Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Hi from Greensboro NC

Hi from a couple in Greensboro, NC. We are new to the RV/ camper world. After several years of tent camping (which only took me twenty years to get my wife to try), we recently purchased our first travel trailer, a Forest River Wolf Pup Limited 16FQ. Our TV is a Jeep Cherokee, V6, 4x4, with factory tow package (4,500 lb max).
After lots of research, visiting forums, lurking here quite a bit and finally visiting dealerships, the Wolf Pup seemed like a good fit. We take it out on its maiden voyage in two weeks, to a lake just south of Raleigh NC.
Because I have never towed anything and even though I have been practicing backing up, we chose a pull through site for the first time out
We have spent quite a bit of time prepping it, probably spending more money than we needed to, but we think it’s about ready.
The biggest mod I did was change out the manual jack to a power jack, a pretty easy job. I found an open box 19” TV at Best Buy for $55, which I just installed.
One question is, should I get some silicone and caulk around everything on the sides and roof, or is it not necessary?
Thanks for all of the great info on this site!
jcgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Welcome to the camper/RV world! You will always keep learning and this is a great place to learn. With backing take your time and use a spotter but make sure they understand you have to be able to see them. Shorter wheelbase trailers are actually harder to back than the longer trailers.

You going to Jordan Lake on your first voyage? If so they have water and 30 AMP hookups. We will be at Jordan Lake this weekend, it is only 30 minutes away from home.
Get some RV lap sealant from a camping dealer and clear Pro-Flex RV sealant just to have on hand.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #3

Welcome., we are also from Greensboro NC.. Hagan stone is a decent park for close by weekend camping! Easy to get to after work on a friday and short drive home on a Sunday.
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:13 PM   #4

Coolharts, yes to Jordan Lake. We are really looking forward to it.

Ron, thanks for the tip. Do they have power and water hookups? We would usually tent camp at Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain, but I believe they are strictly dry camping.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome from just up the road in Mebane! Congrats on your grey wolf. When I read your post, I was guessing Jordan lake. You may want to also check out Kerr Lake and Hyco Lake. If you want more amenities Crosswinds family campground is nice. I just hosted the Mayberry FROG rally at Mayberry Campground. If you haven't already, join FROG (forest river owners group). There are rallies all around the country! You can also check out our rallies forum for info on some of the rallies. Signing up early tends to be a must as they fill quickly.

As for caulking etc. It is a good idea to check all of that out now and reinforce anything that looks like it needs it. Then get on your roof to wash it and check it out at least 2-3 times/year. We wash the trailer 2 times a year and wax it 1-2 times a year. This helps keep the black streaks away. Hint, wash the roof first. Use LA's totally awesome on the roof. We used to use blue beacon to wash the trailer after doing the roof followed by meguiars ultimate quik spray wax. Now we have a foam cannon and use chemical guys honeydew snow foam cleanser followed by Chemical guys blazin banana spray wax natural carnauba spray gloss. The chemical guys does a much better job. We don't have to use compound as much on any baked on black streaks. They have a store in cary but are available on-line.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #6

Yes they have water and electric hookups
ronheater70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgso View Post
Coolharts, yes to Jordan Lake. We are really looking forward to it.

Ron, thanks for the tip. Do they have power and water hookups? We would usually tent camp at Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain, but I believe they are strictly dry camping.
Which Jordan lake campground will you be at? Different campgrounds have some different things. Group sites do not have hook ups. Most RV sites are 30 amp with water hook up. No 50 amp and no sewer.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #8

Jordan Lake has 2 campground in Poplar Point closed to upgrade the sites and to add 50 AMP. A few weeks ago we were on a pull through in Loop G, not a bad site and had access to the lake from the site.

NC is upgrading more State Parks with power and water. From Greensboro Stone Mountain is a easy drive, just north of Elkin. If you are in for a true adventure check out Arrowhead, a National campground at Badin. The road is rough going in but the sites are 50 AMP and paved.
2018 25 2019 25
Old 07-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #9

Well, now I am concerned because we are booked in Poplar Point the first weekend in August.
We are planning on going to Kerr Lake in September.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgso View Post
Hi from a couple in Greensboro, NC. We are new to the RV/ camper world. After several years of tent camping (which only took me twenty years to get my wife to try), we recently purchased our first travel trailer, a Forest River Wolf Pup Limited 16FQ. Our TV is a Jeep Cherokee, V6, 4x4, with factory tow package (4,500 lb max).
After lots of research, visiting forums, lurking here quite a bit and finally visiting dealerships, the Wolf Pup seemed like a good fit. We take it out on its maiden voyage in two weeks, to a lake just south of Raleigh NC.
Because I have never towed anything and even though I have been practicing backing up, we chose a pull through site for the first time out
We have spent quite a bit of time prepping it, probably spending more money than we needed to, but we think it’s about ready.
The biggest mod I did was change out the manual jack to a power jack, a pretty easy job. I found an open box 19” TV at Best Buy for $55, which I just installed.
One question is, should I get some silicone and caulk around everything on the sides and roof, or is it not necessary?
Thanks for all of the great info on this site!
If it's a new camper, it shouldn't be necessary but in any event, never ever use silicone. Nothing will stick to wherever you use it again. Most people, myself included, use Geocel ProFlex for vertical areas and Dicor self leveling sealant for horizontal areas.
RobH063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #11

Don't worry, the park is fine, Poplar Point is a huge area. Enjoy your trip. Take Highway 421 South to US 64 East in Siler City, in about 30 minutes you will cross the main causeway of the lake and come to a traffic light in Wilsonville, there are 2 gas stations and a small restaurant at the intersection. Take a right and in about 3/4 of a mile you will turn into Poplar Point.
2018 25 2019 25