Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Hi From North Florida

We placed a deposit on a 2006 Rockwood 8280SS yesterday, supposed to pick it up Friday. We have been taking a slow approach in our quest to find the "Right" 5ver. We decided about 6 weeks ago that we wanted to get one. Our first problem was the tow vehicle. I had a older Silverado 1500 which would not do the job so while looking at 5vers we also were looking for a new truck. About 2 weeks ago I found a 2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab with a 7.3 PS in great condition which I bought. Yesterday we went to Jacksonville to look at a 2001 Cougar that a PO owner had for sale to be nice to the person it wasn't what we thought it would be. We stopped at a dealer and told him our general requirements. He showed us about 10 units and we kept going back to the 8280SS and I couldn't believe the price. We checked it out pretty thoroughly and it is in great shape for a 2006 compared to other units we have looked at that had much higher price tags. I know with my new to me puller I could have gone to a bigger unit but, for the most part it will just be me and the Wife and this will be perfect for us. I do have slight problem/question I don't have a hitch in the truck yet (didn't plan on buying anything yet) and was looking for recommendations on what hitch I really need. My truck has a shortbed do I really need a slider? Also is one brand better than another? I have friend that said he has mounted them before and that was my plan but I need this installed before Friday and not sure he has the time to do it before then. The dealer wanted $1500 to install a Curt 16k slider which I thought was a little high.

RIck
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Glad to have you on the forum. Where are you based? We travel to Orlando & Peace River (Wauchula) Thousand Trails CGs every Dec thru Feb/Mar. Love the winters most of the time.

If the trailer does not have the Reese Sidewinder hitch pin, you will need a slider. You might be able to get the dealer to install the Sidewinder and then you can use a standard non-sliding hitch which I personally like because it eliminates the banging when stopping and starting. Just my opionion.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Glad to have you on the forum. Where are you based? We travel to Orlando & Peace River (Wauchula) Thousand Trails CGs every Dec thru Feb/Mar. Love the winters most of the time.

If the trailer does not have the Reese Sidewinder hitch pin, you will need a slider. You might be able to get the dealer to install the Sidewinder and then you can use a standard non-sliding hitch which I personally like because it eliminates the banging when stopping and starting. Just my opionion.
Thanks for the welcome. I am located in a small town called Fort White about 25 miles NW of Gainesville. All this hitch stuff is new to me is a Sidewinder a hitch pin that extends past the front of the trailer? I have a picture showing the front not sure if this forum allows posting of pictures though. I just don't want to mess and waste money for something I would be fine without. Nevermind I just googled Sidewinder and it doesn't have one of those.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

You can post up to 5 pics at a time on any reply. Scroll down and you will find a box with Manage Attachments, click and then follow the instructions. Pictures are more than welcome, in fact, encouraged.

As I said, maybe you can get the dealer to throw one in or at least give you a big discount on it. Worth a try!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

I doubt it he said he could not on the price of the receiver because it was part of the service department. Anyway here is a picture of the front of the trailer.