Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Krudedawg
I'm a newbie to this forum

Hello, I just joined this forum because it looks like there are lots of informative threads here and plenty of friendly people. We just purchased an '06 Forest River Flagstaff 831BHSS. Picked it up from the dealer and went straight to the campground. Just spent the second weekend in it this past weekend. We are loving it so far but this is a totally new experience to us. We used an old 1971 14' Shasta before but most of the components never worked since we had it so it was not much more than a hard sided tent on wheels. This being the case, everything in the FR is new to me. Any tips or suggestions are more than welcomed.
I think my biggest concern so far is that I'm a little confused about the holding tanks. This unit has the normal fresh water tank, blackwater tank, and greywater tank. It also has a galley holding tank that is on a different outlet. i am assuming that black is obviously from toilet, grey is from shower and vanity sink, and galley is just from kitchen sink. So far, I have been dumping in normal order of: black then grey then galley but i seem to notice more odor from the grey tank so I'm wondering if the valves are actually reversed from what i was shown when i picked up the unit. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance and i hope to meet plenty of new buddies here on this forum.

Keith from NC
Krudedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
To begin, Welcome!!! Boy you must feel like you're in a ballroom compared to the 14 footer!!!

Hmmm. Are you closing all your valves after dumping? I have a similar set-up - though a bit more complex - and have no odors from the galley or other grey water tanks. Bu tI have heard of people experiencing odors caused by leaving their grey water valves open for convenience, unfortunately that allows the sewer gasses to enter. Sometimes odors rise when winds pressurize the vent pipe too, but that should affect all your tanks. I have read of other campers with plumbing mis-installs but don't know that I'd jump to that conclusion yet. Certainly it would be hard to confuse the black water plumbing and knive blades from the grey water ones, as they're much larger. Confusing the two grey water systems shouldn't create an odor, as neither tank should really have any 'sewer' smell.

I wonder if the previous owners drained poorly, and what you're smelling is decaying food particles? Maybe a good bleach disinfecting of both grey water tanks would help if that's the case.

Anyway, I'm sure other members will jump in with advice too, but I wish you luck!!

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #3

maybe i am badly mistaking then.... what i thought was galley has a big blade type and has no odor other than maybe a little dish detergent smell. it is plumbed alone and closer to the front of the rig. the other outlet has 2 smaller pull knobs and is mounted near the back of the unit. i was told that one was black and one was grey. one is labeled waste water and one is labeled sewer. the side labeled waste water seems to smell more. i have noticed that one valve must not be completely closing because there is a little water in the pipe when i remove the cap before opening either valve.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #4

I've never heard of a black water system using anything but 3" components... the knive valve assembly for a black water systerm should be noticably larger than the ones for either grey water.

You should probably double check with your dealer then; but try this test. Drain and flush everything really well. Close all your valves. Then run a few gallons of water down your kitchen/galley sink and pull open each knive valve - one at a time - and see which one dumps that water. Do the same thing with your tub. That shold clear up which valve is hooked to which system. If one of them is the large knive valve, tell your dealer because your black water tank won't drain properly or completely out of a small pipe. That will clog for sure!!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #5

First off to FRF!!!

I can't help you with which valve is which but Welshman had some good tips. Now the part where you say that "one valve must not be completely closing because there is a little water in the pipe when i remove the cap before opening either valve"... I had a similar problem after taking delivery on my rig. I hadn't taken it out yet but had put a few gallons of water in each tank plus the blue toilet chem (which I no longer use) in the black tank. Well...... after the next day I removed the cap and there was that good 'ol blue water. Crap! Well not literally as there 'twrent none in it yet . I figured it was a bad valve. Called the dealer up and told them what was going on and they said bring it by. I told 'em nope, "I'm not draggin my rig 66 mile round trip in traffic to fix a flippin valve" and that I'd pick one up from them. Said they didn't have one in stock. HUH??? But they would mail me one. OK fine. Mean time it's eating on me so I head out to CampingWorld and buy a new black valve (about $11). When I remove the one on the trailer I find a little piece of that foam insulation stuff stuck between the gaskets at the bottom of the knife blade. Cleaned that stuff out, put'er back together, put a few gallons of water back in the tank and no more leaks. Now I've got an extra valve when it eventually fails (and it will, Murphy's law and all). Soo what I'm sayin in the 'round about Southern way as we just like to hear ourselves talk 'cept I ain't talkin but typing and I really don't care for typing but that's the only venue here......... (dang I get to ramblin sometimes) That's all it may be. You may have a bit of trash in one of your valves. What you could do to test this is to either drain ALL of your tanks and then one at a time put a few gallons of water in each and check the next day for leakage. Then you know the offending valve.

As far as smell from you tanks. Is it coming into the rig? Is it just at the discharge area outside? Check this thread out regarding bathroom smells: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...read.php?t=462
Also, like Welshman said, even though it's a new rig you have, more than likely the grey tank smell would be coming from the galley and not the shower/vanity grey tank. Bits of food, greese, beverages..... and other such items in the galley tank can stink just as bad as the black tank.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #6

Keith,

Just noticed the sig "1999 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 (250,000+ miles)" You got me SMOKED on miles!! Not too many do. Right on!! Run 'em till they drop! Diesel or a gasser??

greg
Old 06-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #7

greg, its a Vortec 6.0 gasser. it is always past due for an oil change and it makes tons of noises that sounds like lifters or valves tickin but it still goes and i got my fingers crossed that it will keep going for a long time.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
First off to FRF!!!

I can't help you with which valve is which but Welshman had some good tips. Now the part where you say that "one valve must not be completely closing because there is a little water in the pipe when i remove the cap before opening either valve"... I had a similar problem after taking delivery on my rig. I hadn't taken it out yet but had put a few gallons of water in each tank plus the blue toilet chem (which I no longer use) in the black tank. Well...... after the next day I removed the cap and there was that good 'ol blue water. Crap! Well not literally as there 'twrent none in it yet . I figured it was a bad valve. Called the dealer up and told them what was going on and they said bring it by. I told 'em nope, "I'm not draggin my rig 66 mile round trip in traffic to fix a flippin valve" and that I'd pick one up from them. Said they didn't have one in stock. HUH??? But they would mail me one. OK fine. Mean time it's eating on me so I head out to CampingWorld and buy a new black valve (about $11). When I remove the one on the trailer I find a little piece of that foam insulation stuff stuck between the gaskets at the bottom of the knife blade. Cleaned that stuff out, put'er back together, put a few gallons of water back in the tank and no more leaks. Now I've got an extra valve when it eventually fails (and it will, Murphy's law and all). Soo what I'm sayin in the 'round about Southern way as we just like to hear ourselves talk 'cept I ain't talkin but typing and I really don't care for typing but that's the only venue here......... (dang I get to ramblin sometimes) That's all it may be. You may have a bit of trash in one of your valves. What you could do to test this is to either drain ALL of your tanks and then one at a time put a few gallons of water in each and check the next day for leakage. Then you know the offending valve.

As far as smell from you tanks. Is it coming into the rig? Is it just at the discharge area outside? Check this thread out regarding bathroom smells: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...read.php?t=462
Also, like Welshman said, even though it's a new rig you have, more than likely the grey tank smell would be coming from the galley and not the shower/vanity grey tank. Bits of food, greese, beverages..... and other such items in the galley tank can stink just as bad as the black tank.

greg
Jeez, sorry greg, I dozed off about half way though that one! hehee.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshman599 View Post
Jeez, sorry greg, I dozed off about half way though that one! hehee.
Ya know, I can almost hear the accent whilst you was saying that...

BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #10

Please let us know how things are hooked up krudedawg. k?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #11

Keith,

Congrats on the new Flagstaff 831BHSS.

One of my friend's DD & DSIL bought the Rockwood (8318SS) version of your TT. They set it up in my backyard for two months after Hurricane Katrina to live in while their house was being repaired. It was a very nice TT with lots of room.

Enjoy your new TT,
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote