Old 09-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
Just bought a 2011 Forest River and need help

Hi -
We just bought a 2011 Forest River Lexington 283TS. We live in Abilene TX. I'm glad there is a forum like this. Although we've had 3 other class Cs before I use these type forums to figure out a lot things. We've owned a 1998 Mini Winnie; 2004 Winnebago View and a 2002 Rialta. We've tried them all! Currently we use the RVs for short trips but we are less than a year from work retirement and can't wait for long, long trips!

Currently, I'm having some issues figuring out the battery power disconnect and an inverter that has been installed.

The dealer we bought it from said to leave the battery disconnect switch on when we are plugged in so the batteries would charge. Over the last week, I was preparing the RV for future travel. I had it plugged in, battery switch on. I also noticed there is an inverter installed under the passenger's seat and it was on but I'm not really sure what it was being used for.

Last night, when I entered the RV, I noticed the inverter was beeping; I assumed low battery. When I tried to start the RV the battery was dead. So I charged it and it started easily. I turned the coach battery switch off. I also turned the inverter switch off.

When I turned the coach battery switch off the ceiling lights installed in the RV no longer come on, but the lights I have plugged in to the outlet do. This is different than our previous RVs.

Does this mean when we are plugged in for a stay, we won't have overhead lights unless we have the coach batteries on and the batteries will drain?

I'm probably missing something simple here; please help. If anyone had the time and won't mind, I'd love a phone call to go over some of the different aspects of a Forest River.

ekrobinett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
Location: Home of the 4 time Super Bowl Champions Patriots and we'll be there again
Kim Welcome to the forum. Your best bet on getting some advice on your problem would be to navigate to the forum home page then scroll down to Motorhomes>Lexingtons and ask your questions there

Mary and Me
2015 2650s

2015 Jeep Cherokee
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
I don't have a Lexington but here is what I think based on your explanation. You should have separate vehicle and house batteries. The battery disconnect only applies to the house batteries and protects those (2 in my case on the Georgetown) from being discharged by phantom sources during storage. You would leave the switch connected during normal use.

I suspect, like mine, that the plug the inverter was plugged into is connected to the vehicle battery and that the plug stays live when the key is off. Mine do. So, the real issue is, what is the inverter for and do I need it while camping? If you need it while camping, you might see if you can wire it to the house battrries.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the forum and happy campling.
coupevillefish is online now   Reply With Quote

2011, forest river