi quad cab
pt1655 is offline   Reply With Quote