Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Just bought my first trailer - 2015 XLR 24HFS

Been wanting one for a while now and finally found one and decided to pull the trigger. Picked her up this past weekend from New Hampshire. The VW was a champ towing it. No issues at all. Can't wait for our annual Indy MotoGP trip coming up in a couple weeks... no more $600+ hotel costs!

The crappy DUAL radio will be replaced with a nice Alpine this week...

1 Queen bed in the front, 2 electric queen bunk beds, and a fold out dinette that makes a 4th queen bed. Plenty of sleeping space.

Electric awning with full LED bar for plenty of light when partying. Also has 2 factory installed outside speakers (Kicker speakers).

Test fitting. Won't typically be taking 3 bikes, but they fit if needed (just have to watch the weight)

I do have a couple quick questions:

1) Does anyone know if the A/C can be run on low? It seems like it only runs on auto. When we gave the trailer it's shake down run Saturday night, it seemed like the A/C was just all out and not turning off at all... temp was set at 70* and it wasn't that hot outside.

2) I would like to run an additional cable outside by the speakers. Does anyone know of an 'easy' place to tap into and easily be able to route the cable wire? I know I could just tee off at the cable hook-up when we have a site with cable, but I'd like to be able to run it off the antenna as well.

3) What size TV have you guys mounted? It seems like it is a very weak board where it would mount so I'm probably going to try to get my hand in there and bolt the tv mount completely through with some large fender washers instead of just using lag bolts...

4) Any other opinions / input / recommendations that I should look out for or take care of now while she is still new?

Thanks!!!
klarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #2

Congrats on your 2015 XLR 24HFS. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi there! Nice looking trailer too! Ditto about sharing the pictures - it's nice to see what the RV looks like. I have a much simply TT so I'm not able to offer any advice to your questions but hopefully others will be by to share.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Welcome and I will join others thanking you for the pictures. We guys love our pictures! Boy, VWs have come along way. I pulled a 800# pop-up with a '70 van and it had its hands full in the mountains. I remember grabbing second on a moderate climb. I'm no 24HFS expert, some would say, no expert at anything, but my AC is all or nothing. There is a silly option that causes the furnace and AC fan to run at the same time. My AC is ducted and although loud, it is better with ducts open and bedroom doors closed. I have a 29HFS and the AC can't keep up with 90 degree temps. I close off the toy bay duct openings and its so, so. Also, my TH already has an outside cable connection, but I installed a sat receiver and modified the existing jack to allow all TVs to have either Sat or Air. So, no help on running another coax. You will have to come off the ceiling plate where the antenna lead terminates, I believe. TV: I installed a 26" LCD TV on a swivel, swing out mount. I secure the TV with lags being careful not to go all the way through the way... its on an interior wall in my TH... I have rigged cleats onto the ceiling with straps around the TV while towing, so I don't have to take the TV down... a little hokey, but it works, knock wood. Not sure of where your TV is mounted, but if its an outside wall... look out... dems very thin walls! I wonder if you have checked your wheel lugs... it says... 100# and do it 50, 100, etc. miles... make sure you do it, if you haven't. Something else, I installed a fold up tongue jack extension that allows me to tilt the trailer a lot higher for loading low clearance bikes. Mine only has about 5.5" at the center, I can really get her butt down with this thing. Stops a lot of cranking too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140629_161403 (Copy).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	59007  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, xlr