Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Just bought a 2013 Roo!!!!

Were a family of 4 that just bought our first hybrid trailer and looking forward to trying it out thanksgiving weekend here in northern ontario.
We have tons of stuff to buy for it (like everything). Can anyone tell any good spots to buy trailer/Roo accessories near Toronto. Or is it worth the drive to Buffalo's Caming World store (and they stock much?)
realfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congratulations!

I can't help you with the places to buy near Toronto, but I've always had the best luck with Amazon and a few stores with a large online presence. But, that might not work as well shipping to Canada from what I hear.

What model Roo did you buy?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

We bought a 2013 Roo 19foot. We are now looking a smaller SUV that will pull it. My Santa FE won't do it, but I can borrow the inlaws F250 for the mean time.
Always looking for suggestions with this trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Welcome and congratulations!

I can't help you with the places to buy near Toronto, but I've always had the best luck with Amazon and a few stores with a large online presence. But, that might not work as well shipping to Canada from what I hear.

What model Roo did you buy?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats and welcome to the forum .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is this the one pictured below?

You are right that the 4cyl on that Santa Fe and its suspension won't handle this trailer.

The easiest recommendation for a tow vehicle is to buy a vehicle that can tow 6,000lbs (4770/80% = 5,963lbs) or more. That would more than cover towing this trailer. But, might also be overkill and take you into a larger vehicle than you want.

Are you familiar with towing calculators? Most people use them to verify that their new trailer will work with their existing vehicle or to see if they are overloaded.

You, on the other hand, are in a nice position that you intend to buy a new vehicle to fit your trailering needs. You can play around with one like this to get an idea of what tow ratings you will need.

Assume that the tongue weight will be 550-600lbs and not the 370lbs they list in the brochure.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	19460  

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Team

try your local Walmart's RV section first.
most basic RV stuff is available there.
then you can move on to more specific RV stuff, like Popup Gizmos, the #1 hybrid and popup mod.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #7

Yuup,,,, this is the Roo we get next weekend. Love the layout of this hybrid. Anyone else have one?

I am leaning towards ordering a Jeep Liberty with tow package and a rating of around 5000lbs tow capacity. I cannot believe how some people and some dealers are letting people pull these with mini vans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Is this the one pictured below?

You are right that the 4cyl on that Santa Fe and its suspension won't handle this trailer.

The easiest recommendation for a tow vehicle is to buy a vehicle that can tow 6,000lbs (4770/80% = 5,963lbs) or more. That would more than cover towing this trailer. But, might also be overkill and take you into a larger vehicle than you want.

Are you familiar with towing calculators? Most people use them to verify that their new trailer will work with their existing vehicle or to see if they are overloaded.

You, on the other hand, are in a nice position that you intend to buy a new vehicle to fit your trailering needs. You can play around with one like this to get an idea of what tow ratings you will need.

Assume that the tongue weight will be 550-600lbs and not the 370lbs they list in the brochure.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator
Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #8

I did hit the Walmart in Buffalo last week and got a few things, but it seems the Walmart in the Toronto area have very littlw RV stuff. Might make a day trip to Buffalo to hit a Walmart and Camping World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
try your local Walmart's RV section first.
most basic RV stuff is available there.
then you can move on to more specific RV stuff, like Popup Gizmos, the #1 hybrid and popup mod.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #9

Hey Realfam, welcome to the forum! I'm an Ontario boy too... Grew up on Georgian Bay, Parry Sound. Georgian Bay is hard to beat IMHO. If you ever get to Manitoulin Island be sure to check out the Providence Bay T&T Park. Lovely park, great unspoiled beach. (but don't tell anyone, I want to get a spot there next time)
Norm
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfam View Post
Yuup,,,, this is the Roo we get next weekend. Love the layout of this hybrid. Anyone else have one?

I am leaning towards ordering a Jeep Liberty with tow package and a rating of around 5000lbs tow capacity. I cannot believe how some people and some dealers are letting people pull these with mini vans....
Selecting a tow vehicle is not just following the published ratings. I'd be very skeptical of thinking a short wheel base, v-6 SUV like a Jeep Liberty would handle a 5000 lb trailer satisfactorily. Som people report no problems towing in a situation that everyone thinks is overloaded. Others can't even handle 1/2 of their "ratings" satisfactorily.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #11

Yes Norm, Manitoulin is on the list of places to see along with Algonquin. Thanks for the tip on the park, making note of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
Hey Realfam, welcome to the forum! I'm an Ontario boy too... Grew up on Georgian Bay, Parry Sound. Georgian Bay is hard to beat IMHO. If you ever get to Manitoulin Island be sure to check out the Providence Bay T&T Park. Lovely park, great unspoiled beach. (but don't tell anyone, I want to get a spot there next time)
Norm
Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #12

Welcome to the forum. We are in NWO, what do you call Northern Ontario?
John
2013 WJ 3008W
JohnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote