Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2017, 02:01 AM   #1

Howdy from Texas!

Howdy everyone.

I was working my googlefoo when this forum came up so I decided to join. We’re thinking about purchasing an Avenger 31RKB to live in full time since our house was destroyed during Harvey. This will be our first travel trailer of any kind so we are completely new to this. The plan is to build a covered carport to keep it out of the weather, especially the south Texas summer sun. Beyond that we’re not sure what to expect so any tips and/or advice would be greatly appreciated
KenK82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:43 AM   #2
Multi-Slacker

from Southern California! Best tip I can give your right now is to read every thread you can.

Are you sure you have enough truck to pull it or is the dealer going to deliver it? Are you parking it where there is sewer, water and power? Any chance you will travel in it? Lots of questions - need more info
Old 12-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #3
"On the road again"

Welcome to the forum...from North Texas (just west of Fort Worth). Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have family further south in Rockport and Corpus Christi that had serious damage too.

Best advice I can do is do some traveling, relax and have fun when you get your unit.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #4

Welcome from SW Ohio ,good luck in your TT quest .
Old 12-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
from Southern California! Best tip I can give your right now is to read every thread you can.

Are you sure you have enough truck to pull it or is the dealer going to deliver it? Are you parking it where there is sewer, water and power? Any chance you will travel in it? Lots of questions - need more info
I have a 96’ Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 with air bags that’s making around 450HP so towing it isn’t an issue.

Power, water, and sewer are ready to go on our property.

We plan do some traveling in it later on but for now it’s just going stay parked.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
Welcome to the forum...from North Texas (just west of Fort Worth). Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I have family further south in Rockport and Corpus Christi that had serious damage too.

Best advice I can do is do some traveling, relax and have fun when you get your unit.
Rockport really got it bad. The whole situation was just awful for so many along the Texas gulf coast. A friend of mine from the Liberty Tx area lost his home, two trucks, and his shop. The water just came up too fast to do anything. He also isn’t in a flood plane and was told he wouldn’t flood.

We want to travel later on but right now we just want to get back home. We have been living about 30 minutes from our property for the last few months and are ready to be back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	552F7BA9-B539-43F2-AB62-60E6DD880B46.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	158023  
Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find it as helpful as I have.
I got lucky, I'm just south of Harvey's ground zero and missed the worst of it, many of my friends and colleagues weren't as fortunate.
One of the reasons I bought my Rockwood was as a bug-out vehicle in case a storm threatened, also as a place to live should my home get damaged. We did pack up and head east before Harvey, it was a good move as my family was much more comfortable than those who stayed behind and dealt with no power for days.
This is a wonderful forum and you'll find some great info inside.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK82 View Post
I have a 96’ Dodge Ram 2500 diesel 4x4 with air bags that’s making around 450HP so towing it isn’t an issue.

Power, water, and sewer are ready to go on our property.

We plan do some traveling in it later on but for now it’s just going stay parked.
Nice setup. Welcome aboard!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your misfortune!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBo View Post
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find it as helpful as I have.
I got lucky, I'm just south of Harvey's ground zero and missed the worst of it, many of my friends and colleagues weren't as fortunate.
One of the reasons I bought my Rockwood was as a bug-out vehicle in case a storm threatened, also as a place to live should my home get damaged. We did pack up and head east before Harvey, it was a good move as my family was much more comfortable than those who stayed behind and dealt with no power for days.
This is a wonderful forum and you'll find some great info inside.
We only had 45mph winds so it wasn’t bad at all. The massive flooding is what got everyone around here. I’m glad to hear that you and yours made it through ok, I wouldn’t wish this crap on anyone.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Nice setup. Welcome aboard!
Thanks! The trailer will be a lot nicer than the tow rig lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9551385E-860C-4D0B-8744-B8179B04376A.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	158081