Old 08-11-2014, 11:42 PM   #1

Just Bought 2015 Salem Hemisphere 327RES

Hi,
Just upgraded from a WolfPack 27WP toy hauler to a Salem 327RES fifth wheel. Overall we're pleased with the unit. One thing has me puzzled. About 9" on the side of the mattress toward the bath is unsupported. Anyone else out there with a 327RES or other Salem with a 66" "King" bed? If so, how did you fix this. I already contacted Salem's warranty dept, but still waiting for a response. Meantime, can't really use the bed. Anyone got a quick fix? Basically I have a 57" wide plywood base under a 66" wide mattress

Old 08-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi there and welcome to the forums! I'm not sure about the mattress issue - Did you buy it from the dealer new? Hopefully others will drop in and offer some suggestions.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #3

Welcome and congrats on your new Salem 327RES. Hope you get your mattress issue resolved.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Infractee

I have the twin to yours in the Heritage Glen version. I did notice that on that side the mattress is not supported real well, it is similar on the end but not as bad. Mine is currently at dealer, hopeful that it will be done in the next few weeks. I will measure mine and see what it is then.

I do not feel in any way that the bed is "unusable" tho.

Conversely, had a similar issue on our last camper, Rockwood 8316SS, the end of the mattress overhung the plywood base by about 10". I added plywood to the end of it to correct.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

Yes I bought it new. Mattress is what Salem shipped. 9 " unsupported makes it virtually impossible for two people to use the bed. Furthermore, we as repeat Forest River customers should not have to deal with this kind of issue. Loose fittings, minor leaks, etc are tolerable and even expected with the level of QC in the industry. Not properly supporting mattresses, and calling a 66" wide mattress a "King", in my opinion is neither expected, nor acceptable. I am most disappointed in that Salem is not responding to eiither my emails nor my phone calls. I've always had first class customer service response from FR in the past.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #6

Salem

Hi-- I haven't been on the forum much lately, I intended to reply sooner. We bought a Hemi 336rlt about a month ago, had it out for a 10 day maiden voyage and everything worked well. We have the same issue with the mattress. Don't know what the hell they were thinking. When we get back after Labor Day, I think I will sister some plywood in some fashion to bring it out flush with the mattress. There are a few issues in the electric area I wish they would have done differently like no scare lights, no switch for the electric water heater on the inside, all interior lights on one switch even the two lights above the island. I like the high ceiling, but having switches that I cannot reach doesn't do me much good. Minor things,really, and we the unit otherwise. Good Luck with your mattress.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:07 PM   #7
Site Team

The bed issues doesn't sound like a good design so I hope you will share this with FR. In the meantime can you make some type of support for the plywood? I hate to have someone get injured or something.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

Fixing the Bed "Hangover"

Thanks for all the responses. Finally gave up on FR responding to this. Every time I call I go to voice mail, then No responses. Lined up the bed with edge of plywood and remeasured. The actual unsupported portion on the bath side is 8+ inches. I went to Lowes and bought 5 heavy duty shelf brackets, and had the cut two pieces of 1/2" plywood 6 1/2" wide. Total cost $53.00. Had to suspend project to take wife to Hosp for some outpatient hernia surgery. Will install in a few days and try to post pics. We had a few problems like this on our FR toy hauler and just fixed ourselves. I become more convinced daily that the FR designers are not RV'ers. Oh well, It will be fixed in a few days and we love the rest of the unit. Nothing wrong with the quality, just a design flaw on bed frame.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
DDC

Sounds like you have a queen support but a king mattress, not going to work to well.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Our 282 RK has an unsupported shortie mattress. My feet dangle in space!

1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem