Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian19889 View Post
Thanks for the input, I was pretty much decided on the weight distribution hitch, I just wanted to see what some people with much more experience had to say. Going to get one of these

Amazon.com: Camco 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit for RV - 1,000 lbs Capacity: Automotive
IMHO, that's a cheap old technology setup that relies on cheap friction antisway bars that you have to unhook to back up. not a big fan of the old chain-style WDH's.

seriously, get something better like the Equalizer. you can get one from RVW with free shipping, for about $440. and they have great prices on the Prodigy.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #22

A few more questions....I outfitted my Sequoia with a Tekonsha Primus IQ controller, and I have to say, they sure do scrimp on the amount of wire that they give you to work with! I wired my TBC up in the middle of my car, underneath the radio (wife sits close to the dash, didn't want her bashing her knees off of the controller), but I had to actually cut into each wire in my adapter and add about 3 feet of wire. I took the proper precautions, used butt connections and crimped each connection, then taped each one, and wrapped the whole thing in plastic wire loom...
When we go up to Camping World of Buffalo on saturday, they are going to do the whole walk through with the RV, set up, tear down, how to make everything work, etc. Anything specific that I should ask for/about? Also, I'm having it outfitted with a W/D hitch. I want to hook on and actually pull the thing down the road for 20 miles or so, is this something odd? I want to see how my vehicle is going to pull it. Am I being odd here? It's going to stay up in Buffalo until the snow goes away, but am I strange for wanting to hook on and see how it's going to tow?
Meadville, PA
Go Steelers!
brian19889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #23

Not odd at all... In my opinion, that should be standard procedure. In purchasing both of my TT's, one of the dealers shop guys (purchased from two different dealers) offered to ride along for pointers and suggestions... I gladly accepted. We didn't go 20 miles... But we did both city and highway stretches. They also were able to help me figure out how to fine tune my break control.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Replies in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian19889 View Post
A few more questions....

When we go up to Camping World of Buffalo on saturday, they are going to do the whole walk through with the RV, set up, tear down, how to make everything work, etc. Anything specific that I should ask for/about? This will help ... Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

Also, I'm having it outfitted with a W/D hitch. What hitch did you decide on?

I want to hook on and actually pull the thing down the road for 20 miles or so, is this something odd?I want to see how my vehicle is going to pull it. Am I being odd here? It's a good idea in general if this is your first time with a trailer and that hitch. Although, you probably don't need 20 miles. Just try for a variety of speeds and surfaces. Also, backup with it.

But understand that even a knowledgeable tech at CW will set your hitch for the current rig (truck and trailer). Since your trailer will be completely empty (and you may or may not have your family with you), you will need to adjust the hitch once you are fully loaded for a trip. So, take it down the road to check for any red flags but plan to adjust the hitch when you get home.

It's going to stay up in Buffalo until the snow goes away, but am I strange for wanting to hook on and see how it's going to tow? The only real downside I see is road salt.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #25

Went up to Camping World yesterday and got the walk through. Feels official now! Granted, my TT is still in Hamburg, NY, I feel like an rv owner now. Took videos as we were being shown everything, hopefully to avoid confusion at the campsite. Had them set my hitch up, and we pulled it down the road for about 15 miles in 30+ crosswinds. Pulled nice and straight. We are pretty excited now. Actually going to bring it home in April sometime. Can't wait for camping season!! . Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1393162473.569297.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	46667
Meadville, PA
Go Steelers!
brian19889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #26

New to the forum, first post, so please forgive any faux pas!
Trying to determine best WD/Sway Bar configuration to pull my Rockwood 21RS Roo...loaded, it will weigh about 5k lbs...my TV is a 2013 GMC Sierra with factory trailer package, 5.3L V8. I've looked at various online distributors, and it seems like the Reese or Equalizer packages are either too small or too big for my setup. Tongue Weight, by my estimation would be max of 650lbs with bicycles in back of TV and kayaks racked above...any advice as to best choice for hitch size? I'm new to TT's, moving up from small folding trailer. Thanks in advance for anticipated info. This is a great and informative forum.
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coolyard View Post
New to the forum, first post, so please forgive any faux pas!

Trying to determine best WD/Sway Bar configuration to pull my Rockwood 21RS Roo...loaded, it will weigh about 5k lbs...my TV is a 2013 GMC Sierra with factory trailer package, 5.3L V8. I've looked at various online distributors, and it seems like the Reese or Equalizer packages are either too small or too big for my setup. Tongue Weight, by my estimation would be max of 650lbs with bicycles in back of TV and kayaks racked above...any advice as to best choice for hitch size? I'm new to TT's, moving up from small folding trailer. Thanks in advance for anticipated info. This is a great and informative forum.

Forget what everyone else says! You need a diesel to pull that thing!

But all seriousness, congrats and have fun! Find out your tongue weight loaded up and get the next size bigger. My old TT was 900lbs loaded and I went with #1200 bars on the Reese dual cam setup.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #28

light weight wd

Chk out the Anderson W.D. hitch I was going to get one but traded our 2012 freedom express 296reds for a 2014 CC Cottage 40 crs.
poofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 PM   #29

As we learned when purchasing our Sunnybrook TT back several years ago. Took us several pulls before we found out that the hitch mechanic that installed our original hitch and sway bar combination did not a clue.
Step one, place you TT on a flat surface, front and back height must did same, make sure it is absolutely level. Back your tow vehicle with the hitch ball where you normally tow with it. If the ball is to high, lower it, if to low, raise it. After this adjustment, hook the ball and hitch up. Now see where the tow vehicle is resting when attached. If the two vehicles are level when attached, then now install your sway bars, don't hurt yourself when doing this, just make them snug, too tight and you transfer to much weight too the front of the tow vehicle, not good!!!!!
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coolyard View Post
Tongue Weight, by my estimation would be max of 650lbs with bicycles in back of TV and kayaks racked above...any advice as to best choice for hitch size?
not sure what you're using to get your estimation. because bikes and kayaks in the truck, won't do anything to change the trailer's hitch weight.

according to the 2009 Roo brochure, the bogus "dry" hitch weight is 594lbs.
now add 40lbs. for a battery and 40lbs. of propane and you're already at 674lbs. before you add cargo and water.
http://www.uvsconsole.com/manager/ad...0711336060.pdf

my Roo 23SS has a similar "dry" hitch weight and i use the Equalizer 1000/10000lbs. WDH.
have used it for over 7 years now, with no issues and just love its simplicity and ease of use.

and next time, it's better to start your own thread, instead of piggybacking on someone elses, when the topic is different that the original post.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 AM   #31

Hitch Rec for 21rs Roo

Dan
Thanks for the information...I will respond in a new thread.
Jim
Renogy Solar Suitcase
Progressive Industries EMS
Sea Eagle 420 Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Jimsue is offline   Reply With Quote