Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #1

I think I can. I think I can....

Just purchased a Rockwood mini lite. Girl trailer.....small enough I can do this by myself. Smart, but not strong. I have too many girlfriends who have large travel trailers, but feel they can't use them without their husband. I don't want to be limited to having to have someone with me. My husband supports emotionally and watches me as I figure things out. So far it's really been very doable. I'm reading lots of posts and watching lots of YouTube videos. Looking forward to gleaning more tips from others.
Schantile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #2
Always Learning

You can totally do it! My wife is able to take care of all aspects of travel with and without me. We work well as a team, but I totally know she could hitch up and roll out if she wanted to!
Old 04-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

Welcome from SW Ohio ,enjoy your RW Mini Lite TT !
Old 04-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

That's the spirit. Educate yourself on how and it's not so scary. Theirs nothing you can't manage. There are plenty of older folks out here using RVs that don't exactly have the strength of Hercules!

A checklist for arrival and departure of the order to do things is a great idea until it gets to be old hat. The other thing is it helps you NOT to forget something important, like chocking the wheels, when you get interrupted or distracted by someone/thing.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
Multi-Slacker

You can! My wife has to do the all driving and all the TT's hookups and pretty much all the hitching. I get to ride along and provide moral support.

Welcome from SoCal!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #6

You absolutely can do it, and a Mini Lite is a great choice. My husband and I are... of a certain age and it was important to us to have a trailer that either of us could manage without help. Our Mini Lite 2109S has filled the bill admirably.

Enjoy your new toy and please keep us posted!
ekrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #7

You rock ! If I kick the bucket on the road, I'm gonna need one of you fine folks to come rescue the wife and get her back home safely.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schantile View Post
Just purchased a Rockwood mini lite. Girl trailer.....small enough I can do this by myself. Smart, but not strong. I have too many girlfriends who have large travel trailers, but feel they can't use them without their husband. I don't want to be limited to having to have someone with me. My husband supports emotionally and watches me as I figure things out. So far it's really been very doable. I'm reading lots of posts and watching lots of YouTube videos. Looking forward to gleaning more tips from others.
If you think you can, you will find a way to do it. When we had a popup my DW would tow it to the campground and set it up while I was at work. Only once did she have a problem and that was because it was pouring rain and it got dark earlier than it should have for that time of year. I don't know how familiar you are with rv systems but if you check out this thread, New to RV's helpful hints by wmtire, you will be ahead of the class. There is a lot to read but in the end you will probably be able to teach you girlfriends a few things.
Most fellow campers are friendly and will assist you if you have problems .

Go for it and have fun.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Welcome to the forum. If ya get stuck lots of knowledgeable folks here to give ya the help. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
RV There Yet?

Welcome from MN! My wife is fully capable of hitching, towing, setting up, tearing down, and getting us home. she loves the looks she gets pulling into the campground! There is no such thing as a "girls trailer". you are just as capable as any of us! go have fun!
Old 04-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #11

Welcome from a solo traveler/full time. I'd pulled horse trailers/stock trailers/pipe trailers/hay trailers...but never an RV until 3 years ago. The pulling part didn't bother me, but the RV systems were all new territory!
I'm more of a 'hands on' learner so was fortunate to have a friend come over and give me basic training in my driveway....that helped a lot! The day I left the property for good, I only went 40 miles and pulled into my very first RV park. Knew how to hook up water/electric and sat there with a big grin! You will do fine! Enjoy your travels.
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:59 PM   #12

i know you can - welcome to the forum and to all the joys of camping. My sister and i go off camping with our daughters, leaving the hubbies home all the time. I am also the one that does all the maintenance and upkeep on the camper while hubby gives moral support.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #13

No doubt you can do it. ALL the info you need is available on this site. I just started camping 5 yrs ago, never camped before but always wanted to. The people on this site helped tremendously , really got my confidence up. So if a old man can do it so can you. I usually camp by myself and I like it. The campgrounds I camp at are always helpful. Once you have a couple of solo trips under your belt you are a pro ( not really ) just don't be to hard on yourself about the few mistakes you WILL make, just laugh them off and move on. Half the adventure is just getting there getting set up. Just do not get in a rush. Usually no attitudes at campgrounds, campers are there to relax and chill. Just enjoy yourself.. There are a lot of friends out there you have not met yet. ENJOY
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:32 PM   #14

Our first week in the new rv it rained every day literally.

Actually good. We practiced everything including winterization. No stress. Good food and gin.

Under pressure you make mistakes.

Keep thinking, life in the slow lane.

The DW and I have a set up tear down system. Helping each other is counterproductive.

Everything gets easier every day. We set up on a travel night in POURING rain. Sheet flow on the roads. Entire park had an inch of water everywhere. Less than 5 minutes. We have a short stay procedure. No sewer or water. Just electricity. No truck disconnect. Wife levels manually. Easy.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #15

You absolutely can do it. My wife would hook-up our 5th when we had one, driving the manual trans diesel Ford, then drive to my work and pick me up on a Friday noontime for an early start. The guy I rode to work with on those mornings was jealous.
Now she does all the driving and I navigate with our smaller bumper pull. She does a good portion of the set up and tear down and most importantly the important pre-exit independent “are we ready” inspection.
She does get a lot of looks when she is driving thru the campground, some smiles, some envy, some appear jealous.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #16

Yes you can!

You can do it!

We just downsized from a big 5th Wheel to a Rockwood 2109s. Hitching up that 5th wheel involved climbing in and out of the truck bed which my old body had a hard time doing so my husband always did it. We got the trailer because I figured I could set it up or take it down in case something happened to him.

Anyway, on our first trip with the trailer I hitched up and set up everything by myself and it was easy peezy. Do as others have suggested and make a check list to follow and after a few times you will be a pro!
Suru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #17

Keep rocking it. While I do 99% of all driving with trl. I strongly suggest my wife at least do it occasionally. So that if ever an issue arises where I can’t she doesn’t have to leave trl. Also teaching my 13 year old daughter. She can’t get behind wheel but can do all hookups and setups by herself
Old 04-04-2019, 09:22 PM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Welcome from NJ! So cute, women doing manly RV stuff, lol. My wife is just along for the ride when it comes to anything vehicle. RV, car, whatever. If I don't do it, she's not interested. When I croak, she said she'll just sell everything.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schantile View Post
Of course you can! I take the trailer and my girlfriends out at least 1x a year. We have such a blast!
Old 04-04-2019, 11:59 PM   #20
bloodybill

hello and welcome
long live girl power
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote