Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #1

I guess I'm the "new kid"

Hello from California!!! We've had our Georgetown class A for a little over a year now .
Last summer I decided to initiate myself and drive over scenic highway 1 on California coast. What an adventure!! A beautiful drive and a good confidence booster!
This summer we are going to get a little more gutsy and actually travel "out" of California, LOL.
Some things I'm interested in learning about in these forums are GPS systems ( which are good?), I hope to not get lost or end up on roads that cannot accommodate me in the 35 ft motorhome, which highways are easiest and about campgrounds.
Also... Does everyone with a motorhome "tow"? Or rent cars at arrivals? Thus far I am
Afraid to tow.... Then I waiver over tow bars or car Dollys or car trailers....
Anyhooo, I am excited to be here!!!
-Aunti M
Aunti-Mgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hello and welcome to the forum!
Great people with tons of knowledge on the forum!

Have fun and hang around!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #3

Hey thanks!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats on driving hwy 1! That's a road not for the weak of heart! Beautiful drive though!

Welcome to the forum!

Where are you all going to venture out of Cali to?

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. Can't help on the GPS much since I'm using an old Garmin and haven't researched any of the others that are out that cater to RV's. Before going to our current rig, which is a fifth wheel, we towed a Honda CRV behind our class C. You'd be surprised how easy the car tows behind you and how nice it is to have the extra transportation once you reach your destination. We decided, because our car was certified by Honda to do so, to tow with all 4 wheels down. This seemed the easier way to go since we didn't have to worry about where to park a trailer or dolly once we got to our spot. One thing about towing 4 down is you can't really back up without binding the tow bar so if you get stuck and have to back out you'd need to disconnect the car. I wouldn't worry about it much as it never happened in the 3 years we ran that setup. Anyway, if you've got a car that is already towable, I'd go for it.

PM me if you've got more questions about towing 4 down and what we did to accomplish this.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #6

Nice to know ya, DnD!

Have a few more coast trips planned for spring, early summer and then in July we are headed to Mount Rushmore!! My sons are soooo excited! Have you been there?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

Hey thanks, J !!

I will pm you as soon as I figure out how!
I do have a Honda fit, I think those can tow. Does it cause extra wear n tear on your vehicle tho? And in your state do you need the break control box?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunti-Mgeorge View Post
Nice to know ya, DnD!

Have a few more coast trips planned for spring, early summer and then in July we are headed to Mount Rushmore!! My sons are soooo excited! Have you been there?
Not yet but it's on our bucket list!

This next summer we are hoping to get a few SoCal trips in tho.

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #9

There is some wear and tear on the car, mostly tires, but the transmission runs in neutral and no miles are recorded on the odometer. I live in Oregon and it requires that the vehicle being towed have braking and I honestly wouldn't tow without it since it really took the pressure off the coach brakes, especially through the mountains. We used a brake buddy system which was easy to setup.

A brief Bing search seemed to indicate your safe towing 4 down but confirm that in your manual.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Site Team

Hello from SoCal!

I'm in agreement about highway 1 being very beautiful but gusty in certain areas. I think you will do well traveling to other beautiful states outside of California.

You could always rent a car until you are ready to tow. Renting can be a good way to find out what doesn't fit your family needs. And from what everyone has mentioned on different RV forums towing a car is the way to go for most people.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Hello from SoCal!

I'm in agreement about highway 1 being very beautiful but gusty in certain areas. I think you will do well traveling to other beautiful states outside of California.

You could always rent a car until you are ready to tow. Renting can be a good way to find out what doesn't fit your family needs. And from what everyone has mentioned on different RV forums towing a car is the way to go for most people.

Thanks for the welcome, Terier!! We are practically neighbors !!!