Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #1

Hi from north FL / Still looking....

Hi,
We are a couple with 2 doggies still researching for our 1st camper. We are new to camping in general but had the desire to do it for the longest time. Don't think plain tent camping would be our style at this point and need to store the unit in our standard garage. Though a pop-up would be a good choice, and to pull with a Highlander or a Pathfinder.......... any thoughts??? HELP
Thanks
CampingDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #2

Hi CampingDogs,

How about the Aliner. It should fit in your garage and it has several different models/sizes. I like the Expedition.

Aliner - The original A-frame travel trailer

You could also consider the R-Pod but I'm not sure it will fit in your garage.

r-pod Travel Trailers by Forest River

Honor & Celebrate
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Welcome...my only advise, take your time and research a lot before you pick "the one"...Happy Future Camping!

Old 06-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
Wayne & Kim

Hello there! We too are from North Florida.

We did the tent camping thing for a little bit but the wife got over it pretty quickly. Part of the problem was we tried to make it as comfy as possible and thus packed so much stuff on truck that I'd spend hours loading, unloading and then setting up, and be exhausted and sore, only to sleep on a damp air mattress (sheets yes but condensation, heat) and then in the end spend similar time breaking camp.

The best advice I can give is to take your time while walking through the units you are considering so you can ftry to get a good feel for "living" in it. How much space u and the doggies will need to move around comfortably, amenities you would like, etc.

There are some units that will fit in a garage but unless your garage has high opening and ceilings, you may well be limited to a pop-up. If you have the option of storing it in yard, driveway, etc, by all means keep an open mind and look at the other types of RVs out there. Maybe a class B motor home (kind of a super custom van) might be an option as it might fit in garage.

And keep in mind what your tow vehicle is or will be. Don't get too much trailer for your truck or you will find yourself buying another truck then wanting and possibly getting a bigger RV after that - been there, done that!

Let me know if I can be of any other help; hopefully my advice has helped a little!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

Hi campingdogs,
Welcome to the forum from Bainbridge, Ohio. Have you ever been camping in a trailer before with friends or family? Have you considered renting a small camper or popup to make sure you will enjoy it before you go all in?
crunchman
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #6

I live in Central FL and my wife and I purchased an ultra lite TT earlier this year. Initially, we were set on a pop-up. We went to a big RV show in Tampa and we walked into the pop-ups and we walked into the TT, and the temperature difference was significant. It was a relatively cool day outside, yet the pop-ups were very warm inside. Meanwhile, the inside of the TT's were very cool, significantly cooler than the pop-ups. We were seeking a unit to replace tent camping, mainly because of the A/C. I imagine pop-up camping in FL during the summer would be a little less comfortable than a TT, no to mention the noise element, too. We are very happy with our little TT. We tow it very slowly and very carefully with a Dodge Grand Caravan. Make sure you get out and see some different styles. Pop-ups, hybrids, TT's, etc. But, most of all... good luck with your selection and safe travels!
Nights Out YTD - 17 (6 Trips)
Travel Companions - DW, DS (5) & DS (1)
VicD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:04 AM   #7

Thanks! This is the friendliest forum ... We will research quite a bit as we have several yrs before retirement still. Great suggestions from all. We were kinda' afraid (well I am) of pop-ups because although we love camping, I guess at a time I need some creature comforts (and my husband although he wont admit it) and wouldn't want to spend 30-45 min setting up a camper and then again to unload the whole thing. I read Aliners are quite difficult and need a lot of maintenance......Yet I do want something smaller than a huge motorhome, something under 5000 to tow. My HOA wont allow RV parking (for now at least) although if this changes in several years the story is different. As space... I guess the smaller would be like a 17.... the dogs are small shelter dogs but now are spoiiiiled the more space the merrier for them LOL, although I would get an attached covered screen tent for the outside so we can all have outdoor space.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #8

Gentle suggestion (especially since you sound like this is something you are going to do in retirement which, for most of us at least, means you are 50+ )

Forget about what you are going to tow the rig with, don't worry about your HOA--these all have easy solutions.

Instead, go RV shopping for what will work for you, your DH (dear husband--that's RV slang By the way ) and your doggies.

For retirees, I can almost guarantee anything less than a TT (more RV slang - travel trailer) will not do simply because of ease of setup and maintenance.

