Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Howdy From Ms.

WE are also brand new to camping in our new 2012 Salem. Need to learn all there is to cleaning, driving, campsites. First off we cleared a place to store our tt. Will be putting a storage building up for protection. Any tips we would appreciate. I've been going through this site, very informative. Our first trip will be a short one, trying to get use to hauling tt. We have a f150 with a trailer toe pkg. and sway bars, but was still very hard to drive!
newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome. Hope you get used to driving it. Might want to make sure the hitch is set up correctly, can find instructions on line for most hitches. If you have never towed anything, takes a while to get used to, but is a lot of fun.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

Smile

We left the dealership so they should have put on right. The more we drove it the better it felt. Ya I think the more we drive the better it will feel.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The dealer are notorious for not taking the time to set up a WDH correctly. Many member here (me included) have had to readjust their hitches for optimum performance.

BTW.....

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Hi hi,

Congrats on your new Salem. Having a Salem unit myself I think you have great taste! So which Salem do you have?

When you said it was hard to tow what exactly do you mean? There's a learning curve but with a little practice you will master it. I take corners slower and when possible a little wider.

Taking your first trip close to home is a good idea too. You can also do a little of driveway camping before hitting the road for the maiden voyage.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

We have a 27rkss Godiva. Very roomy with a queen size bed and large kitchen. It can sleep 6 folks and my be 8 with a mattress on floor. My husband is the driver he said the tt drove much better before he got home. I guess it just takes time gettin use to driving. Were in the process of hooking electricity, its located a few hundred ft. from house. So much to get before we go camping!