Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Howdy Y'all from Central Texas

We just joined up with the Forest River family by trading our Nu-Wa Hitchhiker II for a new FR Salem 286RLT Hemisphere 5th wheel. We love it so far - nicely appointed and laid out. Our RV came from Fun Town near Waco, and we will have to make a return visit for a few 'warts' we discovered during our first camping trip to Canyon of the Eagles on lake Buchanan. Oh well, no big deal. Into each life some rain must fall . . .

Can someone answer a question for me. Our old 5er had a switch in the kitchen area to turn the Hot Water Heater 120v on or off - had a light when it was on. Very convenient, especially when using several appliances on 30 amps in and you had to shut down something to avoid circuit breaker tripping. Our new unit only seems to have the power on/off switch outside in the water heater compartment? What? Am I missing something? Why design it like this. You are running a risk if you leave it on and the tank goes empty for some reason. Just wondering . . .

Thanks for listening. Glad to be on board - this looks like a good forum.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #2

Our 2015 Flagstaff 8528IKWS only has the switch outside. Yes, it would be nice to have the switch inside. I guess we are stuck with it like it is. Maybe FR will see our complaint and build the new ones different.

98 days camping 2017
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

Welcome from the east side y'all. Enjoy the forum, and see ya around.
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

Welcome to the forum. It depends on the make of water heater that they use apparently. I have a tt and it is a two way hwh gas/electric. Enjoy your new 5er. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #5

We just purchased from Fun Town in Cleburn but live 2 miles from the Waco facility. Anyway, our 2nd switch on our New Sabre is in the same area as the slide/awning switches. The water pump, the gas and electric water heater switches are all in the same area on ours. Our old 5er was from the "other" company and we left the electric switch on down on the water heater and just used the circuit breaker to turn it off and on from the inside. Just gotta remember is all, and that becomes a challenge as we all get older!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #6

We saw one we liked in the Cleburn store, but then found this Hemisphere in Hewitt. There are two switches in our panel, one is water pump and other is labeled 'Water Heater', with top position marked DSI and lower position is marked FLT. Not sure what the lower FLT means. I think the upper position marked DSI is for Gas (ignition).
Old 09-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

Welcome from the little village of Willow Park, TX!

Hope you have better luck with the Cleburne Fun Town.
panthercity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #8

Welcome from Mexia. We got ours from Cleburne as well. Haven't had any problems with them. Didn't care for the service we got from the one in Hewitt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #9

Well rowdydog77, we are still happy customers but it is going on 2 months - numerous phone calls, emails and follow-up, but no appointment to get our issues fixed yet. I'm getting concerned about their service (or lack thereof).
Hope all is worked out soon.

Traveling the highways & bi-ways . . .
with our girls, the maltese pups .
Happy Trails
2Vals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #10

I have had my Sabre there (Fun Town Cleburne) 1 time due to Air Conditioner problems (new 15k air installed) and an LED light not working. I was in and and out in 3 hours, all repaired. 1 or 2 phone calls and the appointment was set up. Pulled it up the 100 miles, dropped it off, and picked it up same day. I cannot say anything negative about the service and how it was handled. The service people were prompt, kind and very easy to deal. I did work out the appointment to where, according to the service agent, was a slower day and it was within a week of first contact! The Hewitt location, well let just say, I will drive 100 miles rather than 2 miles to get the service done. That was an experience I can only describe in private or PM.