After you select your unit here are potential fixes for the TV (mo' slang - tow vehicle) and the HOA:

Buy a new TV to match your RV--some of the ultraliteweight RVs can be pulled by F150 class trucks...ours for example and IMHO it is a rolling palace

Lots of forum members have HOAs and the solution is to park your RV at a storage facility. Or, if you have the land available, build a RV-specific garage addition.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums from Huntsville, AL!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Wayne & Kim

Our HOA is the same way - we have to store ours in a storage yard but it's fenced, managers live on site, electricity within reach, and within a mile or so drive of home. We don't even bring ours home to pack/unpack any more - keep it mostly stocked and take a few items with us, especially cold stuff.

Oh yeah, what is your tow vehicle? Do research on your own on what your vehicle is rated to tow. Some dealerships will not tell you that you might be overweight given your truck. We started with our Chevy Avalanche and it felt like the travel trailer we had (like 7,000 lbs dry weight) was pulling us at times...come to find out we shoulda stayed under 6,000 or so. We are technically over with our 5th wheel now (added leaf springs to the F250 so it is almost like a SRW F350 now) but pulls like a dream - no white knuckling!

You will fin that this forum is a great resource tool - lots of great info and the best people, many of whom will go to lengths to help you with your specific questions or problems. And you will find that many questions already have been asked and answered too! The forum is addictive though - I can't seem to get enough of it!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 06-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Gentle suggestion (especially since you sound like this is something you are going to do in retirement which, for most of us at least, means you are 50+ )

Forget about what you are going to tow the rig with, don't worry about your HOA--these all have easy solutions.

Instead, go RV shopping for what will work for you, your DH (dear husband--that's RV slang By the way ) and your doggies.

For retirees, I can almost guarantee anything less than a TT (more RV slang - travel trailer) will not do simply because of ease of setup and maintenance.

After you select your unit here are potential fixes for the TV (mo' slang - tow vehicle) and the HOA:

Buy a new TV to match your RV--some of the ultraliteweight RVs can be pulled by F150 class trucks...ours for example and IMHO it is a rolling palace

Lots of forum members have HOAs and the solution is to park your RV at a storage facility. Or, if you have the land available, build a RV-specific garage addition.

Hope this helps and welcome to the forums from Huntsville, AL!
X2 - very well said. I'm under 50 but echo these sentiments!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 06-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #11

That is true, we should look for what we like after all we've been working soooo long for it. You are right about the TV, specially since we don't have that either. LOVED the RV slang, have to teach my DH ... And yes we are looking for quiet, peace, nature, relaxation.... not hours setting up camp......... Thank y'all and this IS kinda' addictive.... Going for our first dealer tour the week of July 4th lets see how it goes ... so exciting!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:09 AM   #12

One more question.... Their POP UP "Exterior closed length" advertised on their website includes the frame???? Or its just the box.
Thanks again
Old 06-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #13

Welcome! We too are new to the RV world.....so far we love it! We went looking for a used C and came home with a new 21' TT. We have a Nissan Xterra which was rated for our TT but soon found that a long wheel base TV makes all the difference in the world! I think in a couple of years we will still upgrade to a C but right now the one we have is working. We go to Flyball tournament's with our dogs and the size is just about right!

CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #14
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingDogs View Post
Going for our first dealer tour the week of July 4th lets see how it goes ... so exciting!

Not sure how far you are from Tampa, but this may be worth your time to see several models in one place:

Florida RV Summer SuperShow
June 19 - 22, 2014
Florida State Fairgrounds
4800 US Highway 301 North
Tampa, FL 33610
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingDogs View Post
One more question.... Their POP UP "Exterior closed length" advertised on their website includes the frame???? Or its just the box.
Thanks again
I can't say for sure but I suspect that it is just the box. The 30' TT we had was another 4' of open trailer tongue.

I too would strongly suggest going to the RV show in Tampa next week so you can get a good feel of all that is out there. You could also hit Lazy Days of Tampa (actually in Seffner, near I-4 & I-75 junction). I dealt with Curtis Suchan, tell him I (Wayne White) sent ya !

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 06-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #16
Site Team

you are putting a lot of limitations to your choices.

two adults and two dogs, pulled by a v-6 SUV, to fit in a garage.

just to fit a garage limits you to a popup, A-frame or egg-shaped fiberglass trailer.
all of these will be very limited in floorspace for the 4 of you.

by the way, FR makes a very popular line of A-frames that have become big challengers to the Chalet and A-liner trailers, by offering more for less money.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
Site Team

Welcome and happy hunting. The thrill Is in the chase so enjoy it. Take written notes. Compare to list of wants and needs. You'll find the 1.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #18

Thanks! You are right even the search isf fun and we do seem to be changing our wants as we go😊