Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Jumping in! Ordered new TT today

Ok, I did it -
After 15 years Im selling my old friend the 98 Coleman Grandview SP tent trailer and placed the order for a brand spanking new Mini Lite 2306 today! I have done a considerable amount of research over the past year in making my decision on this floor plan. The biggest obstacle was finding the correct trailer best suited for my 2001 Toyota Tundra 4.7l . The Tundra is primarily limited by its payload capacity at of 1406 lbs. Another consideration is the 128" Tundra wheelbase limits the length of the trailer. With a dry/hitch 356lbs and dry unit weight of 3630lbs and 23'8' in length, I have finally found the trailer that will allow my Tundra to haul various combinations of my wife, 3 grandkids, dirtbikes, and associated equipment within a comfortable towing safety margin.

After doing some research on the Mini Lites, I joined this forum to get an idea of the towing experience of others with similar TV/Trailer combination. (example; Wolfpack 21643). I also paid a great deal of attention to the "weight police" comments. A huge thanks to those individuals! I have found this forum to be informative and enjoyable.

The 2306 will not arrive for about 8 weeks as Im from Hillsboro, Oregon and it will obviously take time to get here. My wife is already planing some trips. Finally I will not have the worry of closing up a wet tent trailer at the camp site to take home to open again and pray for a dry day to dry out and close again.

I do have a question-
1. What is the difference of the base dry axle weight and the base/dry unit weight? Is the fresh water included in the dry unit weight?

Stovocor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Congrats on your new Mini Lite 2306. Hope your wait time goes quickly.

2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Welcome friend!
We are in Hillsboro too. North of Main on NE 38th.
We went from a popup to the TT - which we also ordered
Tom Petty says "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part" and it's true.

"1. What is the difference of the base dry axle weight and the base/dry unit weight? Is the fresh water included in the dry unit weight?"
The dry axle weight may not include the dry tongue weight. Water is not included.Dry is dry. No propane, no water, no nothing.
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Thx for welcome ! I also work at Ronler acres like you - Contractor, but have been here for 16 years. Im a bit nervous about the size trailer and everything associated with it. Just have to get used to it now. No turning back - order has been placed.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
Congrats on the new trailer. We bought a used 2012 microlite 23 this year, similar floor plan and weights to your 2306. I think my only complaint to the low profile of the trailer is the sewer connection. I've been to a few campgrounds this year where I had to raise the trailer to get a down hill grade to the sewer pipe. Other than that it has been great. I did upgrade my tv from a 4.2L to 5.3L just a month ago.
Tim & Tracy, Jennifer (14), Alyssa (10), our dog Jazy (5)

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
Previous TV: 2006 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L V8
2005 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2L I6
DisDad01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
You'll like the Mini Lite. I'm pulling with a 4.2 like DisDad01 was...fine up to about 55-60 and then the wind drag really started to hit it. I went from a popup as well and had the same anxiety about pulling a full size. It didn't last but a few miles. Not a whole lot of difference. Something to consider, my popup had brakes on it, so I already had a controller. I know a lot of popups don't however so, if you don't already have one, get a brake controller immediately.

You did well on the research. The Trailblazer I pull it with is just a little shorter than your truck and I can say I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling anything longer than what I have..I can feel it want to push the truck a little in high wind. You have a little longer wheelbase and a little longer may have the same experience. Without looking it up, I seem to remember my trailer coming in at just over your weight (I'm 2 ft. shorter, but with a slide). My 4.2 pulls the weight fine, so your 4.7 should as well...just don't expect to win any drag races or for it to like steep grades.
2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Thanks for the feedback on your 4.2 experience. I know the Tundra will be "tasked", Lots of hills here in pacific northwest and the columbia gorge is almost always windy. Im hoping to get about 6 years of family camping here in Oregon, then retirement will allow me longer trips and stronger TV. Thanks again for the posts!