Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #1

Hi there!

Hi everyone!

I'm a new member, and I want to introduce myself.

I live in the thumb area of Michigan (beautiful camping), and I just purchased a Surveyor 233T. We're picking it up next week.

We're coming from an old 95 Coleman popup, a small 10 foot (?) box which was a breeze to tow with our Honda Odyssey.

I'm a little leery about towing our new 233T, after pulling a popup for 3 years. I was never real great at backing up our popup, and I'm a bit spooked about backing up our TT. The popup was the first thing I ever towed. Our tow vehicle is a Honda Ridgeline.

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts on how it is going from a similarly sized popup to a similarly sized TT? Is backing up actually easier?

Anyway, we're good to go for pickup next week, and I'm ready to camp this season!!
3DCadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #2

Welcome to the Forest River forums. We are glad you found us.

You will find that backing the travel trailer will be much easier than the pop up. The trailer will not turn as fast when you start to back up than the pop up will. You will have much more control over where you want it to go. The pop-up is like my utility trailer. A small change in the direction of the tow vehicle and the thing will jackknife on you. A small change in direction with the travel trailer will be much less pronounced and you can easily guide it where you want to.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Welcome! neat nickname by the way. I agree with Kim, it should be a much easier exercise than a twitchy single-axle popup. But practice is the only thing that will give you comfort and confidence backing into a lot. I'd recommend hitting a parking lot on a nice quiet Sunday with a set of cones and have some fun with the trailer. I think you'll find it becomes as comfortable as parallel parking with a bit of practice. One other hint... try putting your left hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and lean around so you can look out your back window. With that Ridgeline you'll have a great field of view and you should find that turning the wheel in the direction you need is much more logical when you hold it at the bottom. When you want the trailer to turn right, you move your hand right.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #4

Howdy
Welcome aboard

about backing, we practiced in a parking lot, when all the stores were closed.
wife put out cones and directions , i just followed along like a good husband
Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #5

Thanks everyone!

I've been "google-ing" all night for tips, most of them saying the same thing.

It's good to know that the Surveyor will actually be easier to backup than the popup. I didn't think of that.

I also found another thread post on this website (I forget the author) who very specifically outlined a way to do it step by step. That was very helpful.

I'm sure that I'll be back here much more after we trek out for the first time.

Thanks again.

BTW, "3DCadman" means I'm a CAD (computer aided design) software user/administrator, specializing in Solidworks software. If anyone cares
Old 03-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I kinda figured that. Years ago, I was offered a job training on what was then called 'numerical control cutting' which was taking blueprint data and inputting into a computer that would control plasma cutting of components in building naval frigates. It was the precurser to CNC and CAD, and I've always stayed fascinated by it. Turned down the job though.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #7

Hi and welcome to the forum! I too went from a coleman pop up that was sort of difficult to back up to a travel trailer. It is a breeze to back up compared to the pop up! However towing this 30 footer with my 1500 ram hemi is another story completely.... MUCH different - to say the least!
Randy and again WELCOME!!
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote