Old 07-23-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
Howdy From Texas Y'all

Wife and I picked up our new Forest River Hyper Lite XLR 29 HFS Toy Hauler about a month ago. We have had it out three times on shakedowns. Itís been an adventure to say the least.
We did not purchase our trailer local we purchased four hours from home. We actually purchased it in the area of Texas we like to go RVíing. We picked it up on a Saturday the last thing I looked at before heading home was the roof, to my surprise the EDPM roof LAP sealant had bubbles in it in places. About a quarter of the TV antenna mounting plate had no sealant at all. The dealer offered to seal it but it was decide it might not be wise because we had a 200 mile return trip. Not a problem I volunteered to fix it when I got home, so the dealer gave me a tube of Dicor Lap sealant and off we went.
On our first outing we got a surprise when we flushed the black water tank, water started pouring out the side of the trailer. Tracked it down to a cross threaded pipe connector on the back side of the feed thru on the side of the trailer. All the plumbing fittings we can reach to check were loose as a goose.
The second trip with grandchildren we quickly found out there was not enough hot water. This turned out to be a hidden hot water heater bypass valve, which was open hot to cold.
The trailer has a number of other smaller issues which are expected on a new trailer. Luckily we are not new to RVíing so we had some knowledge of what to do. Donít get me wrong we love the trailers look, size, layout and furnishings. It pulls fantastic behind our 2014 4x4 Silverado. I am tickled pink to be able and load up my Harley and a four wheeler and to the coast we go. By the way someone put some thought in engineering the trailer in respect of it ease of towing. It pulls about the same empty as it does with 1,200 lbs. of equipment in the back.
I would like to hear from other Hyper Lite XLR 29HFS toy haulers about their air conditioners performance. Ours has a 15,000 BTU Duo Therm Brisk II AC unit with ducted air. The trailer definitely has an air flow problem out of the roof plenum discharge registers. The performance of the AC versus trailer heat load is terrible. Not much fun setting in a trailer thatís 82-85 degrees with little free air flow.
Anyway glad to be on board, hope to get my trailer up to snuff so we can head to the beach and have a cool time in the summer sun and fun on the beautiful Texas coast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small loaded trailer.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	83931  

2014 Silverado Z-71 4X4
2015 Hyper Lite XLR 29HFS
Wirelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Welcome from the beautiful (and hot) Texas coast.

2012 F250 6.2 gasser 373 rear
2013 Rockwood 2104S Mini Lite
Ole Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
Welcome from Arlington, Tx.
Have fun.

MK Clark
2014 Silverado
2015 2819VS Windjammer
MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Site Team
Nice. Being a handy man is almost a requirement of owing an RV. Glad you're enjoying it. Welcome from Natchitoches LA.
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Howdy from the Fort Worth/Dallass area!

On each of the two shakedown cruises we've found a few problems. the BIGGEST problem has been getting our selling dealer (Fun Town RV in Cleburne) to resolve the problems. To the point of not returning calls or phone messages.
Certified JB Welder. Certified 3M Duct Tape installer.
Certified Farmer's Co-Op bailing wire expert. Graduate of the "Rock on the side of the Trail as a Hammer" school of motorcycle repair.
Getting old is just a matter of narrowly missing all the things that kill you.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Welcome from Seattle! We're loading up out XLR Nitro with the Goldwing today and taking it for a long 10 day drag to Yellowstone area!

2015 36DBK5
2015 Chevy 3500 dually
Ninemmsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Welcome to the forum. Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
Welcome from Georgia.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2015 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
"Just living the dream"
Welcome from Ontario, Canada....
Chunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
Welcome from Arkansas. My wife and just picked up a Hyper Lite 30 HDS. We have only spent one nite in it and I have noticed the same thing with our A/C. We also have the 15K unit and seem to have very little air flow out the vents. Other than that we really like ours so far.

Interested to hear opinions on this matter.

2016 Hyper Lite XLR 30HDS
Hedrock is offline   Reply With Quote