Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #1

Hi - new XLR Owner

Hi;
I just bought a new 28 ft tow behind XLR. I thought it was scary when I went outside from the showroom and saw it hooked up to my truck for the first time. My truck was SMALL!! I thought "What the heck did you do this time?"

I had to tow it over the Rockies from Calgary to Kelowna in a snow storm, and found out how much fun it is when there is snow and ice on the road, your front end is too light (hitch wasn't adjusted properly), and the trailer weighs as much as your truck. I don't think I've ever been so frightened in my life. It seemed like it took forever to get home, but I finally made it without incident.

But now that it's in my driveway, I can't wait for spring. I'm already planning the storage of all of our stuff, and figuring out what changes to make to "custom fit" it to the way the Boss likes things.

I'm looking forward to learning all kinds of things from those of you who have years and years of experience.
Quadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadder View Post
Hi;
I just bought a new 28 ft tow behind XLR. I thought it was scary when I went outside from the showroom and saw it hooked up to my truck for the first time. My truck was SMALL!! I thought "What the heck did you do this time?"

I had to tow it over the Rockies from Calgary to Kelowna in a snow storm, and found out how much fun it is when there is snow and ice on the road, your front end is too light (hitch wasn't adjusted properly), and the trailer weighs as much as your truck. I don't think I've ever been so frightened in my life. It seemed like it took forever to get home, but I finally made it without incident.

But now that it's in my driveway, I can't wait for spring. I'm already planning the storage of all of our stuff, and figuring out what changes to make to "custom fit" it to the way the Boss likes things.

I'm looking forward to learning all kinds of things from those of you who have years and years of experience.
to the FRF, yes I know how you fell the first time towing. Glad you made it home safely. Enjoy your new rig and by all means if you have any question please ask, everyone on this Forum is always happy to help.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Welcome to the forum. Wait until you try to back it up into a narrow site!

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadder View Post
Hi;
I had the same thoughts when I picked up my Surveyor 263. That puppy had grown big time since I 1st looked at it.

Welcome to the forum.

Chap
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Site Team

Nothing changes your perspective like seeing it hooked to the TV for the first time. Welcome to FRF and glad you made the first trip without incident.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #6

Welcome fellow XLR owner.

We prefer to call our '09 XLR by its original name-
All American- as it was the original graphics that initially drew us to the trailer, the factory custom applied the original eagles and flags to our '09 28XT.

We are in Western NY around Buffalo and drove to Michigan about an hour north of the factory to purchase and pick up our unit.

We have made many mods to ours since picking it up in April. We found that the cabinets were not exactly convenient for access and added doors and a shelf to take better advantage of the hard to reach spaces and to add a second level for storage. Through the factor parts department we were able to get matched doors for the living space and in the garage we picked up white shelf board from Home Depot for a second door on the left side cabinet.

I added other storage in the garage and hung the ladder from the cieling in the garage.

You may have the opportunity to get to know Scott Haney at the warranty department. Unfortunately we have had several/numerous warranty issues. Scott is very helpful and responsive to e-mails and messages. Until they closed the store we also had great luck with the local Camping World eventhough we did not purchase the trailer from them.

Our toys are two Bombardier 400 Outlanders ATV's and we do a lot of traveling to ride since NY is not even lcose to being ATV friendly.

I have weighed our tow vehicle and 80% loaded camper and they are heavy-total over 20,000 lbs making the camper about 12,500 lbs (about 2,500 lbs over the vehicle rating). We tow with a 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel with 273,000 miles on it. I use a Hypertech tuner (added 100 hp and 160 lbft of torque), cetane booster and I just put a Jasper Monster Box Transmission in this past August, at 60 mph I get about 9 to 10 mpg. I added air bags to assist the back springs and shocks, and use an Equalizer weight distribution hitch. With that set-up some hills can slow us down a bit. I am not sure anything less than a diesel is enough to tow these things with any confidence.

If you would like to see photos of the upgrades I can provide those, in fact I have been meaning to post them to this site when I have time.

Good luck and enjoy.

Greg
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
Avid outdoorsman

Quadder
Did you get a winter package on it as well. Other than a few drafty areas I have to take care of we are still using ours occasionally if the snow stays away. I dont want to find out what mine tows like in the snow as I have a good idea it will stain me drawers if I try.LOL
dahmmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #8

Welcome from another Canadian. I have a forerunner to your XLR, a Canadian Sport. And yes they do look long when you get them hooked up, I am just shy of 85 feet with the Jeep hooked up.. That was quite the snowstorm to be towing in, glad you diden't have any problems. We do a lot of camping and quading in Crowsnest Pass, right on the Alberta BC border. If you ever see the rig, stop by for a cold one.

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:50 PM   #9

We did get the winter package with heated tanks and extra insulation. We stopped using the camper in early October so that my wife could have hand surgery so it was not cold enough to need the heaters.

A little advice: if you have the fueling station with the exposed switch weatherproof/enclose/use dielectric grease, the back of the switch or you could end up with corrsion on the terminals and no way to get the fuel out, also make sure to turn off the pump each time, bouble click the switch to the right, or the pump will continue to run and possibly burn out, there is no timmer in the circuit.

Also watch the tires, i had one blow and did not even know it until I stopped and someone ran up and told me. I then upgraded to load range G from E, the factory covered one tire I paid for the rest. If you need three new Load Range E tires on the aluminum rims I will be selling them, the factory took the forth back as proof of the failure so they could agrue with the tire supplier.

I can provide a few other hints in later discussions. Right now I have to go to a meeting.

Greg
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote